Council Bluffs YMCA
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 19s
Overall Rank = 91/118
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/22
Pre-race routine:

Wife woke me up 15 minutes before alarm clock and told me to get up (4:15). Shower. Toast and fruit snacks for breakfast. Followed Jeremy over to race site.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching while I listened to race instructions.
Swim
  • 27m 20s
  • 1000 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Terrible swim. Started from beach area on the outside of the first wave (males and teams). Felt like I was moving pretty good in the water. From what my wife and family tells me, I ended up way outside of the bouy line. They thought I was at least 50 yards outside. Thought I was sighting the turn bouy well but obviously not. Rounded the bouy and noticed that there were several people hanging on the bouy. Rounded well and found myself well outside the bouys again. As soon as I could touch walked into the beach. My dad thought I prabably added 200 to 300 yards to my swim. Didn't think it was that bad until I saw the pictures. Time includes run up beach and into the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Need to practice more with sighting on longer swims. Maybe start on the outside and get moved into the bouy line faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting shirt on. Helmet, gloves, shoes and socks went fairly well.

Push a little harder through transitions.
Bike
  • 59m 20s
  • 18.29 miles
  • 18.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a very enjoyable ride. Due to my lack of training lately I kind of held back on the bike a little. Lap around the lake was nice. Only one short section of trail. Quite a few corners so hard to keep a quick pace. Out and back section on trail was a little more tricky. Hard to pass and had to watch out for the leaders who were flying back. Passed, what I felt like, was quite a few people. Got passed by a few really fast bikes, not sure what they were doing back with me. Stopped on the way back in and gave a guy one of my spare tubes. Might have cost me 30 seconds but made me feel pretty good. Very nice scenery on the bike and really enjoyed myself.

Push myself harder. Hadn't done many bricks or a race of this distance so wanted to keep something in the tank for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Had rack right next to entrance. Helmet off. A little trouble with gloves.

Try and get faster.
Run
  • 1h 02m 28s
  • 6.34 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

After leaving the transition area, received some needed cheers from the family. Found a nice steady pace to start out with. Passed by some people right on the start. Stopped to retie both of my shoes. First two miles felt really good. Started to get thirsty. First drink station was near mile three. Took a few good drinks and the rest over my head. Just after mile three started to catch and pass a few people with my steady pace. At mile 3.5 started to feel a blister on my right foot and the outside of my knee started to bother me. Just try to keep up my pace. As I neared the end was passed by two people. Wanted to really push last couple of miles but the tank was getting pretty empty. Ran down the finish shoot to the roar of my cheering section, which seemed to be the biggest once again.

More and better quality training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked with family. Couldn't find anything to drink, just some snacks to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, training and training.

Event comments:

Needed more boats in the water (only had two and might have kept me on course better). A few more volunteers on bike course since it was kind of narrow with lots of sharp turns. Definately more drink stations on the run. Only had one, could have used two or three more.

Last updated: 2007-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:20 | 1000 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/22
Overall: 106/118
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Out and back from beach area.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:20 | 18.29 miles | 18.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/22
Overall: 69/118
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: One lap around lake and then onto trails for an out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:02:28 | 06.34 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/22
Overall: 89/118
Performance: Average
Course: One lap around the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-26 4:22 PM

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
Subject: Black Squirrel Triathlon

2007-08-26 6:32 PM
in reply to: #940885

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Black Squirrel Triathlon

good race, way to stick to it and make it happen in spite of the interruptions to your training

:-)

2007-08-26 10:22 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Dude... ONE aid station on the run! What a crock! Nice job on your race. Did you stay overnight in the area?
2007-08-26 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Nice job. And by the way, what was that harassing comment you made as I met you coming out of T2?

Edited by jeremy_424 2007-08-26 10:35 PM
2007-08-29 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
western iowa, almost nebraska.
I couldn't believe they only had one aide station for a 6.3 miles. The lady at the start even made said there are water stations on the run. If I had known that I would have carried a bike bottle with me. No fluids man, I blew up! on the run. cramped bigger than life. Good race! way to finish strong considering some poor planning for race officials.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Squirrel Triathlon Rss Feed