Georgia Multisports Productions
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 59m 42s
Overall Rank = 230/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel w/ pb on the drive down to La Grange. I was nervous all morning. I think because I haven't raced in so long.
Event warmup:

About a half mile walk to transition from car. That's about it.
Swim
  • 42m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I knew I wasn't having a good day while I was out there, but geesh I didn't realize it was this bad. I'm glad I didn't look at my watch when I got out of the water. My arms were burning the first 200 meters and I felt like I was working really hard, but I still felt like I was doing okay. Then I fell to pieces. Stroke was nonexistent, especially with my left arm. It was dead weight so to speak. Not really doing any work. I tried a few times to focus on what I know and get into some kind of rythm but it just didn't happen. Interestingly my split at the turn buoy was 17:40..if that was half way I have no idea what happened on the 2nd half. Obviously, it wasn't good.
What would you do differently?:

The problem is I don't know. I definitely need to gain strength and that will help my swim overall. I think I also need more practice in OW because my swim times in the pool are never this bad, nor do I ever feel this bad in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I had a little trouble with this transition getting my socks and shoes on. It was so tight on the rack..the girl next to me racked her bike super close and threw all her stuff just around her bike. There was no order. So I was stepping all over her stuff. Anyway, this could have been faster.

I think I need to revisit where I set my area up..not so much how.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 28s
  • 25 miles
  • 17.97 mile/hr
Comments:

My legs were on fire at the beginning of this event. I took a gel about 5 miles in and that seemed to help..I also drank an entire aero bottle of HEED before mile 8. I think I was a little depleted on the hydration. My legs were doing pretty good pushing up little hills and rollers not losing too much speed. Being so far behind getting out of the water there aren't too many people around me on the bike. I pick people out in front of me and go after them and basically play catch up the whole way. Seeing Kate right before the turn around was a morale boost..I love seeing friends out on the course. It's a reminder of why this is so much fun. I looked at my watch with 10 minutes to the 2 hour mark with about 4 miles to go and knew I would have to step it up in order to reach T2 with enough time to come in under 3 hours.

I know I can push harder on the bike. I just need to learn how to race better on the bike and I think that will come with more racing and time. Not run out of fluids. I ran out around mile 19 and I was conserving because I knew I didn't have enough. I was obviously not hydrated enough before the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

eh. I try to be quick (Obviously) but it just seems I can never get in under a minute. I always get hung up with racking my bike. I need to practice that more.

not much on that day. see above.
Run
  • 51m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I left T2 knowing I had about 52 minutes to run. So I knew it was possible as I've done it before. I started out feeling like I normally do..trying to get my running legs but it wasn't holding me back from keeping a good pace. Around mile 1 I started getting really bad side cramps and it was hard to take a deep breathe but I knew it would eventually go away. I got to the damn and I slowed down a little to try and get the pain to go away. This is when 2 people passed me, a man and a lady. The man took off and there was no catching him. But the woman I kept in my sights and steadily worked my way back to her and finally caught back up to her right after the turn around. I was feeling really good then so I picked my pace up more and was picking people in front of me to catch and so on..until I got another side cramp. Geesh. I felt like the whole run my side hurt. It was very hard to take a breathe at times but I ran through it because the only way to get a side cramp to stop is for you to stop and well that's just not an option. With about 2 miles left I looked at my watch and saw I had a little less than 20 minutes to finish under 3 hours. I pushed myself as fast as I could to the finish with a side busting cramp. But I did it so my pain can eat that :)

Drink more prior to the race and on the bike. Intervals, intervals, intervals. I could feel my lack of racing and speed work on this run.
Post race
Warm down:

None.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

OMG..that swim is horrible. If I could just improve my swim to an average MOPer I would be under 3 hours on a regular. Race more, not have 6 weeks between races.

Event comments:

Swim 13/13
Run 3/13

Is it obvious what my weakness is? :) Great race as I got a PR but that's my second worst swim time ever! The course was nice although I didn't really like the bike course too much.

Last updated: 2007-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:26 | 1640 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/13
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Out and back at a weird angle. It wasn't a rectangle..more like a triangle but we didn't swim the bottom section. /\
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:28 | 25 miles | 17.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/13
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The course was hilly but not too bad except for right after the turn around. Some of the roads were in horrible condition which made for a bumpy ride. It wasn't a memorable course..I really don't remember much.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:35 | 06.21 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/13
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat out and back over the damn and through the woods to..haha. It was definitely flat though with maybe 1 hill. No shade but lots of water stops and running over the damn was nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-27 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: West Point Lake Triathlon

2007-08-27 11:31 AM
in reply to: #941929

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: West Point Lake Triathlon

Nice job hitting your goal like that, and that's an awesome run that you had. Love the way you talk about picking your marks and catching them. That is the sign of a competative athlete.

It was fun racing with you and Kate. One day we'll even maybe get Rivi back out there to do a whole race.

PR's rock. Congratulations.

2007-08-27 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Wow...way to gut it out (literally) at the end there.

Great job meeting your goal too, it takes a lot of courage to run through a bad stitch. I'm a lousy swimmer too, I actually went to Youtube and watched some of the swim instruction videos and it actually helped. I couldn't swim 400 meters when I first started.

Judging by your run you are as good of an athlete as most of the women out there so it's just a matter of time before the swim is there.

Great race

John
2007-08-28 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Really nice job, Amy!  I'm with you on the swim - mine's slow too; but, I'm gaining confidence and know that focus on same will translate to faster times.  Great bike and awesome run - you really had a great race!!  And congrats on the PR!
2007-08-28 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so excited that you beat the 3 hour mark, great job! I seem to have bad swims in the OW pretty frequently too, I guess we should practice more in the lake, huh?!

Your bike and run splits look great - especially your run. Man you are fast!! Congrats on a great race - next up...SC HIM!!

2007-08-28 9:28 AM

User image

PR! Wahooooooooooo! it was really fun racing with you too!

2007-08-28 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey! A PR is a PR. They give us three events to do it for a reason! I think you are doing great and the WPL race has it's tough moments. Congrats on a great race. More importantly, was it fun?

H.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Point Lake Triathlon Rss Feed