General Discussion Race Reports! » Share a Smile Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Share a Smile Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orem, Utah
United States
Share a Smile Foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 40s
Overall Rank = 44/154
Age Group = M 20 - 29
Age Group Rank = 12/22
Pre-race routine:

Got up early (5:15) ate breakfast and packed up the stuff. Took longer to get there than I planned, but I still had enough time to get set up.
Event warmup:

Nothing. The event was organized such that there really wasn't good access to the pool to warmup. Plus it was kinda chilly that early in the morning and I didn't want to get wet.
Swim
  • 07m 50s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Did OK on swim. I have been feeling a bit ill this week and so I am happy I was almost right on my test run last week. I did 7:40 in my test last week and I timed myself at 7:50 today. I had to wait and pass 1 guy at the pool, so that is probably my 10 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I gave it prob a 95% effort. If it was just a standalone swim I might have shaved 20 secs off, but nothing wrong with my swim today.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

We didn't get split times, and I was not that great about hitting my lap button, so the times are a close estimate. I didn't run to my T1 area and I took a little too much care toweling off. That made my jersey go on easy though. I had a harder time that I should have slipping into my shoes on the bike. I had forgot to unvelcro them and so that added to the difficulty. I also had the sock liner fold under at the top. Shoe performance prob cost me 20 secs on the bike

Be in more of a hurry and make sure everything is ready to go.
Bike
  • 24m
  • 7.5 miles
  • 18.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I did well on the bike. I went pretty hard and didn't leave too much on the course. Bike is still easily my best segment. I should look into aerobars for my next race.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Did well with geting feet out of shoes early while I could coast and maintain speed. Hopped off bike, but shoes were draging weird so I carried the bike. I had planned to wear socks, but they wouldn't go on, so I said screw it and just went sockless. This cost about 5 secs per shoe as I had to tighten the laces to account for no socks.

It was pretty quick, maybe some yankz or somethign would help
Run
  • 31m 50s
  • 3.55 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out pretty strong and calfs (both) immediately cramped up. I stopped and massaged them and they still were kinda half cramping. I had to jog slowly for about a half mile to let the cramps work out. Then I started feeling good and got in the zone. I was so deep in my zone that I missed a turn. I realized after about 2 mins that the guy in front and back of me had dissapeared. Turned around to see everyone turning a corner a ways back. Took about 1.5 mins to run back and get on course. The rest of the run went well, and since this was 2 loop course I knew where that turn was the second time. I adjusted my pace and distance to reflect the extra distance (measured with route tracker). I figure I would have hit about 29:00 without it, which was my goal. So I guess I am happy with my run.

Pay attention to the course!!
Post race
Warm down:

Massage and pastries.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still trying to get back to running 100% again. Also missing the turn off and wasting 3 minutes plus some energy.

Event comments:

Course errors cost me quite a few spots in the placement, but I would not have placed anyway. No biggie. Learned something and came out uninjured despite running too far. I guess I'm happy.

Last updated: 2007-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:50 | 400 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/154
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri SHorts
Course: Pool
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:24:00 | 07.5 miles | 18.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/154
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat 2 loop through neighborhoods. Not too difficult but there was a strong headwind for half the course. I could only maintain about 16.5 mph into the wind. Kept mid 20s on the back stretch.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average