General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tubular Tires Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-25 2:49 PM

New user

Subject: Tubular Tires
Need some advice..... Got race wheels this year and went Tubular. Bike shop put them on, raced 2X w/ them and a third tomorrow..... no issues. My concern is my 1/2 in Sep. I have no experience changing them out and am concerned w/ getting a flat during the race which I have spent the last five moths training for. I would rather not rip off the bike store mounted tire just to practice.

If I did get a flat I am confident I could get the old one of the rim (although I am told this is a pain). What concerns me is mounting the new one. I have been told that the current glue will adhere to the new tire and allow me to finish my race as long as I don't corner too hard. Has anyone experienced this?

Is there a product out there I should be carrying with my spare tire/ inflation system and tools for a tubular tire? Any special tool for getting the wheel of? Any procedure tips for an emergency tubular tire change?

I would appreciate any help you can offer in alleviating my fears. Thanks.

2007-08-25 5:23 PM
in reply to: #940166

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Tubular Tires
Talk to your LBS - they might have a rim around that you can practice on. Or, if you give them a call, they will probably at least have a chance to glue someone else's tubular between now and then and you could watch the process.

As far as getting it off - you'll want a razor blade (or something similar) in your flat kit to get the tire off. If you have a flat, you have two options, one being slowly slicing the glue on the opposite side of the valve. Once you get enough glue cut away, you can use your levers to pry the tire off. The other, if you don't care about the tire, is to slice through the tire, put your thumb in the tube and rip. The tire is toast but it's fast

At that point, you want a preglued and prestretched tubular that the existing glue should adhere to so that you can finish the race.

As far as products to repair/prevent flats, there is Vittoria Pit Stop that is supposed to fix small punctures and reinflate the tire - I have this in my flat kit but have yet to use it. Also, some people use Slime which is supposed to be a preventative measure - no experience with that.

Hope this helps,

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tubular Tires Rss Feed