United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 40m 28s
Overall Rank = 266/1568
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 49/257
Pre-race routine:

I set my alarm for 4AM so that I could start taking in calories early. Also, stomach issues have plagued me in the past; so, I opted for mostly liquid nutrition this time.

4AM : 3 Ensures, Bagel w/ PB, V8, Water
5AM to Start: Coffee, Water, V8
T-minus 10 : PowerGel (The free caramel one.)

Event warmup:

3/4 mile walk to swim start. There was not an option to warm up on the swim which I would have preferred.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 45s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

It wasn't bad; and it wasn't stellar. I felt a bit nauseated on the last 500 or so. I really wondered if I was going to puke in transition. I also had a pounding headache. My goggles were too tight which was probably my problem. Once I shed them, I felt much, much better.

Oh yeah, I forgot to start my watch which I realized about 10 minutes into the swim. At that point I started it, but I wasn't sure how much time had passed.

Also, I passed my friend Brian on the swim. He would later pass me on the bike and ultimately beat me by 20 minutes or so. But, at this point, I didn't know that - so, it felt good to be kicking his ass so early in the race. :)

What would you do differently?:

Get a professional goggle fitting! Always looking to expand the tri budget. Start my watch on time. DANGIT, that makes two races in a row. How many is it going to take?
Transition 1
  • 08m 50s
Comments:

I thought I was moving pretty good, but the clock says otherwise. I was a little shaky, but still moving. What the heck? It's a long day anyway.

Almost 9 minutes, and I still forgot my biking gloves. Crap. Oh well, no going back now.
Bike
  • 5h 52m 37s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I was disappointed at my time. Biking is my strength so I should have done much better. Plus, I knew the course. I started out cautious and stayed there. My HR should have averaged about 8 to 10 beats higher. The good news is that I have room here for improvement.

My feet cramped (or hurt) REALLY, REALLY badly for the last 20 miles. Gotta review my shoe situation.

Oh, I got a freaking drafting penalty which pissed me off. So, I spent 4 minutes in the penalty tent playing with a cool stop watch. There was another guy from Atlanta there too. Of course, we were both robbed because we were innocent. How can they screw up so bad to put two innocent folks in the penalty tent? FU*K!

Honestly, I don't know what I did wrong. The ref said that there was a group of us drafting for about a minute. He went on to say that I was the one in front. Now, how is that drafting?

Oh well, it's a long day. Take the good with the bad and keep moving. I did pee on one of the penalty tent's poles. Sweet revenge!

My real time is 11:36:28 for those of you out there with a sense of justice.

Push harder. Evaluate my foot positioning and/or shoes - need to solve that cramping problem.
Transition 2
  • 11m 2s
Comments:

My feet hurt so damn bad that I ripped my shoes off just past the dismount line. I nearly fell over twice, but it was soooo sweeeet to get them off; if there had been a trash can, I would have thrown them in the garbage right there.

I guess this was not my day for speedy transitions. Not sure what took me so long. I did take pee-pee break. Good sign for hydration.
Run
  • 4h 10m 17s
  • 26.22 miles
  • 09m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, the benefit of farting around in transitions and during the bike is that I had fresh legs for the run. I felt awesome heading out and pretty much stayed there the whole way. I really felt good.

It got a little mental between 18 and 22, but the rest was repeating this mantra 26.2 times: run to the aid station, run to the mile marker, repeat.

IT WAS HOT, and they ran out of cold sponges toward the end. I couldn't take in any food at all except chicken broth (which I highly recommend) until about mile 16. I survived on water, salt tablets, coke, and chicken broth. That was it.

Not much really. I had a great run.
Post race
Warm down:

Uhmm.. A bit of a blur...medal around my neck, towel on my shoulders, somebody messing with my ankle - something about a timing chip, high fiving my kids...

Seriously, I felt fine. I just wanted some water.

Event comments:

Loved it. The finish was awesome. The crowds downtown and out on the bike loop. Coming down that shoot for the final 0.2 and hearing my name was INCREDIBLE. Congrats to all IRONMEN out there. I admire you.

Last updated: 2006-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:45 | 4224 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/257
Overall: 0/1568
Performance: Good
AHR: 128
Suit: BlueSeventy .03
Course: Course went further upstream than the map showed. It was a one loop course.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
05:52:37 | 112 miles | 19.06 mile/hr
Performance: Average
AHR: 135
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills with 10 flat miles at the beginning and at the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ??
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 11:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:10:17 | 26.22 miles | 09m 33s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Two loop course - fairly flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-28 11:07 AM

User image

Lawrenceville, GA
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2007-08-28 11:11 AM
in reply to: #943919

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congrats on a great race, Ironman.  I loved that you got revenge on the penalty tent.  That is hilarious!!!
2007-08-28 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
My real time is 11:36:28 for those of you out there with a sense of justice.
OMG. You crack me up!!! LOL!Great race Ironman. Congrats!
2007-08-28 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
That is just awesome - Seriously strong times all the way around! Having fresh legs at the start of the run surely is the payoff for weeks of high volume training. Way to go!

c
2007-08-28 5:15 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job! Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing!

Yea, one time I got revenge like you did... except it involved a gas station and their car wash after a night of drinking.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed