World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 32m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This could also be titled the "Race Week from Hell". It all began on the way up to Louisville. My daughter and I drove up on Thursday and my wife and son were supposed to fly up on Friday. About half way to Louisville, my daughter starts to hack and activated her gag reflex causing her to barf all over herself, her clothes, and her car seat. I pulled over at a truck stop to clean her up. Poor kid had barf all over her and was upset she had gotten sick. It was all in her seat so she couldn't sit in it. Luckily she was still small enough to fit into Aaron's seat for the remainder of the trip. This was a forshadowing of things to come!

Friday rolled around and I was feeling pretty good about the race. I went into town and registered and got all my goodie bags, hit the expo and checked out the swim exit and transition area. Met Greg Welsh coming out of the Media Center which was cool. He is a really little guy! Things were going well until that evening when I was supposed to pick up Kate and Aaron from the airport. Her flight was delayed several times due to Tstorms in Atlanta and then her crew timed out so they cancelled the flight. To add insult to injury, Aaron had a blowout diarrhea diaper on the plane which went all over him and his clothes. Long story short, my wife was riding MARTA back to North Springs at midnight with a naked (except for a diaper) baby.

Saturday turned out to be the only decent day of the whole trip. I went in and checked my bike and bags into transition, and then picked up the wife and son from the airport. The remainder of the day was spent resting and eating.

Then came race day which you can read about below............
Event warmup:

None, they wouldn't let us into the water prior to the start. I suppose the 3/4 mile walk from transition could count for it.
Swim
  • 1h 15m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really liked the swim despite the TT start. It was nice not to get beaten up so badly in the first 200-300m.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't wear my tinted goggles. We started swimming east (upstream) so I figured the tinted ones would be needed to combat the rising sun. Instead there was a cloud cover and it made it next to impossible to see the buoys. I kept having to take my goggles off to find the buoys going upstream. This cost me alot of time.
Transition 1
  • 06m 45s
Comments:

Longish run from the swim exit to transition and then another longish run to the street. I wasn't in the actual tent more than 1-2 minutes at most.
Bike
  • 6h 30m 53s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah where to begin here.....I knew something was wrong when my chain started skipping on the way out River Road. I was in a comfortable gear, my HR had come down and I was cruising at 21-22 mph. When we hit the first climb at mile 11 I dropped down to the small chainring and the 23 in the back to spin up the hill. My rear derailluer kicked the chain over the 23 and into my wheel where it promptly became hoplessly wedged. 20 minutes later and covered in grease I was on my way (or so I thought) 100ft later it happend again. I finally decided that the 23 was out of commission for the day and that the 21 should be used sparingly so it didn't hop over to the 23. This would be critical later on as there were some hills I would have liked to spin up, but instead I had to mash up in bigger than preferred gears. As if my day hadn't been bad enough, I and several other athletes got drafting penalties when we were stuck behind a car on Hwy 146. First penalty I have ever received in all my years of triathlon. The rest of the ride was an exercise in what gear can I use an not have it skip. Toward the end of the ride it got a little better, and I was able to make up a bit more speed coming back into town.

Change the chain out and bring a multi tool with me on the bike. Take out the mechanicals and penalty and it puts me right under 6 hrs which is about where I wanted to be. Throw in the use of all my gears and things could have been a whole lot different.
Transition 2
  • 14m 23s
Comments:

I felt a little queasy coming off the bike. After I changed and came out of the tent I blew chunks all over the ground. The medical people wanted to check me out so that was the delay in getting out on the run course. I think I just drank to much water.

Not blow chunks!
Run
  • 6h 24m 28s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

After barfing in T2 I was feeling pretty good. I went out and ran the first mile in 9 min and was happy. I figured I could still run a 4hr-ish marathon and still have a respectable time. Then my right IT band completely seized on me. I couldn't run at all and I could barely walk. I tried to massage it out but it wasn't having any of that. I walked the next two miles and borrowed a cell phone to call my wife and tell her that I probably wouldn't be finishing the race. At mile 6 I asked if there was a medical tent and would have probably tapped out if there had been one there. For some reason at mile 8 or so I started feeling good, so I ran. And I was able to run for about a 1/2 mile at a time until the IT would bark, and that is how it was for the next 18 miles. Run a little, walk a little. I couldn't drop out since I had so many people at the race and on here pulling for me. There was no way I was going to let you all down. I was able to run down the chute with my family and cross the line in relatively good shape. It was by far the hardest day I have ever had on a race course, in a way it makes the finish that much more rewarding.

Not buy new running shoes that alter my stride 3 weeks before the race (Newton's). I started running in them and my IT band on my right leg was screaming.

I am also not 100% convinced that the kidney stones of last week didn't have something to do with my performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with the family, took my finisher photo and ate some food. Collected my morning clothes and gear from transition and went home to shower.

Epilouge: On Monday, as we prepared to go home Aaron got really sick. We called out pediatrician and they suggested that we take him to the hospital to receive fluids. When we arrived he was so dehydrated that they kept him overnight. He is better now, but still has the stomach virus.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I should have changed the chain out or put my cassette from my training wheels on my bike. That would have eliminated my bike issues. Worn goggles not as tinted on the swim (self explanatory). Not tried to change my running shoes that were perfectly fine 3 weeks before the race.

Not gotten a kidney stone 2 weeks before the race :)

Event comments:

I highly recommend this race. It's in a great city with fantastic volunteers and spectators. Other than the fact that I sucked it was the best race I have ever done.

Last updated: 2007-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Inverted J starting at the dock behind Tumbleweeds restaurant, following the channel between Towhead Island and the shore, before a left turn into the main channel.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:30:53 | 112 miles | 17.19 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Out and then two loops in Oldham and Henry counties and back to Louisville. Moderately hilly and very hot.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 14:23
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:24:28 | 26.2 miles | 14m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back twice on 3rd street with a loop at the beginning for Mile 1 and a loop at the end for Lap 2.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-29 5:10 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2007-08-29 5:26 PM
in reply to: #946421

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
So much to overcome and still make it to the finish.  Way to go.  It is not when things come easy that we grow, but when we face and overcome obstacles that our true character and resolve show through. 
2007-08-29 5:36 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Wow! My hat is off to you for sticking it out after all that.

~Mike
2007-08-29 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Ironman is about so much more than finishing time, and you really overcame some obstacles that would've sidelined many athletes. You truly deserve the title IRONMAN!!! Nice job of hanging in there!!
2007-08-29 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

"Other than the fact that I sucked it was the best race I have ever done."  - That quote really made me laugh, it's a good thing you still have your sense of humor after that race.

I guess you are a walking example of "everything that can go wrong, will go wrong" in this race - I'm so sorry you had to fight so many battles this weekend after working so hard up to this race. I love your attitude now going into SC to tear up the course instead, it really shows a lot about your determination and character!

You did an awesome job, you kept pushing on when so many people would have called it a day. Since you're not further injured now, I think you made the right decision to stick it out. I'm really proud of you for finishing this race despite everything that went wrong, something that I'll certainly remember when I'm miserable at a race in the future.

Great job!!

2007-08-29 7:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
Watching you come down the chute and and knowing that you must have had some serious problems really got to me.  Thanks for being such an inspiration.

2007-08-29 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
way to go rocketman..  great race report, baby puke and all !!  it's been a while since i checked in you.  i was living the good life in hawaii then, but i've been in louisville now almost a year.  sorry i missed seeing you this weekend, my wife and i were cheering all of you IM on though !!  HOOYAH on a great performance !!
2007-08-29 7:26 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Brett--you overcame a lot both physically and personally.  I am so impressed that you hung in there to finish the race.  Honestly, I thought you were going to take a DNF coming out of T2.  It was obvious something was wrong.  You didn't let the mental and physical demons defeat you and STILL finished the race in an impressive fashion.  I had a blast following you.  Congrats Ironman!!!!
2007-08-29 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Wow, way to stick it out through all those issues!! That is amazing.
2007-08-29 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I cannot believe you had all the things go wrong that you did and STILL did a 14 hr ironman! Determination!
2007-08-29 8:09 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Tough weekend and race day but man you have the spirt of an Ironman to keep with it and do amazing.

You adjusted as needed and made due...impressive.

Sorry your kids were sick and made the weekend I'm sure more difficult.

Congrats on an amazing race even if it didn't turn out as expected~

2007-08-29 8:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on your huge accomplishment. You definitely hung in there and definitely earned your title. I hope the whole family is feeling better.
2007-08-29 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great tenacity! You still knocked out an ironman in about the worst conditions possible, so big kudos to you. Still an incredible accomplishment! I can't wait to see you burn down Greenwood SC!
2007-08-29 8:19 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA

Really great swim and good job finishing under some tough circumstances.  I would have bailed!  Great race report also.

2007-08-29 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Iron tough man, that's all I've got to say... you're iron tough.
2007-08-29 9:28 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

HUGE, that's you, Brett!  Great race report, though I know it probably pained you to write (and relive) a few of those "colorful" moments related to travel and the actual race.  As AD, noted, it was a blast following and pulling for you.  Like the others, I didn't doubt that you'd cross the finish line, and it was awesome seeing you and your family jog down the chute together.

Way to go!  (and I can't wait to see what you do @ SC HIM!)

2007-08-30 5:25 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Holy cow, that was like a perfect storm of stuff to overcome but you still finished an IM! That's the way to be tough.

Great job and way to hang in. .

c
2007-08-30 6:59 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

You people need to BACK OFF....my coach is an IRONMAN!  He was my coach first and you can't take him.

Great job on gutting it out.  As you found out, it's about crossing that line.  You did it and overcame some serious stuff.  That's huge man.  I'm glad that Aaron is better now and that you guys are intact.

I hope now that you're an Ironman Coach I don't have to pay you more...

2007-08-30 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Brett,
Again, great job finishing the race! As a father, I can appreciate the stress you were under starting with your daughter puking in the car. Add your wife and son's flight problems and that stress triples. It would say alot of you to just do the race after all of that, but to go through race day problems like you did and still get to the finish line says alot about your character.
Oh, and you must be married to a saint, I applaud your wife for all she went through to be there with the kids to support you.
See you at the next NAMC meeting.
T.J.
2007-08-30 8:01 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Now that you got all the bad things out of the way that could happen in a race, your next IM distance race is going to seem like nothing but glory!

I am sorry that it was a serious of unfortunate events.  I know how hard you have trained for this and how frustrating it must be to have 'ridiculous speed' in training and not be able to use it on race day. (Okay, I  don't know what it's like to have your ridiculous speed ... but I feel your pain.)

You handled what was thrown at your with the mental toughness that few other have; way to stick it out to the end.

2007-08-30 8:38 AM

User image

Lawrenceville, GA

Wow, you really had the IRONMAN experience in full. Congrats on sticking it out and finishing. That is impressive. It was nice meeting you - even if it was in the penalty tent!

2007-08-30 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Congrats on the finish. That's all that matters. You know you have much better races ahead, but none of them will teach you as much about yourself as this last one, and the few days surrounding it. Great Job not opting out. Shows a lot of charachter.
2007-08-30 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
I am once again awed and inspired by what it takes to finish an IM race. Dealing with everything you had thrown at you and still being able to finish is quite a feat. Awesome job. Hope everyone is feeling better.
2007-08-30 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Wow! I struggle with IT problems myself, and they just totally suck. Ugh! So proud of you for sticking with it!
2007-08-30 10:53 AM
in reply to: #946837

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Marvarnett - 2007-08-30 6:59 AM

You people need to BACK OFF....my coach is an IRONMAN!  He was my coach first and you can't take him.

Great job on gutting it out.  As you found out, it's about crossing that line.  You did it and overcame some serious stuff.  That's huge man.  I'm glad that Aaron is better now and that you guys are intact.

I hope now that you're an Ironman Coach I don't have to pay you more...

Didn't you get the memo? once a coach completes an IM he/she can double the $$!

RM - tough day for sure and tough luck the weeks before the race. Still you tough it up and managed to complete the race overcoming serious adversity! 

Congrast and I hope you get back to normal soon!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  

of 2