General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Buckeye Challenge Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Great Buckeye Challenge Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 20s
Overall Rank = 89/169
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/16
Pre-race routine:

I was undertrained for this race... I raced twice at the beginning of the summer, but I got busy/lazy and have not been very disciplined.

My last tri was something of a fiasco with the dreaded OWS freak-out and a very demotivating bike. So, I borrowed a better bike and worked on mentally preparing for the OWS and just looked to gain back the confidence I lost back in June.

Up at 5:30 to drive 45 minutes to race site. Bagel with peanut butter, OJ, and coffee.
Ate a Clif Bar, set up transition. Picked up packet the night before so I didn't have to wait in any lines.
Set up transition.... much less stressed out/nervous energy on my third tri.
Ate a banana, checked water temperature, sipped Gatordade.. visited the toilet a few times
Event warmup:

It was a chilly morning. Kept moving to try to keep warm.
Swam about 5 minutes, hoping to avoide the OWS freakout come race time.

Swim
  • 15m 32s
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

As mentioned, on my last tri, I had the OWS panic and almost let it ruin my race. I was determined to keep calm and go at a nice slow pace... not worry about different color caps passing me, not get over-confident.
The swim was really good. I kept a good pace, was able to keep my face in the water, and generally felt calm and confident the whole time.

Official time was 16:52--- my watch time indicates the 80 second run from the lake to T1. I agree with another race report that this swim might have been shorter than posted... Otherwise, this time was smoking fast for me (and highly unpredicted)--- I sure didn't feel like I was swimming faster than I do when I train. Maybe I was.

What would you do differently?:

Get more used to OWS and be more competitive
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Fine-- I may look into a race belt so I don't have to have my number on the front of my shirt.
Bike
  • 44m 3s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 16.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Biking is my weak area. I had been riding an old junker I bought off CraigsList, but it was so frustrating to work so hard for such little speed. I sold it at a garage sale the weekend before the tri and gave my wife's old road bike a spin. Not much newer, but a lot better.

I did pick up the pace and did about 6 minutes better (for this distance) than my previous 2 tris. I still don't train enough on the bike... so I know that it still needs a lot of work.

I did enjoy the ride though. I had such postive energy coming out of the water that I was in good spirits and just did my best.

I did see hellacious drafting though.... very blatant and for long distances. It was on the back half of the course and I didn't see many race officials around... so maybe this happens more than I thought. In my first 2 tris I didn't seen much at all.

Train more... get a new bike. I am actually "shopping" around a bit now with my eye on a new road bike by the end of the year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Just fine.

I have been eating a Hammer Gel during T2, but each time it leaves a bit of a brick in my stomach for the first half of the run.

I will try some different gels or some other nutrition to see if anything works better for me than Hammer Gels.
Run
  • 25m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Usually my run is my strongest area. In the two other tris I've done my times were almost 2 minutes faster. I just did not feel like I could pick up any speed once I got going.

I think maybe that for the first time I actually had a pretty good swim, and a faster bike, so maybe I was just more tired this time. Plus, like I said, I have not run much this summer, so maybe I was off for that reason.

I think the Hammer Gel in T2 is not sitting well with me. I just have kind of a rock in my stomach feeling for the first mile or so. Nothing major, I just don't know what else it could be...

Will run more. Work on speed. Maybe a brick here and there. I will experiment with other nutrition other than the Hammer Gel.

Post race
Warm down:

None really... drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

I had a great race. I was really low in self confidence after my June race, so i needed this to get me back on the horse. I had hoped to race one more time this year, but scheduling is not lookin good based on family stuff... so, this was as good of a race as any to end my first season.

Last year at this time I announced my goal to complete a triathlon in 07, and I've done 3. So I'm pretty pleased.

Last updated: 2007-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:32 | 1056 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 77/169
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: beach start, long, counterclockwise rectangle along the beach.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:03 | 12.4 miles | 16.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 121/169
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:19 | 03.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 73/169
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back along a path, then across a levy, turnaround and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-29 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: The Great Buckeye Challenge Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-08-29 2:36 PM
in reply to: #946123

User image

Regular
Birmingham, Michigan
Subject: RE: The Great Buckeye Challenge Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Your times are excellent. You should be proud of yourself. Congratulations on three this year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Buckeye Challenge Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed