Ironhead Race Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 21s
Overall Rank = 122/344
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/36
Pre-race routine:

I should start off by saying that I've been considering quitting triathlons. I'd been very apathetic about the whole thing for weeks now and it showed in my training regimen(or lack thereof). So I decided that if this was my last tri, I'd treat it like my last. That meant two things: 1) I have fun & 2) I leave it all on the course. No pacing myself, no holding back. I go all out and I either leave flames in my wake or I bonk hard. Either way I'll know I pushed myself to the limit. This mindset is pretty liberating to be honest; when I woke up I wasn't nervous or stressed, just ready to go. I ate some food, packed up my stuff, then headed over to Karen's to get her and head out to the site.
Event warmup:

The usual: stretching, transition area setup, mocking Docshock for loving Iowa, listening to Jack try to out-drill-sergeant everyone in attendance, and comparing my moose knuckle to everyone in my rack(I cam in 2nd). I thought about getting in a swim, but time didn't allow for it.
Swim
  • 05m 20s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I sat in line collecting my thoughts while they let people hit the pool every 10 seconds, and partway through I noticed everyone was doing the same damn jump into the water. Being that this might be my last event, I figured 'what the hell' and decided it was time to liven things up. So when it was my turn, I dropped a cannonball on the line. So help me, if I get ALS this will be my version of the Kona Blaze Roll. People will pay tribute to me by dropping cannonballs at the Rockwall Tri, and I'll be in a wheelchair at the side of the pool cackling and high-fiving everyone that does one.

When I resurfaced, I took off like a bat out of hell before Jack's wife(does she call him 'Captain Jack' when they're alone? Even money says he's got a pirate outfit with no crotch) could decide to pull me out of the water. The swim was pretty uneventful thanks to the guy in front of me being my same speed or a bit faster and the guy behind me being a little slower than me(I guess, he never hit my feet so who cares what his time was :p). About 75 yards left I ran into the back of a woman who started ~4 people ahead of me. She was stuck behind a guy that was doing his best impersonation of a wounded seal, so I ended up breast-stroking off and on for ~35 yards. When we hit the last wall he stopped at the wall to let us pass, and she tried to beat me to the punch. Well I said to myself 'what the hell' and took off beside her in the middle of the lane. She didn't want to let me by, but I cranked out a nasty 25 that was probably 8-10 seconds faster than her and was in front of her halfway through the last 25. Of course it probably helped that I was throwing elbows like I was in a WWE steel cage death match, but you mess with the bull YOU GET THE HORNS. That's right, I just threw elbows at a 46 year old woman. Fear me. *flexes*

Last year: 06:03
This year: 05:20
Change: -00:43
What would you do differently?:

More elbows, trademark the phrase 'ROCKWALL CANNONBALL'
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I got out of the pool and wobbled my way towards the bike, trying not to fall more than actually run. I got to the rack and there were already 5 people there getting ready to head out. So I decided screw it, I'm beating these bitches out of T1. I skipped my socks & my gloves and barely got my shoes on before running out of T1 with the bike. If I didn't have to run so far with the bike my T1 time would have been much faster, but everybody had to run so it really wasn't that big of a deal. Anyway, I was the first of the 5 out of T1 and onto the bike, mainly because I nearly crawled over a guy who was unracking his bike at the same time as me. Did I mention I was going all out? Maybe I should have tossed an elbow at him too, just for good measure. I was turning into the midget from Mad Max.

WHO RUN BARTERTOWN

Last year: 03:11
This year: 01:43
Change: -01:28
Bike
  • 45m 41s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I headed out on the bike and my HR was in the 170s, which is high for just starting out a ride. Usually I'm not into the 170s until well into a ride. But I stuck to my mantra of pushing the whole way through and I was booking it for the first 4 miles. I hit one particularly large hill about 14 minutes in and my whole body said SLOOOW THE FUUUUUCKK DOOOWWWN. Stupid body. OK, I backed off and dropped down a few gears for 4-5 minutes. It got my HR down and I settled in for the ride. From there on out, I pushed pretty hard, probably about 90% of what I'd do on a shorter ride. It was definitely pushing harder than I would at anything longer than 20 miles or so. I passed a couple more people than passed me, but I was pretty much on my own most of the time.

Last year: 47:16
This year: 45:41
Change: -01:35
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Last year: 01:39
This year: 01:12
Change: -00:27

This one happened so quickly that I thought I forgot something. If I had already put my socks on at the last transition, I probably would have been in and out in under a minute.
Run
  • 24m 22s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

After running out of T2, I went into this full-bore. My HR was a bit high and I had some serious jelly legs going on, plus Jack decided it would be a good marketing ploy to say he had the only triathlon with a jungle gym section. Seriously, we ran through a playground. My legs weren't having it at first and it took a lot of willpower not to walk in the first 1/3 mile, but when I hit the sidewalk I settled into a groove and tried to keep the pace at or under 9:00/mile. Given that my PR for a 5k is 25:40 this was an aggressive goal, but guess what I said? That's right, 'what the hell'. OK actually it was more 'f*ck it', but you get the point. I hit 1 mile in and was right at a 9 min/mile pace and actually saw Karen on her way back in while I was heading out. That gave me a little extra kick, plus I was really hitting my stride and pushing closer to 8:30 for the next mile or so. I started seriously cruising the last mile, passing some people and just gliding along. It felt great. I even started hitting the 8:00/mile mark from time to time. When I turned back off the pavement the afterburners kicked in and I sunk below an 8:00/mile for the last 2/3 mile or so. My Garmin was screaming at me because I was well over 183(where the alarm starts beeping) but I didn't care because I only had 4-5 minutes left to go. At one point I saw the clock at the finish and realized I could crack 1:20 and I pushed even harder. The end result? An average pace of 8:24/mile. That means for the last 1.9 miles I was averaging right at a 8:00/mile, which is flying for me.

Last year: 25:45
This year: 24:22
Change: -01:23

Nothing, this played out about the best I could have hoped for.
Post race
Warm down:

Last year: 01:23:57
This year: 01:18:22
Change: -00:05:35

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A Segway couldn't hurt.

Event comments:

The route was the same as last year, as was the setup. They should really cordon off the beginning of the run better, as the announcer was constantly having to tell people to look out for runners. Other than that(and the out route through the swing sets), it's all pretty well designed.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:20 | 300 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/36
Overall: 99/344
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Uhh, it was a pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:41 | 14 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/36
Overall: 155/344
Average HR: 168 Max HR: 181
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:22 | 02.9 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/36
Overall: 139/344
Average HR: 179 Max HR: 192 Zone 1: 00:00 Zone 2: 00:09 Zone 3: 00:24 Zone 4: 06:54 Zone 5: 13:58
Course: Some off-road/path run, mostly sidewalk running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-28 9:53 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon

2007-08-28 10:47 AM
in reply to: #943728

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon
Great job out there babe! You did wonderfully! FAST run! I can only dream!

You know, if you took this attitude with all the races... maybe you wouldn't mind doing tri's?

I do hate to hear this was your last one ever. I honestly thought you meant for the year. Hey, getting into tri's was your decision and so will be getting out. I can't really encourage you one way or the other. Do what's best for you.

So, next year... in your honor... I will do a cannonball. Well, maybe. Ok, what if I convince someone with a swim time of 10:00 minutes down to do it? Does that count?

Well you know we will miss you on the race course... but you can fun getting up early and spectating... right?

2007-08-28 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
Well to be clear, I'm not sure it's the last ever. I feel a lot better about racing after this one. I think I've just had really sucky results all year and it was beating me down. This one helped my morale quite a bit.

But either way, you should still do the cannonball.

Edited by JBrashear 2007-08-28 10:51 AM
2007-08-28 11:11 AM

User image

Good race and a very entertaining race report.  It would be a shame to get out of the sport since it is so good for you whether you are setting new PR's or not (which you did anyways - right?).  Triathlon can always use more "Rodney Dangerfield" cannonballs.
2007-08-28 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
A thoroughly entertaining race report as always! You really have a rare talent for writing those things .

Maybe a few months of being off will give you the motivation to start training again and we'll see you next season. If not, I have a 10 minute swim time, so I could do a cannonball in your honor next year!

BTW, great race...I hate to see you call it quits! Will see ya'll in Austin.
2007-08-28 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

The 'Captain Jack' outfit might be the most disturbing image to ever roll through my head, but I thought I was going to have to leave the room because I was about to start crying!

You really ran a great race with great improvements.  If this is it, then I'm glad you left it all out there man.

2007-08-28 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great job at the race! Seeing improvement in ALL areas should be a BIG motivator to keep at it! It was nice meeting you and Karen.
2007-08-28 11:04 PM

User image

, Texas
Great race all around. It sure is nice to end the season with a solid performance.
2007-08-29 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Great race and improvement over last year's time. Dropping 5-1/2 minutes in a short sprint takes a lot of effort and "going all out".

People's motivation to do this sport (or any other) will come and go. You'll find what works for you.

You should consider just "faking" the training logs and write bogus, but entertaining, RR's. Think of it, you could travel to exotic venues, knock down killer splits, smoke the competition; all from the comfort of your couch and never break a sweat.
2007-08-29 8:46 AM
in reply to: #945311

User image

Pro
Texas
jkron - 2007-08-29 7:43 AM

You should consider just "faking" the training logs and write bogus, but entertaining, RR's. Think of it, you could travel to exotic venues, knock down killer splits, smoke the competition; all from the comfort of your couch and never break a sweat.

You're not the first person to suggest this. :p
2007-08-29 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Good job of going all out and not blowing up!  You kicked A$$ in this race!  All 3 legs were strong, and you placed in the top half of your competitive AG.  Hopefully this performance will motivate you to stick with triathlon and training.

2007-08-29 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

was it more fun when you were going all out??? 

you really smoked this course,,  and hey this year pretty much sucked, two Oly rained out,, a rain season that made South Asia jealous, etc.

at the least I hope to see ya at a couple of races just to joke around with someone, and maybe you could take some finishing line photo's of people puking,,, oh yea that's been done already

2007-08-29 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
You had great results in your AG and overall. Way to "Be all that you can Be". You may not have to worry about quitting triathlons. I have a feeling that putting sexual images, of Jack and Esther, in peoples minds is an automatic banishment.
2007-08-29 2:09 PM
in reply to: #946059

User image

Pro
Texas
docshock1964 - 2007-08-29 1:21 PM

You had great results in your AG and overall. Way to "Be all that you can Be". You may not have to worry about quitting triathlons. I have a feeling that putting sexual images, of Jack and Esther, in peoples minds is an automatic banishment.

Just because there's snow on the roof doesn't mean there isn't still fire in the furnace. As someone much closer to 60 than me, you should be well aware of this.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon Rss Feed