DelMo Sports
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 07m 13s
Overall Rank = 113/368
Age Group = Male 25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/31
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to stay at my brother in laws parents house the night before. Set the clock for 5am. Got up and had my usual PB&J, got some things together and headed over to the race site. My brother in laws father was running in the duathlon and it was his first race ever so I spent some additional time talking to him and explaining stuff to him.
Event warmup:

The only warm up I got was about 5 minutes of running about a half hour before the start of the race. I spent more time helping out my brother in laws father and going over the motions with him than worrying about what I needed to do. It wasn't a big deal because I didn't have much expectations from this race... I wasn't even planning on running this race until about two weeks ago.
Swim
  • 12m 32s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

By far my worst swim ever! I am not going to offer up any excuses on this one. Yeah it was my first ocean swim, yeah it was my first "running" start, yeah there was a bit of a side current but nothing at all can justify the time I posted on this swim. The only thing going for me was that there was an approximate 200 yard run up the beach after the exit to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Focus training on swimming. Its been my most depressing leg of triathlon and I know it needs to be done. Thankfully, starting Sept. 10th I will start to be coached and I hope this will help out with what I need to learn to improve.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Transition time for T1 was a bit slow. I needed to regroup myself after that swim so I took my time getting my sh*t on for the bike.

Nothing, I needed the extra seconds in T1 and it was the right thing to do.
Bike
  • 28m 6s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 22.42 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I made up the bulk of my time for the sh*tty performance in the water. I was dead last coming out of the ocean in my AG but made up 15 spots while out there on the bike. I was determined to make time back up and it is exactly what I did. I went hard enough but was comfortable with my pace to take a good chunk of time back.

Nada
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Good T2 for me. I was in and out in no time.

Nada
Run
  • 23m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My run wasn't as good as I was aiming at but it's nothing I am about to complain about. I have never run on sand or at the beach so I didn't really know what to expect. Ideally I would have liked to have posted about a 7:00 to 7:15 mm factoring in the sand issue but I will take what I got. I had trouble with the soft sand. Seeing that finish line was great and seeing I was only about a minute and a half over my goal made me feel a little bit better... My watch wasnt working properly.

Maybe some training in the sand? I dont plan on doing too much sand running so its not all that important to me.
Post race
Warm down:

just your general walking around chatting with people. Pack my sh*t up and take it over to the jeep and load it up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

swim training, not having my proper pre race routine.

Event comments:

The race was really well put together. Steven the race director did a great job in the duathlon I ran in April so I knew it would be great this year. After reading some of the RR's from last year I was worried it wasn't going to be good. There were bouys on the swim and the course was well marked. TONS of volunteers (thank you so much) and overall it was a great race. I just wish my swim wasn't so bad or else this probably would have been a happier race report.

Last updated: 2007-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:32 | 440 yards | 02m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 226/368
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Long John
Course: Rectangular counter clockwise course with beach start approximately 50 yards from water line.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:06 | 10.5 miles | 22.42 mile/hr
Overall: 81/368
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Came out of transition. Ran about 50 yards down a board walk to the mounting line. Rode approximately 10 blocks and made a left. Rode another 6 or 8 blocks to main loop. Did 4 loops of 20 blocks each. Hit a head wind every first leg of each loop but had a nice tail wind for the second part of each loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 98
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:05 | 03.11 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 112/368
Performance: Average
Course: Beach run. Out of transition it was about a 200yd run in soft sand to the water line. Hard packed sand up the coast for about 1 mile to a rock jetty. Run up soft sand and around jetty and back down to water line. Another half mile up the coast to turn around (soft sand). Back to jetty and then another 200yd soft sand run to a board walk which followed to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-27 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: Tri the Wildwoods

2007-08-27 8:22 AM
in reply to: #941536

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Tri the Wildwoods

AJ - I am not going to say anything about the swim, except you know what needs to be done to improve it.

That is a Fkin fast bike time man oh man. Sounds like a fairly tough day in the office. You have had a great season this year and I look forward to seeing your results improve gain in September...

2007-08-27 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
Yo. Thanks for the comments. Great race. Really great times. Even in the swim (about my time in the swim last year - fyi that was my first ocean swim for a race). I know what you're saying about the swim. Each of us has a weak link in each race. Swimming any distance in the ocean takes getting used to, especially breathing. Last year I tries to carry my bi-lateral breathing from the pool to the ocean swim and it didn't work - the waves were just pounding me and I could only turn my head towards the beach to breathe. I used that to my advantage this year. Just as long as you take your experience and apply it to the next race - you'll be fine. Great race and good luck in the rest of your races.
2007-08-27 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
I think what you take away from this race is that your bike time was fantastic, and it certainly looks like that may be your strength.  Swimming is the weak link right now, but it's nothing that can't be solved.  For better race results, you just have to focus on your weakest sport.  A big block of swimming and just some focused effort will get you there.  I think the run was pretty solid given course conditions.  So overall, not a bad race and a great learning experience and jumping off point for next season.
2007-08-29 8:52 PM

Veteran
Philadelphia
Jeebus you smoked that bike course! Way to go AJ
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Wildwoods Rss Feed