Annapolis Striders, Inc
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 19s
Overall Rank = 249/4375
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 51/473
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0500, which was no small feat this morning. We had viscious thunderstorms moving through the area from 10:00p until at least 1:00a. I had a strange feeling when I did wake up - like I was 10 years younger, better looking, and richer. After coming back to reality, I downed a banana and water and heeded nature's call. Nature, however, put me on hold, so I left an hour later than I had intended. The later departure didn't matter because traffic and parking was not much of an issue. Drank an Ensure on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

Ran easy on the path around the Navy-Marine Corps Stadium, stretched, ran some strides, then hit the porta-pot line. I was doing some more stretching when I heard the PA announcer, "Runners to the start, please".
Run
  • 1h 13m 19s
  • 10.12 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first A-10, so I had no idea what to expect. I heard it was a hilly course, but I didn't know exactly where they would fall. I also wasn't aware of the deal at the start. It was a mass start, so it was important to seed youself correctly. I hung back and that was a big mistake. The entire race was a pass-a-thon. A few people passed me at the start, but I must have been near the very back of the crowd because I was weaving in and out of traffic pretty much the entire run. The first two miles were particularly bad - slow down, speed up, left, right, up on the curb. Passed Todd during mile 1 and Bill Wheeler while descending the 450 bridge on our way north.
I had no real expectations for this race. My best 10 mile pace was 6:59 and my best half marathon time was 7:04, but I wasn't sure what I had in me today. First two miles went well. I figured they should have been faster because of all the dodging, but I also worried that the change of speeds would wear on me. I lost track of my splits for a few miles, but knew I was slowing down. I stopped worrying about pace and just raced the people in front of me. This may have been a bit of a mistake because my focus must have waned a bit through the middle miles. Passing people became "good enough". Told myself that I'd push the last three miles. Well, the last three were better, but the hills kept them from being sub 7 as I had hoped. The later hills and the return trip across the bridge were agony. Instead of looking up the length of the bridge, I'd just pick a spot on the pavement and run to it. Pick another spot and run to that. It must have worked because that mile with the bridge was at a decent pace. The final insult was finishing uphill, running off Taylor Ave into the stadium lot. One runner that I passed on Taylor Ave was on my shoulder nearing the finish, so I held him off by sprinting the last 50 yds or so. I was sucking wind and hurting after crossing the finish. I left pretty much everything on the course.

What would you do differently?:

Not much. Possibly better focus during the middle miles. The limiting factors really came in preparation.
Post race
Warm down:

Grunted, walked around, drank, ate some bananas. Looked for Todd and Bill Wheeler, possibly anybody else I knew, but it was quite a crowd.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This race was a last minute decision, so it was essentially a C race. I needed to get in some tough workouts in the days leading up to this race (50 mi bike yesterday, 10mi run w/intervals Thurs), so I was far from recovered. I have done very little speedwork this year, as well. Zippo tempo runs. I don't train on hills and it was ridiculously humid. I'm carrying around 10 extra pounds and I'm not getting any younger.

Event comments:

Overall, I was pleased with the results - top 11% AG and it looked like a pretty serious crowd. It was interesting to look up results from the '05 Seaside 10 (1:09:46) because, in that race, my HR was in the mid 160s. Have I simply not done enough threshold work to allow my muscles to function at that HR over an hour+ ?
Not sure if I'll do this one again - it's in August. Maybe for fun, because it's a pretty cool race with decent swag for a reasonable price.

Last updated: 2007-08-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:13:19 | 10.12 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/473
Overall: 473/4375
Performance: Average
7:07 (154) 7:04 (158) 7:11 (159) 7:19 (158) 7:15 (160) 7:36 (159) 7:27 (158) 7:13 (159) 7:12 (156) 7:03 (161)
Course: Start at Navy-Marine Corps Stadium then through downtown Annapolis, across the Severn on Rt 450, up some hills and back again.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-26 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: Annapolis 10 Mile Run

2007-08-26 8:35 PM
in reply to: #941251

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Annapolis 10 Mile Run
Great job Glenn.  Awesome job for a last minute addition to the schedule and a C race.  If only you were 10 years younger, hehe.
2007-08-27 7:52 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Wow!  Great job out there, particularly for a last minute decision race. 
2007-08-27 9:06 AM

Wye - I think that's a great pace. Especially given the passathon for the first couple of miles and the lack of both sleep and recovery. Great job!
2007-08-27 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran

Good job, Mr. Speedy!!!  Getting up after that storm and the resulting lack of sleep was a real accomplishment.  So sorry we weren't there to cheer you across the finish line. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Annapolis 10 Mile Run Rss Feed