Lakeville, Massachusetts
United States
Sun Multisport Events
Total Time = 3h 24m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 12/16
Pre-race routine:

I haven't wanted to write this race report for a variety of reasons. Certainly one is that I'm not happy with my performance but, even more significantly, I'm not happy with my preparation, and I'm not sure what that means. Triathlon is hard in many different ways, but the all-encompassing training required to actually compete at Oly and longer distances is sometimes hard to swallow for me. Honestly, it all starts back at my training for the half-mary I ran at the end of May. It was a disastrous experience--mostly because of a deep fatigue I was feeling due to incorrect dosage of some of my medication.

But it was also disappointing because I had hoped to come out of that training and race as a much better runner, and I didn't. I'm still the same slow lumberer I was before this season, though with some more endurance sprinkled on. Hate to be so negative, but sometimes it truly bothers me that I am not built to compete in these sports. I'm just too stocky, too heavy, too too too.

*pity party over*

So I got up, had a little snack, and packed up the car while Anna showered and got herself ready. I had mixed feelings about this race, knowing that I wasn't nearly as prepared as the last two years. Left the watch at home to try to do this for "fun." I think the low expectations helped my nerves, which also helped the pre-race GI issues I usually had that were conspicuously absent.
Event warmup:

Got my TA set up and into my wetsuit so I could have a decent swim warmup despite not starting until the 8th and last wave. I've been having shoulder problems this summer in part because of the lack of swim training. Usually when I'm training, I build up to a certain yardage and can hold it without any problems. This year, I had fits and spurts of swimming without much buildup, which has caused problems with my right rotator cuff.

Swam out to the first buoy and around to get used to the water and the visibility. Shoulder was a little annoyed but not terrible. Then out of the water and a lot of waiting around for my wave to start.
Swim
  • 28m 56s
  • 1600 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took a little while to get into a rhythm, but then I found a great pair of feet to draft. Drafted out past the first turn buoy and part of the way back then passed my fish and swam the rest of the course alone, starting to pass some of the stragglers from the wave before. Considering my almost complete lack of swim training, I'm thrilled with this swim. I felt comfortable the whole time, navigation was spot on, and was able to push it without really hurting my shoulder. I was afraid--based on the times of my Walden swims--that this was going to be terribly show. It didn't work out that way. I'm bumping up the yardage on the swim, as consensus was that it was a couple hundred yards long.
What would you do differently?:

Besides actually training for the swim, I can't think of much. I'd like to be able to draft a little better, looking forward a little less while still staying on someone's feet, but I can't complain at all.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Up a set of slippery stone steps from the lake then over to TA and across and back the length. I was in and out of transition while some other people were still taking off wetsuits. I was really happy with this; only way it could have been faster is if I could actually run harder off the swim.

Nada.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 47s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 16.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Needless to say, given the rest of this race report, I was nervous about the bike. I've only got about half as much volume in on the bike this year as either of the other years to this point and no rides over 32 miles! Crazy. I got my bike converted into the aero position a few weeks ago and was never exactly comfortable on it, so a few days ago, I flipped the stem into a more upright position to see if that would do it--and then proceeded to run out of time to take a test ride on it.

So I got on the bike and stayed out of aero for the first couple miles, just getting into a groove and holding a good cadence. Then I finally threw it into the big ring, and tried out the new position.

I loved it! I was so much more comfortable, though surely less aerodynamic. I ended up staying it in most of the ride. I also tried to stay in my big ring most of the ride as well. I never felt out-of-sorts on this ride, always felt like I had plenty of strength but didn't want to push too hard for fear of the run ahead. I passed a handful of people, which was gratifying but probably didn't take in enough water and/or electrolytes. I felt a side stitch growing about 20 miles in, which could spell death for my run. I stopped drinking entirely at that point to see if I could will it away.

Nothing fazed me on this ride. Total positive experience.

Go faster! Seriously, I knew I was going to be slow, but I was hoping to get to 17 mph on this course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

This should have been faster, but I got everything transitioned so quickly I couldn't believe I actually had everything I needed for the run. Jogged out and back the length of TA and onto the run course, stopping to give Anna a kiss and say hi.

Not stand around like an eejut when I've got everything I need!
Run
  • 1h 20m 36s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m  min/mile
Comments:

This was a sufferfest of the highest order. I could feel right out of T2 that I didn't have much in the way of legs after the first two events. But I thought if I just took it easy for the first mile or two, they might come around. I've gotten used to running with fatigue, so I had some confidence. And my side stitch was manageable right in the beginning. I think I made it to the first mile marker in pretty good time (didn't have a watch so couldn't tell), but after taking some water at that station, the side stitch started raging. Had to walk somewhere between mile 1 and 2 as it was such a horrible stabbing pain. I tried everything to get it to go away, and it finally subsided enough to allow some running. Man did it feel awful to start running after doing some walking. Just terrible!

I felt well enough to take a gel and some water at the 2nd mile marker and actually felt good for a couple hundred yards after that. Then it went downhill again. I was trying to catch this man in front of me who was doing a walk/run thing, and I couldn't make up any ground. Had to walk again before mile 3 due to the stitch. Again, horrible, stabbing pain. And, boy, was it hot! I could feel the heat radiating off my face, and I took my cap off and ran holding it so I could get some airflow to my head.

Was happy to see the 3rd mile marker as that meant I was pretty much halfway there. After the first mile, I had seriously been considering pulling the plug on this race and not finishing, I was in so much pain, but I decided to just keep pushing along. Now I knew I was going to finish even though there was a decent amount of distance left to go. Walked again between the third and the fourth mile and almost couldn't get started again. I always forget how stupidly hilly this course is; nothing too terrible but almost constantly a little up or a little down.

Except the water stations, that was the last I walked for the race. In fact, about a half-mile from the finish, I saw another athena jogging ahead of me, and I made it my goal to catch her. Started to kick for the finish, spurted past her, made the turn into the park, saw the 6 mile marker, and knew I had started my kick way too soon. The stitch came back, and I almost fell over. Saw Anna all excited, heard some BT folks, and staggered across the line.

I don't know what to do about these side stitches. Are they from lack of electrolytes? I don't know, but they seriously cramp my style.
Post race
Warm down:

Cool-down more like it. Cold wet towel on my neck helped enormously. The finish line people made me sit down on a chair for a little while and gave me some water. Then lots of water and fruit and water.

After eating and drinking a fair amount and taking a shower, I was still 5 pounds under my pre-race weight. Clearly I was pretty severely dehydrated and probably lacked both calories and electrolytes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, mostly. Side stitch in the short term.

Event comments:

As always, this is a well organized great race with lots and lots of volunteers. The venue and course are scenic, and the BT presence is perfect!

Last updated: 2007-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:56 | 1600 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Wavy loop hugging the shore line of Loon pond.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:47 | 24.9 miles | 16.64 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:20:36 | 06.2 miles | 13m  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-28 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Subject: Cranberry Country Triathlon

2007-08-28 11:08 AM
in reply to: #943785

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Cranberry Country Triathlon

Congratulations! Kiss

Your swim and bike were smokin'! You had a Whizzzzz race! Great swim/bike and a rather horrifying experience on the run. God, I know that feeling all too well. It's my thang. It's what I do. Ugh.

How about we both work our runs this winter??? Like WORK them. According to my coach, I'm going to be focusing on the 10K distance this winter... Maybe you should too... this will help us get faster.

Otherwise, another experience to add to the triathlon arsenal. Load it up, sister. Laughing You gain from each experience and learn THE MOST from the ones that are notsopositive.  

Congrats!!

2007-08-28 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
MA

I am so glad you came out and race - as it might be the last race here in MA.  Nice jobs on the swim and bike.  I need to learn to use an aerobar. 

I know exactly how it felt on the run.  Terrible.  Kudos for staying with it. 

Nice to see you at the pre-race dinner, too.

2007-08-28 6:29 PM

User image

Master
CT
Great job Amanda! Way to gut it out to the finish. The run was hellish and had most of us wishing it would just end!! Good job hanging in!
2007-08-28 7:15 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Amanda..it was great to see you out there Sunday!

Love the swim time and yep I agree it was longer than last year which was 1585ish.....glad the new bike position felt good for you. With half the miles of last year I think you did awesome.

Run was tough for everyone...glad you stuck with it and finished strong. It seems for some of us running is just plain hard....

You are one tough tri chick....enjoy what you did

2007-08-29 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member

be kind to yourself,..you essentially completed an OLy race on an EXREMELY hot day with more than decent swim/bike/transition times and survived a tough run...and were smiling ..after training as best possible with less consistency & volume than you would have liked. CONGRATULATIONS.!

It was really good to see you both pre & post event. Chicago is not THAT far that you can't squeeze in a Mass triathlon a year !!!

2007-08-29 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Amanda  GREAT JOB!! You beat me on the run by 7 minutes so no worries!!!  Glad you felt comfy on the bike.  What was it about mile 20 that seemed to suck the life out of everyone?  I totally get the WTF feeling tho....hope your winter training is awesome
2007-08-29 1:05 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Nice job Amanda and good to see you!
2007-08-30 6:43 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
nice job, and I hear you on the pitty party for this race. I too knew I was under trained, and it was too late to do something about it. Unfortunatley, going long in running dose not realy help get us faster. You will have a better year next year I am sure. I think the electolytes may just help that side stich, at least they can not hurt it.  Glad you hung in there. It was tough for all of us that day. Hope to see you again next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Country Triathlon Rss Feed