General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
Tuxedo Brothers Event Mgmt
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 17m 41s
Overall Rank = 246/560
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 27/42
Pre-race routine:

Got to bed too late (midnight-ish), got up 45 minutes late (4:45ish), out of waffles, had Schwann's French Toast Sticks.
Event warmup:

Got to the park ~6:15, still raining, took bike to rack, got bodymarked, went back to truck for nap. Woke back up @ 7:15, Moose just got there, set up transition area, and just chilled.
Swim
  • 10m 13s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming was definetly a full contact sport today. I have always started in the first wave, but with the sell out, they restructured to add additional waves, and I was now in wave 2. I caught a few people from the first wave by the first bouy (200M). I was slower, but not terribly slower.
What would you do differently?:

Swim lots before the race - due to weather/scheduleing, I have not been able to get in the water for a few weeks.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

No issues here, all in all this was not a bad transition. I simplified, no socks, no sunglasses, no nonsense. Just put on helmet, slipped on shoes, and ran on out. I even passed a few people on the run out, as well as at the "mount/dismount" line. I never understand why people tend to clog up that area, run an extra 10 paces, and don't clog up the area.

Learn to put shoes on while on the bike. I need to try this a few times - Eagle Creek may be difficult, as the start is uphill.
Bike
  • 32m 6s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Side Stitch on the first 1/3 of course, when it finally settled down, I was able to get out and run it. I attacked the last hill too early, I should have spined up the hill. There was a group of us riding together, and kept passing each other.

Ride lots in practice. Drink more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Had some issues getting bike racked, though only cost me >5 sec. Had some jelly legs at first, but by the time I was exiting transition, I had my road legs back, and was able to start striding.

Shoes were wet from rain, I forgot to cover them back up after T1. Should have covered them back up, but they would have gotten wet anyways.
Run
  • 32m 13s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I apparently can't figure how to run faster. I felt better the last 1/2 of the run, and was able to pick the pace back up.

I need to work on my running still. I felt better than last time, though that may be because I was apparently slower.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, some walking and some minor stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather was definetly a limiting factor today. I think my conditioning could have been better. I needed more sleep, and probably some sort of a warmup. I pulled one of my quads in my right leg today, it's a bit sore, and that is after pulling one in my left leg on the hills workout this week that resulted in a 3" bruise above my knee cap and below my knee cap.

Event comments:

I think Don Carr orders rain for every one of these in August to change things up a bit. Aside from the weather, the Tuxedo Brothers came through with another great race!

Last updated: 2007-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:13 | 547 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/42
Overall: 101/560
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Clockwise Rectangle. BlueGreen Algae in the water, they were offering to refund the entry fees if you didn't want to swim. Toxicity within acceptable levels (acceptable to who?). With the large amounts of rain, water was fairly nasty and smelled a bit as well, probably from local rainwater runoff. Additionally, 5 minutes prior to the start the thunder started up.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:06 | 10 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/42
Overall: 193/560
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Wet, wet, wet. Road was slick, turns were slow, and had to slow down a bit on downhills as the rain was stinging my face. Several spots in the pavement warranted some attention, which slowed things down on the ride a bit.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:13 | 03 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/42
Overall: 494/560
Performance: Below average
Course: Same flat out and back as normal, wet roads, and paint lines slick.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-25 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed