Sun Multisport Events
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 34s
Overall Rank = 193/584
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/43
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 to get on the road by 4:15. Had a cup of coffee and a clif bar during the first half of the trip, then stopped at Dunkin Donuts for an ice coffee and a bagel around 5:30. Got to the race site at 6:15, registered, got body marked, set up transition and chatted with the other BT folks.
Event warmup:

Into wetsuit about 20 min. before race start for an easy swim and to stay cool. Stayed in the water as long as I could until I had to head to the swim start
Swim
  • 26m
  • 1408 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off towards the back of the pack and found a pretty good rhythm right from the start. The beginning of the swim was surprisingly punch-free. Got a few hits and kicks but that was about it. Navigation was dead on 99% of the time, thanks to a tip from Mark (Stone). Also found some feet to follow about ½ the time. I think the roughest it got was in the last 50 yards or so, where everything was funneled to the exit. Ended up getting once in the head which knocked my goggles loose and caused some leaking, but I wasn’t about to stop to fix them. Overall my time was just where I wanted to be. Finished 20/43 in my AG.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really. This was a good swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Long run from the swim exit to the bike racks. Almost fell a couple of times on the stone steps leading out of the swim exit. Managed to have my suit pushed down past my hips by the time I got to my bike, so all I had to do was push it past my calves and pull my feet out. Overall it was smooth and efficient. 19/43 in my AG

Not much, thougth it went efficient and cmooth
Bike
  • 1h 12m 12s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 20.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I really had no plan for the bike, other than to go comfortably hard. I knew the run was going to suck and I was going to be hurting whether I went fast or slow on the bike. I don’t really remember much from the bike other than I was able to stay aero and in the big ring for 95% of the ride. I tried staying on top of my fluids as much as possible. Managed to go through 2 bottles of water and my one nutrition bottle in the 70 minutes of the ride. Didn’t know if that was going to be enough but it was all I could get down. Also took 3 endurolytes each 30 min. There were a couple of times during the ride where I started feeling nauseous and had to slow down a bit until it passed. Never had this happen before, so I’m not sure what caused it, other than the heat. I did grab a bottle of water at the bottle exchange, but it was about as warm as you know what, so I ended up with most of it on my head. Just after the bottle exchange a guy passed me, and said he wished he had grabbed a bottle to do the same, so I gave him what was left of mine. Never know when you might need a little good karma. Overall 17/43 in my AG

Push harder. I think I could have gone faster and still not affected my run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

The last few miles of the bike, I was dreading coming into T2 knowing I was going to have to run in the heat and humidity. As soon as I sat down to change my shoes, I felt like I didn’t want to get up. I didn’t contemplate DNF’ing, but it was sure nice sitting there. Ended up 31/43 in my AG.

Stay on the damn seat :). or stop lolly-gagging
Run
  • 55m 27s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah the run, boy was that fun. NOT. First mile went through in about 8:35, but there wasn’t anyway I could hold that pace and second mile was in 9:17. Was taking as much water as I could at each aid station, but really wasn’t drinking a lot, felt like my stomach had shut down at this point. I also stopped keeping track of splits, because I knew it wasn’t going to be pretty. The only goal I had was to not walk except at the aid stations. Just focused on making it to each mile than reassessing. After Mile 3 I felt some cramping coming on in my left quad, so I took a couple of endurolytes at the next aid station which worked like a charm, no cramping after that. Between mile 4 and 5, I started to feel really bad, starting getting chills and the coming of a headache. Not good, dehydration and heat exhaustion coming on. Drank as much as I could at mile 5, and talked myself into not walking, that anyone could run 1.2 miles. I have no idea how I managed a sub-9 min pace, because it felt like I was going a whole lot slower than that. Ended up 22/43 in my AG.

Wear an air conditioner :).
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed an ice cold towel for my head and one for inside my shirt, then kept re-soaking them to cool off. Found the rest of the BT crew and chatted and ate as much as I could (which wasn’t a lot).

Drove the 2 hours home, cramping the whole way, and feeling like crap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT and HUMIDITY. Overall I was pretty happy about the race. I finished 39 seconds slower than 2 years ago, on a much tougher day this year. I was faster at all splits except for the run which was 2:30 slower. Do I wish I could have finished the season on a better note, sure, but you take what the day gives you. I found out some things about myself during the run that I’ll be able to use in future races, so it wasn’t a total loss.

Event comments:

Great race, very well organized. The run aid stations were a god-send. The voulunteers were very encouraging and enthusiastic.

Last updated: 2007-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:00 | 1408 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/43
Overall: 240/584
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full
Course: counterclockwise loop around loon pond
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:12 | 24.9 miles | 20.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/43
Overall: 157/584
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:27 | 06.2 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/43
Overall: 252/584
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-27 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: Cranberry Country Triathlon

2007-08-27 11:58 AM
in reply to: #941943

Champion
Subject: RE: Cranberry Country Triathlon

Nice job yesterday, I just wished I had gotten a couple pictures of you in action.  Next time, it was good to see you again!

2007-08-27 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Nice job Chris! I hear ya about wanting to stay in transition and not do the run- it sucked! I think we all would have been a little faster in less-humid/hot conditions.
2007-08-27 2:19 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Nice job.  The run was brutal and you still stayed fast.  Next year overcast and 70.
2007-08-27 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Chris,
   Great race, it was tough out there!!  Stacey and I were thinking of you on the way home, you didn't look to hot when you left, glad you made it okay.  Enjoy the family this week and we will see ya next week.

Thanx for the beer, it was one of the sweetest tasting beers I have ever had!!

ADios
DAve

2007-08-28 11:55 AM

Expert

Hey Chris,

As much as I was hurting, it was cool to see a familiar face on the course.  Way to tough it out, I had major thoughts of DNF'ing but it so much more rewarding to make it to the end.

Glad the swim tips helped...it is so much quicker when you can swim straight

Mark

2007-08-28 1:42 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Way to hang in tough Chris! It was a rough day for sure but you give it all

(I took the ez way out and stopped though )

2007-08-28 5:36 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
nice effort, but could I suggest a jump in the lake, I love them after the race now Glad you could hang out with the gang and hope to see you again next year.
2007-08-28 6:20 PM

User image

Master
CT
Chris, that run WAS hottrnhell for sure, but you did a pretty good job of maintaining a decent split! Good work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Country Triathlon Rss Feed