General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-29 8:10 AM

New user

Subject: Looking for advice
Well I'm now going through the whole process again of working out and getting back into shape. Last year I was down 30 pounds and competed in 2-5k and my first triathlon. With back problems and family issues I'm now back working out 4-5 days a week in they gym and up 20 pounds and I'm trying to get back where I was. I've now set a goal to do compete in the triathlon next June and I'm seeking help.

My question. I'm looking at doing the couch to 5k aggressive plan and I don't see any mention of weight training and or pool time. I have a hard time understanding taking rest days because it feels like I'm not doing enough. I know I'm wrong, I'm just looking for someone help me understand the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance..

2007-08-29 8:38 AM
in reply to: #945366

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
Subject: RE: Looking for advice
Jwurtz,

You don’t have to be going all out "balls to the wall" to make your goal of a Tri in 10 months. In my limited experience in many, many sports this has been my undoing and self destruction shortly sets in. Usually the slow route is the way to go and it will help develop a strong base to build on. In my body building days taking a break for a couple of weeks was great for the gains but killed my psyche because I felt so weak when I returned. All I could think about was pushing to get back to where I was. This usually ended in small but annoying injuries.

If you are worried about taking rest days savor them because they will help you get through mental and physical burnout. You don’t have to sit on the couch for a rest day. Playing a different sport for example: Mountain Biking, Extreme Frisbee, Soccer, or walking with friends, can be forms of active rest. Just don’t push it too far and tire yourself out for the TRI training.

In my opinion if you are doing a 5K aggressive and looking to do more you will be injured if you push too hard. A good indication will be the shin splints starting or some small pains in the legs.

Many people including myself have TRIed too hard at the start and injured themselves or even worse, dabbled a little then left the sport all together.

Good luck,

Ryan.
2007-08-29 9:19 AM
in reply to: #945366

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Looking for advice
I'm not familiar with the plan, but remember that too much too soon is a good way to injure yourself. Ramp up your training in a progressive manner.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for advice Rss Feed