United States
3Disciplines Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I drove up the night before in my minivan. Parked at about 11:30 and went to sleep on the twin mattress that I threw in the back of the van. My alarm was set for 6 AM, but I woke up at 5 and couldn't get back to sleep. Took my cataplex E2 at 6 am then had a breakfast of cold stone-cut oatmeal with some figs cooked in. Followed that up with a soy protein shake with some raw unsweatened chocolate powder mixed in (for energy supposedly).
Event warmup:

About 30 minutes before the start, the there was a huge line in front of the 3 porta pottys so I warmed up by running about a half mile into town to a diner where there was no waiting for the bathroom. Ran back, put on my wetsuit and swam a few meters in lake michigan.
Swim
  • 23m 15s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Last year my swim was 25:12 so I took off 2 minutes here. I was hoping to take off at least 7 minutes and I think I am capable of it but it just didn't happen. This is the first time I started in the middle of the pack and had to do battle with people around me. I was not very aggressive in getting around slower swimmers and a bit intimidated by the kicking feet in front of me.
What would you do differently?:

I guess just getting more experience and being more aggressive should make a diffence here, as alone I can OWS much faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I saved 30 seconds over last year. There is still more room for improvement though.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year I only averaged 18.4 MPH so this was a fairly good improvement. I gained almost 8 minutes here over last year.

I raced to the best of my ability. The only thing I could have done differenty was to have more training time under my belt.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Woo hoo!! I gained 2 seconds over last year.
Run
  • 54m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I never taxed my breathing in this run, my legs didnt let me. My legs gave all they could but they didn't have much left in them. Luckily they gave more than last year when I only averaged 9:34 per mile. This years 8:49 was good enough to take 4 minutes 46 seconds off my time.

I needed to have more training and longer bricks under my belt to do any better.
Post race
Warm down:

I put that cold towel on my head and walked around a bit until my body told me it was ok to eat some bananas and grapes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

2 things, my lack of over all training this year. I anly had 515 miles of biking, 245 miles of running and 22,000 yards of swimming. I need to train more to get better results. The other thing was my asthma that put my training completely on hold for the last 2 weeks. Luckily it cleared up on wednesday before the race and did not bother me at all on race day.

But, considering that I trained more in the 2 months leading up to the race last year and I beat last years time by 15 minutes and 10 seconds I am a happy guy. The bonus is that with more training I have even more potential.

Last updated: 2007-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:15 | 1000 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Rectangle inside of breakers.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:48 | 24.85 miles | 20.48 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Same as last year. Mostly flat with a few very small rolling hills and one long but very gradual hill (almost not a hill).
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 100
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:54:38 | 06.21 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Flat and easy for the most part with a small hill at the beginning and end. Some of the run was through a nice shady campground. I love shade!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-27 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, Michigan
Subject: Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon

2007-08-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: #941844

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: RE: Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon
Nice race!!! Congrats! Your bike split was awesome and you had to love the improvement in bike and run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon Rss Feed