United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 44m 41s
Overall Rank = 161/341
Age Group = 45-49M
Age Group Rank = 16/30
Pre-race routine:

OK, so I leave the house at 4:30 and drive the 75min to Bridgeport. I had printed the directions from the CT-DEP website (I have had trouble with these before) and exit the highway. I'm lost. Lots of one-ways. I go up a block and everyone in town is outside. The cops have a guy spread eagled on the cruiser and two reinforcements arrived. I'm trapped on this one-way street. Not wanting to be a geek (Excuse me sir, do you know where the race is today?) the taxi behind me and I back up for two blocks to get out of there. I finally come up behind a car with a bike and follow him to the park. It's 6:15, about 30 minutes delay here, but a great story :-)
Event warmup:

Get my bag (nice swag), get inked, set up my transition and can't seem to get through to someone taking the wrong side / both sides of the rack to move her bike, so take a lap on the bike, get wet.
Swim
  • 29m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I managed to find clear water when I needed it. I could simply get by anyone who was in my path. I had a small navigation mistake going out for lap 2 and went towards buoy 2 adding a few yards. Still a good swim time
What would you do differently?:

Navigate a little better. I was relying on following too much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Pretty easy T1. No panic, just step wise progression through the items. Shirt on was easier since I chose a bike jersey with a long zipper. Made pulling down simpler. Gels in the pocket and use them while riding, not in T1 zone.

Nothing, I'm getting better at it. Time includes a good run from the beach through the transition corral.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 22s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Not sure if 1 bottle of Accelerade was enough (more later). I had a great first race with the new bike. She rides beauifully. One guy on a Kuota was a PIA and was blocking me; pass then couldn't hold the pace. I guess the race officlas saw this because he wasn't happy when checking the results later and had a 2:00 penalty. A great bike leg for me.

Not much. Maybe drink more?
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

One of my easy lace things wasn't threaded right, so I tied that shoe instead. I had a sock bunch up issue and had to adjust (best I could), then get going.

Back to speed laces; these easy laces aren't as good. 2 for 2 with problems now.
Run
  • 1h 00m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

OK, weakest suit and I know it. It hurts like he!! to get going, predictable. I make the first turn around feeling lousy, but I'm OK. 1/2 back on lap one, I had a momentary lack of attention, caught a shoe on the sidewalk and down I go face first. Blood from my left thumb which is missing a piece of callous from the tip. Lots of road rash on my right side, the arm is bleeding pretty bad. Knees are scraped and bleeding pretty good too. Well, this isn't the most painful part of my body so I suck it up and keep moving. Wash it out with a little water from the stops (wonder what those kids passing out cups thought of me!). At mile 4.5, I start to fall apart. I slow down noticeably, HRM says 174, the wall is here. Shorts are covered in salt. I manage to come to a slow jog and recover a bit. 50 yards from the finish, I get that silly wave of emotion, am perfectly pleased with myself, hear my name and number from the announcer and am ecstatic!

Train at longer distances. My longest run this year was 7mi, so the 10K was pushing the limit and I knew it. Maybe 2 bottles or a strong mix on the bike could have prevented the bonk I had to accomodate?
Post race
Warm down:

Get a wet towel, my medal and head to medical. After a bit of scrubbing, jellyfish and another woman are having asthma issues. I give up my medic who has completed scrubbing the sand and clamshell bits out of my wounds (damn that stings!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training on long runs

Event comments:

My first OLY and I think I did pretty well. The voluneteers were excellent. I rather liked the bike course as it was predictable (you know the course and what to do where) and closed to cars. They checked my body mark when I emptied my transition area; thought that the security was a great idea. Next year, it's more OLY, a HIM and a marathon to train for an IM in 2009.

Last updated: 2007-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/341
Performance: Good
HR=172 at the end of lap 1 and 2. Too high, but did well
Suit: Speedo
Course: Triangular with 2 laps
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:22 | 24.85 miles | 20.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/341
160bpm parked on the HRM. Maybe a hair too high?
Wind: Some
Course: 5 miles per lap, 5 laps. Out and back with a hairpin at one end and a sweeping turn at the other. A small jog in the center provided a chance to get out of the aero bars and drink
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good