General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let me hear you order a meal ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2004-10-18 7:02 PM
in reply to: #73636

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Let me hear you order a meal ...
If I go out, it is usually for a lunch with my SIL. We average two lunches a week. At one place, I usually get an avocado sandwich and a fruit cup, at another I get a wedge salad and a portobello mushroom and mozzarella pannini (and take half home). At the third place I get a pasta dish with crawfish.

When I get fast food, it is a breakfast burrito at McDonalds or a Whopper Jr., with cheese. If I get onion rings with it, I can only eat the onion rings or the burger. Can't do both at the same meal.

Right now I think I am leaning out since I think I weigh the same (weigh myself about once every three months) but my pants are all loose; even the jeans that used to fit pretty snugly. I guess that is okay to a point but I don't really want to lose since I'm fairly thin now (5'9" and 132 lbs). Oh well, we are entering the "fat" season so I'm not going to stress too much about it.

2004-10-18 7:18 PM
in reply to: #73687

User image

Expert
Utah

jkbostic - 2004-10-18 2:16 PM Breakfast: /pulls up to Biscuitville. One ultimate bacon/egg/cheese biscuit.

You mean there is an ACTUAL place called Biscuitville??  I'm moving there, man.

Edited by lifesgreat 2004-10-18 7:20 PM
2004-10-18 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Oviedo, FL
Eat out at an actual restaurant about once every 2-3 months...eat at a fast food restaurant about 2-3 times a month...mostly at Chick Fil A...can we say "I'd like the number 1 w/ a diet/caffiene free coke?"

Standard typical menu at my house (tonights)

Breakfast: Fruit loops!!

Lunch: water, pb&J sandwich, cheeze its, apple sauce, and a little debbie or apple

Snack: whole wheat crackers w/ cheese slices

Dinner: Grilled Gourment Sandwich (2 of them!)
2004-10-18 9:24 PM
in reply to: #73757

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
lifesgreat - 2004-10-18 7:18 PM

jkbostic - 2004-10-18 2:16 PM Breakfast: /pulls up to Biscuitville. One ultimate bacon/egg/cheese biscuit.

You mean there is an ACTUAL place called Biscuitville??  I'm moving there, man.

LOL! Yep. There sure is. Real bacon, real eggs, real scratch made biscuits. I'm hopelessly addicted - look at my nutritional logs...lol
2004-10-18 9:38 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
I can't eat like that, either. I sure WISH that training meant I could eat more, but it seems not to be true.

DH and I go out to eat maybe every other weekend. I have been known to have a beer or glass of wine on these occasions Lunch can be a problem time for me, especially if I need to go to the grocery store and don't have convenient and good things to take with me to work. There is one fast food Mexican place that serves a black bean and rice burrito that's not too too bad, health-wise. It's huge, but I cut it in half and use it for two lunches. But if I let myself get extremely hungry, then I will eat anywhere and everything that's not nailed down. So I just have to watch and not let that happen.

today's food: breakfast:scrambled eggs, no oil added, with sliced onion and broccoli
lunch: baked sweet potato with a smidge of tamari
a slight issue with Halloween candy in the break room. I had one piece of chocolate candy.
dinner: a seriously enormous green salad splashed with balsamic vinegar, one slice of veggie pizza with low-fat cheese and whole wheat crust.

It is possible that a glass of wine will cross my lips before I go to bed tonight. Or maybe I'll do penance for eating that piece of candy and not have the wine. We'll see.
Andrea

Edited by Andrea 2004-10-18 9:39 PM
2004-10-18 10:02 PM
in reply to: #73669

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
the bear
If I ate like you guys...

I used to.

the bear
  • ..I'd weigh 400 pounds.

• And I almost did (about 20-few pounds shy).

If I'm stuck for something to eat and it needs to be "fast food" - I'll try to pick a baked potato, side salad, water and an order of chicken thingies at Wendy's - big fan of the dollar menu. The chicken salads at Burger King are good too, although I'm not a big fan of iceberg lettuce.

-Frank

2004-10-19 8:15 AM

User image

Pro
    St Charles, IL
    Travelling for work, so my eating drops to next to nothing ( since I can't snack conveniently ).

5am - coffee and an apple, chug some soy milk from the carton

11am - eat turkey,cheese,lettuce,tomato on wheat on the plane, have a diet pepsi

3pm - go to hotel gym, decide i'm starving, drink a regular coke from vending machine as pickmeup

7pm - meetup with some compadres and devour many many pieces of SUSHI! ( fish and rice is healty, right? and seaweed is good for you and stuff?! so bring it on! ). oh, and a single kirin light.

11pm - drink big bottle of water before going to sleep

That was yesterday.
    2004-10-19 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
    Norfolk, VA
    How do you guys stay so disciplined? I can't tell myself no AT ALL... I was good all day yesterday... until I remembered that I had marshmallow creme in the cabinet... I had 3 spoonfulls! I am NOT good at anything dealing w/ self-control. I envy you all.....
    2004-10-19 10:07 AM

Veteran
    Denver
    Wow. I need disipline. You guys make me feel guilty.

On average I eat out 3 times a day. I try to keep it healthy but it's tough. At home all I have are single guy snacks like chips and frozen pizza.

I need to make an effort to eat at home and buy more veggies.
    2004-10-19 11:22 AM

User image

Master
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    It's easy to be disciplined (mostly) when you act like your life truly depends on it. I'm fond of saying that in my late teens and early twenties I lived like I never planned to live this long. Now that I have (lived this long), I plan to stick around for as long as I can - let's see if I can beat the early 80's that most of the men in my lineage live to. I ralised that my life does depend on eating well, exercising properly and changing quite a bit mentally. Do I do it to the 9's every day? No. But a "bad nutrition" day now is rediculously healty compared to a "good nutrition" day just 8 months ago. I got to a point where I could either plan for a heart attack and diabetes by age 40, or plan a once in a lifetime 2-week scuba diving vacation to Chuuk Lagoon, Yap and Palau for my mondo-healthy 40th birthday. Guess which one I picked

-Frank
    2004-10-19 12:27 PM
    in reply to: #73952

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
    The Road Back
    Gold member

Same story here, except in my family the men rarely make it to age 70.

Eat right & exercise, or die.

2004-10-19 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
    Rocky Hill, Connecticut
    You all are very good about eating out, my wife an I eat out usually 2-3 times a week. Once during the week and either Friday or Saturday night.

Lets see, last night.

Pizza snack (1/3 or a slice) that they set in front of me (wait staff are so cruel).

Diet Coke

House salad parmesian peppercorn dressing on the side and a garlic knot (pizza dough baked w/ a little olive oil and garlic)
    Penne w/ Meatballs and some bread for sopping up sauce.

I was good actually brought 1/2 of the pasta home and had it for lunch today w/ a small salad and a Diet Dr. Pepper.

Adios
    Dave
    2004-10-19 3:30 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
    Smyrna, Georgia

Sometimes I think we lose track of what the 99% can eat like.  The other night at the grocery store, Hubby noticed a woman wearing a shirt that read "You wanna piece of me?"  He looked at her spare tire and then into her cart and noticed pop-tarts, capri suns and chips and at the moment she was choosing a box of Little Debbies.  He told me that he wouldn't want a piece of anyone who ate like that! LOL!  I can't imagine subsisting off of that crap.  It sounds downright unappetizing compared to some broccoli with dijion mustard.  Even if the food was for her kids, imagine what kind of lifestyle she's teaching them!

Anyway, even my most nutritionally challenged days are better than some peoples' best days!

2004-10-19 4:02 PM
    in reply to: #74098

User image

Expert
    Iowa
    Whit - 2004-10-19 2:30 PM

He looked at her spare tire and then into her cart and noticed pop-tarts, capri suns and chips and at the moment she was choosing a box of Little Debbies. 

Capris Suns? Heck, she's a certifiable health nut! But I agree with your point. Look at what you see in the grocery carts - chips, soda, snack cakes, processed foods up the ying yang! You are what you eat, as she apparently was proving.

2004-10-19 4:12 PM

User image

Master
    Chicago

Ate at a breakfast buffet over the weekend - haven't eaten at a buffet in more than year. But here's what I had

1 egg-white only omlette with mushrooms, onions and tomatoes

1 - saugsage

3 strawberries

1 wedge of canteloupe

2 tablespoons of potatoe - red

4 oz of cottage cheese

No bread, water with lemon.

2004-10-19 5:02 PM
    in reply to: #73669

User image

Champion
    Whizzzzzlandia
    Silver member

Wow, bear, you must fart alot.

All that broccoli!

LW

2004-10-19 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
    Westchester County NY

Fast food- Mickey D's grilled chicken caesar slad, replace caesar dressing with the lowfat balsamic vingerette dressing.  Diet coke, or water.

Dinner out,

Salad, dressing on the side.

Grilled chicken, veal or steak.  Take 1/2 of it home.

Baked potato with butter.  Try to not have too much butter.  French fries when I'm feeling evil.

Addicted to bread.

Split dessert with hubby.

2004-10-19 7:15 PM
    in reply to: #74113

User image

Expert
    Westchester County NY
    Have you ever noticed the fatter someone is the more junk their grocery cart.
    2004-10-20 10:20 AM
    in reply to: #74173

User image

Elite Veteran
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Absolutely.  I love looking at people's grocery cart contents because it's so amusing.  And the people with the junk food in the cart are the same people who will loudly proclaim that they can't lose weight because it's hereditary.  If anything is actually hereditary it's poor nutritional knowledge (e.g. the parents didn't adequately teach their kids).
    2004-10-20 12:13 PM

User image

Elite

One of observation about in the food biz is that foods that are cheap and fast are terrible nutritionally for you.  People working a couple of low paying jobs to make ends meet are stuck with food that kills them.  It takes some pretty strong will power for people in lower economic levels to overcome the nutritional bias in the food supply to get a healthy diet.  A couple of frozen pizzas seems like a lot better deal than a couple of Lean Cuisine's.  A dozen doughnuts costs less than a dozen bananas.

Some sad observations at crowds I have seen lately.  Lots of lean, fit 50 year olds at a hoitty-toitty college commencement.  Lots of people looking at diabetes by age 50 at a Dolly Parton concert.  The only people at a company party for employees of a hamburger franchise operation who were a healthy weight were the owners.

The time and money to eat well and exercise a healthy amount in today's society are luxuries that are more accessible to the rich and well educated than the average of society.   I am not offering  a solution here.  I don't think I can ride around in everyone's shopping cart at Kroger's and tell people what they should eat.  I can't slip into everyone's bedroom and blow reveille at 6 AM for morning calisthenics.  All I can do is set a good example and invite the people I know to join in.

TW (feeling a little smug and sanctimonious this morning for some reason)

Edited by tech_geezer 2004-10-20 12:14 PM
    2004-10-20 12:42 PM
    in reply to: #74173

User image

Pro
    Helena, MT

NYtrigal - 2004-10-19 5:15 PM Have you ever noticed the fatter someone is the more junk their grocery cart.

I'm sorry, but I really have to disagree and say that it's offensive. Have you ever noticed how people who've never had a weight problem are the hardest on the overweight and obese?

My mother is obese and she has been known to eat junk food but on the order of one reasonably-sized item of junk food ever other week or so, not a grocery cart full. I'm not saying it's all her thyroid's fault or something... she got herself into this mess, but it's harder for her to stay slender for myriad reasons. In any case, being made fun of and unsupportive, cynical people won't get her or any other obese person anywhere.

2004-10-20 12:58 PM

Regular
    Washington
    Gee, eating out is so rare around here. When I do, I go whole hog (or beef, whatever). Prime rib or steak, if I'm lucky lobster with lots of butter. Cheesecake for dessert.

It's not eating out that causes my problems. It's the everyday eating in...after dinner. I do well at breakfast, lunch, dinner. It's evening on the couch where I'm a fully paid up member of the 90% of the population. All things fat and salty!

I'm doing my swimming in the evening starting next week (maybe this week on Friday). That will give me a couple of evenings with better things to do than eat! It's such a habit though, really hard to break.
    2004-10-20 3:51 PM
    in reply to: #74383

User image

Elite Veteran
    Smyrna, Georgia

For Thomas
    You are correct about the problem with the cost of healthy food. The worst thing is that the g’vt actually exacerbates the problem by subsidizing corn production, which is used in the production of most junk food (often times in corn syrup). The g’vt should take that money and subsidize healthier food instead. On the other hand, food in general is cheaper now than it’s ever been in terms of how much of their income families spend on it. Also, there are several notable healthy choices that cost nothing, such as drinking water and choosing not to smoke. So, there are some healthy inexpensive options available, but the g’vt definitely contributes to the problem.

For Kim
    Have you ever looked in the grocery carts of obese people? Honestly, what is the typical pattern that you see? I typically see lots of junk food and limited vegetables. And as a person who works her butt off to stay where I am, I don’t feel bad about pointing out the poor food choices and overall lifestyle choices of many obese people. Does that make them bad people? No, absolutely not. But when someone tries to pawn off their problem on "genetics" when everything in their grocery cart, cupboards and overall lifestyle says otherwise, I get irritated. I’m not slim because of genetics, but because of hard work. To say otherwise invalidates my efforts!

That being said, I would bet that most dedicated exercisers would cheer on any overweight person who is out there trying to lose weight, not make fun of them. I make an extra effort to cheer on anyone who has an extra burden to deal with. I wonder how it must feel to try to walk or run when you have the equivalent of an extra person hanging on you. But I wouldn’t condescend to lie to someone either. If they want to know why they’re overweight (and have ruled out medical problems) they should look at diet and exercise.

Edited by Whit 2004-10-20 3:52 PM

2004-10-20 3:59 PM

User image

Regular
    New New York
    Subject: I order one of these:
    2004-10-20 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
    Iowa
    Now that's a funny picture! Somebody went to a lot of work!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let me hear you order a meal ... Rss Feed  

of 3