General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 16m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-35 female
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

No real pre-race routine. Ate my normal oatmeal, banana, coffee.

No pizza the night before. I had pasta instead.
Event warmup:

Absolutely no warmup. There was a lot of waiting around. Transition closed at 5:45 and my wave wasn't until 9:06
Swim
  • 41m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really should be practicing backstroke. The swim is definitely getting the better of me. The shock of the cold water was something! I managed to feel ok, I thought, for the first few 100 yards or so, then I realized that I was having trouble exhaling which caused a bit of trouble inhaling, so when in a state of panic (he he) roll over onto my back and do backstroke. My swim time out of the water was 38: something, then after running the longest 1/4 mile ever to transition they clocked me finally going over the mat at 41:22. Hey, I was praying I came in under an hour, so I'm definitely happy with that.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim back stroke. I feel like I'm punking out.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

um...What was I doing in transition? According to my time you would think I was sipping tea or something. Oh, I remember...I was almost one of the idiots who couldn't find their bike. I finally found it and took care of business fairly quickly.

Realize that the way I come into transition to set my bike up in the wee hours of the morning isn't how I would be coming into transition out of the swim. Next time I will at least acknowledge where the entrance is to transition and where my bike is from that point.

Transition area was awfully muddy. My bike managed to stay very clean but my feet were a mess and I forgot my towel :(
Bike
  • 1h 27m 32s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I had such poor nutrition on this bike ride. Also I'm not sure if the swim didn't take too much out of me or not. My drinks were piss warm by the time I got to them 6 hours later. I could feel myself, my legs, being fatigued. I definitely didn't feel strong on the bike. I should have felt stronger than I did. It was hot, I was tired (only slept about an hour), poor nutrition...Overall I will take it ;-)

Drink! Drink! Drink! Eat something.
Transition 2
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

I don't know if this is a decent time. I had to run a decent way to my rack. There were some slow pokes in front of me.

I'm not sure. I thought I did ok...I will have to check and see what the average t2 time was and see if I should be looking for ways to shave off some time. I'm sure there are improvements to be made.
Run
  • 1h 00m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good on the run. I definitely could have kicked it up, but I was trying to keep it easy because my foot was killing me. It was killing me Saturday too. Unfortunately, I think it may be another stress fracture. Anyway, I got my legs under VERY quickly, found someone I knew (a fellow TNT'r) and we ran together. She was keeping a lower 9 pace and I thought that was great. I would run with her then kick it up a notch at the end. She slowed down significantly about mile 3ish. I probably shouldn't have stayed with her and just went for it, but I was trying to keep it slow myself because of my foot. I think I helped her though. She said she would have walked if I wasn't there. That makes me happy.

hmmm....Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My foot & poor nutrition

Event comments:

Since this was my first triathlon this size I'm ecstatic that I finished and I'm going to use these times and this experience to help assess the improvements I need to make for next year. There is much improvement to be made here. I have to find a better way to keep track of my overall time during the race. I believe had I known I was only 16 minutes away from 3 hours I think I would have hustled a little more here and there and shaved off a lot of that time.

Last updated: 2007-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:22 | 1640 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2965/
Performance: Below average
Suit: wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:32 | 24.85 miles | 17.03 mile/hr
Overall: 3108/
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: They say it was flat, but really I thought there were some little hills. I wouldn't call it hilly at all though.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:43 | 06.21 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 2447/
Performance: Average
Course: basically flat. Very pretty
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-28 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-08-29 1:11 PM
in reply to: #944810

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Congratulations!

Who said you can't swim? Seems like a good time to me... And you can run for sure! Glad you had a great time in Chicago, next year I will do this one too.

2007-09-06 5:33 AM
in reply to: #944810

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed