General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
70s F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 58m 37s
Overall Rank = 1575/1671
Age Group = Athena (15-39)
Age Group Rank = 32/36
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15, ate some oatmeal and had some zip fizz. Felt good, applied some BT tattoos and hit the road. I was nervous riding up to Columbia because it was sprinkling but the rain stopped by the time we arrived at the park.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, met up with Crabsrule and tried to spot some other BTers. Walked around to get ready for my wave at 7:40 a.m.
Swim
  • 30m 24s
  • 1000 meters
  • 03m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good Swim for me....felt more comfortable than last year. I swam more freestyle and felt pretty good with my performance. I'm slow but I kept moving. I developed a side stitch on the back side of the swim but stretched out my side and swam through it. I spotted the buoys easily and was able to stay on course without too much trouble.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more.
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

What was I doing for 4 minutes? Need to hustle more out of the water and keep the hustle through out. Felt good getting on shoes, camelbak, helmet and gloves.

Train more with water bottles instead of camelbak..to save transition time.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 43s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 12.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. I finally got over the panic that this course causes me...I can comfortably get up each and every hill. I may be slow, but I'll get there. This year I dropped my chain twice up Homewood on the ride out....last year I would have panicked and perhaps given up. This time I put the chain back on and kept going. I hope to continue to work on this course to increase speed.....though my speed on the downhills reached 34 mph...not bad!

Ride lots and maintain mental confidence to get up the hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I did pretty well with this since when I arrived at the rack, there was no space for my bike and I couldn't move other bikes over very easily. I racked my bike with my handlebars overlapping another and just got on with transition....it worked fine.

Keep moving...keep moving.
Run
  • 54m 44s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 16m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is the most difficult for me.....and often I have trouble keeping moving. I did okay, walked more than I would have liked but as I lose weight this should improve. I was encouraged by the sounds of the finish line area....lots of cheers and music to guide me in.

Run more, lose more weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Jimbo, walked up several more hills to refreshments and back to car to pack up gear. In Columbia...there's always another hill!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and weight. While I really wanted to improve my time from last year, I felt good that I beat 3 hours and put in a good race. Training hasn't been as consistent this year but I'm glad that I completed the race. This is a race that when you get to the end you really feel as though you accomplished something big.....

I worked hard during the race...I maxed out on HR at 187 and my average HR was 168. My heart rate monitor says that I burned 3615 calories. I'm not sure its accurate but it feels good nonetheless.

Event comments:

This race is very supportive and encouraging for all levels of athletes...I really felt great running into a finish where everyone was cheering me on by name....a great race and one that I will definitely do again! :)

Last updated: 2007-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:24 | 1000 meters | 03m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 30/36
Overall: 1362/1671
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Open Water Lake Swim around buoys and back to shore near transition area.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:02
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:43 | 18.64 miles | 12.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/36
Overall: 1510/1671
Wind: None
Course: Rolling Hills with some challenging climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:44 | 03.4 miles | 16m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/36
Overall: 1644/1671
Course: Around lake and up Gatorade hill....challenging and slightly longer than a 5K.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-27 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2007-08-27 9:55 PM
in reply to: #943100

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon
nice going, buddy! i always enjoy being your race support not many other people i'd get up for at 4 in the morning.
2007-08-28 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks....you're pretty good race support!

Edited by noony 2007-08-28 7:52 AM
2007-08-28 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Wooohooo, way to go, noony!!!  You are absolutely right - finishing this race is a big accomplishment.  Great job getting through a really tough course!!! Congrats - Iron Girl x2!!!!
2007-08-29 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Great RR!  Maybe I'll meet you in person before the next IG?  My daughter now wants to do it with me.  She'll be 16 next summer.

Laurie

2007-08-29 11:03 AM

Veteran
Fairfax, VA

Great job on your race Noony and nice race report too!!!  I have heard great things about IG and I'm thinking about trying this next summer!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed