General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Annapolis Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-27 8:10 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Annapolis Triathlon
Has anyone run segments of the course before? What is the terrain?

2007-08-28 4:09 PM
in reply to: #943144

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Annapolis Triathlon

Bike will be uphill elevation change for first 6 miles or so, then slight rolling, then blasting downhill, left turn, another quick left, two very short but harsh climbs, another downhill-flat section, left turn and gradual building climb (about 1/2 mile or so) finishing onto a flat section where you can get rolling again, then back onto the main road where you go back the way you came, so net downhill there.  Should be a fast bike course overall.

Run is definitely rolling.  Out of the stadium will be flat for the first mile or so, then when you turn to run adjacent to the Academy you will have a short climb, short downhill and then the bridge over the Severn, which is decent grade but not too long (long enough at this point in the race though!).  Then you go down the other side of the bridge and turn right, then up for about 1/2 mile or so - that's gonna hurt the most probably - and then rolling to the turn around and repeat the other direction.  The run is going to hurt and I wouldn't expect any major PR's on the run portion.  Bike maybe ... but not the run ......

I spent my Jr. High and High school years on and off in Annapolis (as well as later being a Middie even though I resigned) and lived there with my family before I got married so I know the area very well and have either ridden or run the entire course over the years.  I've also been incorporating some of the course in my long ride training for IMFL lately.  There have been a lot of people out there lately training on the course.

Roads are good with no major bad sections, so not a lot of concerns there.

Any other questions?

2007-10-22 10:39 AM
in reply to: #944676

Daremo - 2007-08-28 5:09 PM

Bike will be uphill elevation change for first 6 miles or so, then slight rolling, then blasting downhill, left turn, another quick left, two very short but harsh climbs, another downhill-flat section, left turn and gradual building climb (about 1/2 mile or so) finishing onto a flat section where you can get rolling again, then back onto the main road where you go back the way you came, so net downhill there.  Should be a fast bike course overall.

Run is definitely rolling.  Out of the stadium will be flat for the first mile or so, then when you turn to run adjacent to the Academy you will have a short climb, short downhill and then the bridge over the Severn, which is decent grade but not too long (long enough at this point in the race though!).  Then you go down the other side of the bridge and turn right, then up for about 1/2 mile or so - that's gonna hurt the most probably - and then rolling to the turn around and repeat the other direction.  The run is going to hurt and I wouldn't expect any major PR's on the run portion.  Bike maybe ... but not the run ......

I spent my Jr. High and High school years on and off in Annapolis (as well as later being a Middie even though I resigned) and lived there with my family before I got married so I know the area very well and have either ridden or run the entire course over the years.  I've also been incorporating some of the course in my long ride training for IMFL lately.  There have been a lot of people out there lately training on the course.

Roads are good with no major bad sections, so not a lot of concerns there.

Any other questions?

Hmm....a friend (read: tri-crush) suggested this race last night, when I said I was shooting for an Oly by September of 2008!! Unless I become SUPER-awesome, it's not gonna happen, I don't think! I'll really have to get good at hills...

2007-10-22 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Riding hills will get you much better at hills... trust me from a couch to savageman participant in 07.  You've got lots of time.
2007-10-22 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1018506

User image

Master
wurkit_gurl - 2007-10-22 11:39 AM

Hmm....a friend (read: tri-crush) suggested this race last night, when I said I was shooting for an Oly by September of 2008!! Unless I become SUPER-awesome, it's not gonna happen, I don't think! I'll really have to get good at hills...

I have not done Annoapolis, but have spoken to a few who have.. and they said it was not bad at all, and if you look at overall times it seems like a relatively easy course. I did The Nations Tri. in DC, it was my first ever and I would recommend it to anyone looking to do a first oly. The course is basically completely flat, and is really fast .. It is the end of September, so that could be an option for a first
2007-10-22 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1019123

slake707 - 2007-10-22 4:45 PM

I have not done Annoapolis, but have spoken to a few who have.. and they said it was not bad at all, and if you look at overall times it seems like a relatively easy course. I did The Nations Tri. in DC, it was my first ever and I would recommend it to anyone looking to do a first oly. The course is basically completely flat, and is really fast .. It is the end of September, so that could be an option for a first

If it's less hilly than the race I did in Luray, I should be okay. Where is the swim for the Nation's Tri? In the Potomac???? I don't think I'd ever swim in that water - it's so dirty, esp the areas closer to DC.

2007-10-23 1:15 AM
in reply to: #1019175

User image

Master
wurkit_gurl - 2007-10-22 4:59 PM

slake707 - 2007-10-22 4:45 PM

If it's less hilly than the race I did in Luray, I should be okay. Where is the swim for the Nation's Tri? In the Potomac???? I don't think I'd ever swim in that water - it's so dirty, esp the areas closer to DC.

For the Nations the bike and flat is completely flat, it is around the mall and haines pt. So if you know DC you will know what I mean. The swim is in the Potomac, and I had the same fears as you. But amazingly I was surprised how nice it was in the water. It was no different to the Severn River in MD, or Sandy Pt State Park in MD.. plus if you live around DC the drinking water comes from the Potomac To get off the Hijack, here is the route/elevation profile I created Annapolis.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=3...

So it shows 833ft of climbing with a max elevation around 200ft... 800 over 40km is relatively flat, and compared to the Luray elevation graph I saw with just one climb over 900 ft, Annapolis is easy
2007-10-31 9:45 AM

Does anyone know when 2008 registration for this race will start? I think I am definitely going to shoot for it as my first Oly next year (even with the bit about the separate transitions, of which I have been informed). I have been checking the website, but it's still all 2007 info. But I don't want to miss it!
2008-01-25 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
As of today, 1/25/08, no date has been set for the Annapolis tri.
2008-01-25 1:48 PM
in reply to: #1175671

User image

Master

jmhpsu93 - 2008-01-25 10:22 AM As of today, 1/25/08, no date has been set for the Annapolis tri.

They can't set the date until the Navy football schedule is released, since the finish is in the stadium

2008-02-29 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1031269

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Race date has been set for September 7th, but registration hasn't been opened yet.

The course is going to change from last year.  The start is at Sandy Point, where the Polar Bear Plunge is.

www.tricolumbia.org/annapolis

2008-03-01 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Good pickup on the date.
That's interesting about the spot. It means flat, flat, flat bike. Maybe down the access road into St. Margter's then over to the community college, then run from there?
Sandy point is a good place to swim. Plenty of room for everybody to park there.
Maybe the county is cooperating more than the city with the permits.
2008-03-05 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1245681

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Went on the website today and they are showing 9/7 as the date w/ the Sandy Point start. No course maps are available yet.
2008-03-10 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

Looks like it's going to be a tastey finish!

"The 10k run course begins on trails within Sandy Point State Park and ends in the heart of the Maryland Seafood Festival with thousands of cheering spectators."

Link:  http://www.mdseafoodfestival.com/b_home.html

2008-03-20 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I signed up for this race as my first olympic distance mainly because I loved the idea of it being out of downtown Annapolis and ending in the football stadium. The descriptions were so cool. I must say I am a little disappointed in the change of location. But I bet the parking and transitions will be a lot less hectic this way. I am having nightmares now about being entangled in all the crab pot lines while swimming, or crashing into a bridge support. Guess I had better learn how to swim straight!

Does anyone have any recommendations about wetsuit types? I am weighing the options between a full suit for maximum buoyancy and a sleeveless for more movement and not so hot. Any thoughts?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Annapolis Triathlon Rss Feed