Wichita Falls, Texas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 10m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. Got ready. Loaded up the car and headed to Wichita Falls. Followed all of the cars with bikes to the race site. Ate a Kashi bar and drank lots of water. Drank a bottle of "pickle juice" which was one of the event sponsors. We lined up with the second group even though we were suppose to be in the third group. Charles was psyched up for his "non-stop 100 miler". While we were waiting impatiently to start, a helicopter was video taping over the huge starting crowd...it disappeared for a bit. The next thing we knew...the big jets did their fly by, the cannon sounded and we were off! Well about 6 minutes later...not too bad! On my way out I heard some one calling my name and I looked over and saw Marcia and Rick (from Acme).
Bike
  • 4h 10m
  • 62.14 miles
  • 14.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I stopped at all 5 rest stops but skipped the last one at the AirForce base. My hydration and nutrition went very well. I really loved the pickle juice...what a great idea for HOT weather training/racing!

At mile 40, my phone rang...it was Charles. He said he was heading back to Witchita Falls because he crashed and messed up his bike. I was just glad he was okay.
What would you do differently?:

More outdoor hill training rides before this event next year.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race, I called Charles and he was at the medic tent...so off I went. His wife, Teresa, had arrived and was making sure he was taken care of. He is so silly...he went to the expo and purchased all the new things he needed to replace BEFORE getting medical attention...what a hardcore nut! LOL He cracked his helmet, broke his new carbon handlebars, messed up his seat and his new wheels were warped or something. I think it was just the spokes. No broken bones thank goodness. He scraped his elbows and his entire backside. He was most upset about not being able to finish the ride since he had been training so hard for months for this day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to train more!

Last updated: 2007-08-24 12:00 AM
Biking
04:10:00 | 62.14 miles | 14.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: I heard this was a FLAT ride. This is was far from FLAT from my perspective. I live in Houston, I am familiar with FLAT. There was plenty of hills!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-26 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Hotter 'n Hell 100 - Metric

2007-08-26 10:37 PM
in reply to: #941233

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Hotter 'n Hell 100 - Metric
Proud of you, girl! HHH is not an easy ride. Your strategy for the day worked out well. Please let Charles know how glad I am that he was not seriously injured. He IS HOOKED to shop before hitting the medic! Some people will do anything to cut their saddle time....

Congrats on your finish!
2007-08-27 12:52 PM
in reply to: #941233

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Hotter 'n Hell 100 - Metric
Great ride!! Someday, I will ride my bike on the real road!!!  Have a nice rest day!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hotter 'n Hell 100 - Metric Rss Feed