Lake Norman YMCA/Setup Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 5s
Overall Rank = 74/399
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/22
Pre-race routine:

Up about 4am had some toast with pb and honey and OJ. About a 40 minute drive to the race site. Set up transition and had a banana about an hour before the start and a gel about 20 minutes before, sipped on gu20.
Event warmup:

did a mile run out along parts of the run course and about 200 yards of swimming in the lake to check out the sight lines.
Swim
  • 12m 36s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up to the front and inside, seemed like a lot of the guys were staying in the shallow water before the start, and there were fewer of us further out in the water. Got a decent start. There were about 3 guys that were around me and I quickly got in behind them. Stayed in the draft for the first half of the swim. Shortly before the first buoy there was some from the previous wave. Between the first buoy and second buoy it got really crazy with lots of slower swimmers to work through. By then the draft was gone, not sure where I was in relation to them. Just started going around people as quickly as possible, avoiding those breaststoke kickers!
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, maybe I could have swum a little faster, but given the hot water, and traffic I felt like I swam a pretty strong race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Pretty decent run from the swim exit to TA. Put shoes on then helmet and glasses on and that's it. I found a stick of body glide in my bike shoes that must have gotten in there, took me a second to get that out of there after surprisingly finding it, probably cost me a couple of seconds. I didn't really have an ideal rack position as they were assigned, so I had to go clear across the length of the TA to get out. (8/22 in AG)

check my shoes before the race.
Bike
  • 48m 52s
  • 16.8 miles
  • 20.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I did ok here. I was stronger on the first half of the course than the second. I think I faded a bit towards the end. The packs were pretty thick in the first sections of the course. Tried to stay out of them as best I could. My average speed continue to improve, so I can't complain, just gotta keep on training. Had about 1/2 a bottle of gu20 out there.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I tried to get out of my shoes before the mount line. Was kind of messy and didn't really work out so well. I had one shoe out, but not the other, so I hopped off the bike and took off the one shoe and ran with it into transition. Things were pretty quick there, put on my running shoes (no socks) and grabbed me belt and took off. It was pretty messy, but relatively quick (6/22 in AG)

practice a flying dismount before the race...realize that my shoes will drag on the ground if I don't do it correctly!
Run
  • 22m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Immediately into the run I felt pretty good. I slowly kicked up the pace until it was really tough and just tried to keep it there. The hill in the middle mile was pretty tough but the downhill in the 3rd mile was nice. Dumped water on my head at the aid stations as it was getting pretty sunny/warm out and there was no shade. Tried to drink a sip at one spot but realized that I'd have to slow down to get it down the hatch, so didn't try that. Got past by a couple of guys in my age group, but past a few others. Definitely my best run in a tri so far.

Not too much, just keep on improving my fitness. Maybe try to mark a guy who passes me earlier on and try to stick with him and see how much it hurts.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, met up with my brother and sister in law. stretched out.

Event comments:

Really good organization. Well run race. Bike was a little crowded and there was some packs so maybe there needs to be some more rules enfocement, but there were some motorbikes out there to watch things. Didn't stick around for post-race stuff.

Last updated: 2007-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:36 | 820 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/22
Overall: 19/399
Performance: Average
Suit: tri shorts
Course: in water start, rectangular course, about 300 meters out 100 meters across and then 300 meters back before turning into the finishing beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:52 | 16.8 miles | 20.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/22
Overall: 133/399
Wind: Little
Course: quick ride through town and then out into some country roads with a few hills. Nothing too crazy, but there were a couple of reasonable climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:36 | 03.11 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/22
Overall: 96/399
Performance: Good
Course: neighborhood roads adjacent to the YMCA. A few moderate hills mixed in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-26 8:09 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: Lake Norman YMCA Sprint

2007-08-26 8:57 PM
in reply to: #941209

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Lake Norman YMCA Sprint
Great race! Sorry I haven't/didn't meet you. Hoping I can hit your times at next years race.
2007-08-27 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Super race - way to go!!!  Don't you just hate those breast strokers on the swim!!!!  You are going to rock the A-town oly in a couple of weeks.   Congrats!!!
2007-08-27 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great race - very nice splits in every discipline. Rockin run at the end as well. Looks like all your hard work is paying off!

2007-08-27 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Way to go!  All your hard work is continually paying off.
2007-08-28 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Nice work out there. I would practice flying dismounts every single time you go out for a ride. I don't ever take my shoes off my bike unless I am transporting the bike on my car. Make it part of the routine every day....

In all...a great race..

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Norman YMCA Sprint Rss Feed