of 2

2008-08-14 4:36 PM
in reply to: #502671

User image

Regular
Auckland, New Zealand
Subject: RE: Flip Turns
*BUMP*

Old thread, but thought I'd give you a laugh.

When I tried my first flip turn, I didn't want to get too close so that I hit my heels, so flipped nice and early...and kicked off into space. Nothing there for the legs to connect with - must have been a good 6 inches away from the end of the pool. I must have looked hilarious, big whale, floating backwards slowly towards the end of pool.

So I coolly regained my composure and swum away as if it was intentional. Yeah, right.

I am looking for a new pool now.

2008-08-15 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1604595

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

bigfella3 - 2008-08-14 3:36 PM *BUMP* Old thread, but thought I'd give you a laugh. When I tried my first flip turn, I didn't want to get too close so that I hit my heels, so flipped nice and early...and kicked off into space. Nothing there for the legs to connect with - must have been a good 6 inches away from the end of the pool. I must have looked hilarious, big whale, floating backwards slowly towards the end of pool. So I coolly regained my composure and swum away as if it was intentional. Yeah, right. I am looking for a new pool now.

Haha! I saw a guy do this same thing in a pool swim tri. Talk about a momentum killer!

If you use the markings on the bottom of the pool to line up where to start your flip you will be consistent every time.

2008-08-15 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1605820

Elite
Laurium, MI

for a while I swam in a pool that had a water slide at one end.  This set up a current in a few of the lanes.  First time I swam in it, i could not time flip turns at all.  First length you would fight the current, and when you went to coast in for the turn, you would stop and wind up kicking nothing but water.  So on the way back, even if you set up correctly (even worse if you hesitated from your prior traumatic experience), you smacked your heels.

That current sure made intervals fun.

2009-07-20 3:27 PM
in reply to: #5158

User image

Champion
PA
I was under the impression that doing flip turns would be disruptive to training since the kick off sheds quite a bit of actually swam yardage?  Then again, as I would get to the wall and turn, I realized just how much I slowed by not doing them.  I guess I'm sort of torn as to which way to go.  Perhaps do them for momentum but add an extra lap to compensate for the free ride yardage?

2009-07-20 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2296896

User image

Pector55 - 2009-07-20 1:27 PM I was under the impression that doing flip turns would be disruptive to training since the kick off sheds quite a bit of actually swam yardage?  Then again, as I would get to the wall and turn, I realized just how much I slowed by not doing them.  I guess I'm sort of torn as to which way to go.  Perhaps do them for momentum but add an extra lap to compensate for the free ride yardage?

In my opinion stopping every 25 yds/meters is more disruptive to swim training than doing a flip turn (which is actually more fluid).  Although not necessary at all for OWS, there are lots of good reasons to do them , and there are a number of threads recounting the benefits.

As for as whether they adversely affect training, I've seen Macca and Wendy Ingraham train in the pool.  When those folks stop doing them, I will
2009-07-20 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2296906

User image

Champion
PA
ChrisM - 2009-07-20 4:31 PM
Pector55 - 2009-07-20 1:27 PM I was under the impression that doing flip turns would be disruptive to training since the kick off sheds quite a bit of actually swam yardage?  Then again, as I would get to the wall and turn, I realized just how much I slowed by not doing them.  I guess I'm sort of torn as to which way to go.  Perhaps do them for momentum but add an extra lap to compensate for the free ride yardage?

In my opinion stopping every 25 yds/meters is more disruptive to swim training than doing a flip turn (which is actually more fluid).  Although not necessary at all for OWS, there are lots of good reasons to do them , and there are a number of threads recounting the benefits.

As for as whether they adversely affect training, I've seen Macca and Wendy Ingraham train in the pool.  When those folks stop doing them, I will

Excellent points.  Thank you for the response.  I'll give them a shot tomorrow.

2009-07-20 4:39 PM
in reply to: #5158

Regular
Thanks for the Flip Turn advice.  I've watched some Youtube videos but it's often times too fast to watch.  I saw Michael Phelp's Flip Turn and it doesn't even look like he touches the wall.  But I guess that's what happens when you mate with a dolphin.
2009-07-20 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2296906

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
ChrisM - 2009-07-20 4:31 PM

I personally got used to getting in the extra breath every 25 yards and found myself expecting it when I was out in the open water.  As far as the extra distance from pushing off, just swim longer.  Since I've now got lots of time to work on the little things I'm starting my swim training over from scratch with more pull/paddle work, and trying to do only flip turns.  Going to have to work my way back up though, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flip Turns Rss Feed  

of 2