General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shin pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-30 3:51 PM

Subject: shin pain
I just completed my first Sprint Tri in Santa Barbara last weekend, absolutely loved it. I’m looking forward to my next one. Here’s my questions: throughout training and now post race, I have had and continue to have a nagging pain in the front of my right shin. Is this normal for heavier tri-athletes? Any stretches, tips on how to prevent/fix?

2007-08-30 4:19 PM
in reply to: #947699

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: shin pain

Sounds like Shin Splints. Generally caused by increased training/racing (running).  The increased amount of running puts pressure on the bone which causes the pain.  Generally reduce running (or other impact activities) and make sure to icreasei mpact activities by not more than 10% volume wise each week.  If you're stupid like me and continue running on shim spilts they can develop into a stress fracture. 

2007-08-30 4:46 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Need help on this. I am experiencing this too but my situation is different. I have been training since the beginning of the year running twice per week. In august 5th I did my first oly succesfully. I never experienced any pain in my shins, after the OLY, I decreased my running distance to 3 or 4 miles twice per week but increased my speed from 11 min/mile to 10 min/mile and started experiencing this pain. Do you think this would have the same effect? how can I make it go away?
2007-08-30 9:39 PM

Shin splints or shin pain is an inflammation of the covering of the muscle in the front of your lower leg. I used to get this in high school when we switched from soccer season to track season, and thought it had to do with the pounding on the track. Now I understand it comes when our hip flexors are weak and we don't lift our knees enough in the running stride. When this happens, it causes the front leg muscle (Tibialis Anterior) to overwork and swell.
Try stretching your hip flexors more before you run http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/KneelingHipFlexor.html
and also swing your arms a bit more when you run. Your knees will follow what your hands do, and that will decrease the stress on your shins.
Good first aid is ice massage (Freeze a cup of water and use this on the shin) and a homeopathic anti-inflammatory called ARNICA.
Hope this gets you back in shape fast!
2007-08-30 10:07 PM
in reply to: #948074

New user
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
I have been battling shin splints for months now. I have tried everything to help them, new shoes, arch supports, no socks, with socks, rest for 1 month, ice, anti-inflammatories, toe raises, stretching, all to no avail. However, what you described about the hip flexors sounds exactly like me. I don't lift my knees much because I have bad hips, weak or genetics I am not sure, but I am going to try your advice!
2007-09-04 11:42 AM
in reply to: #948074

THANK YOU DOCSHAWN!!!

This is excellent advise! Not only do I thank you but my shins thank you as well!!

2007-09-09 3:07 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
I have been having the same problem and was griping to a friend that I forgot used to be a trainer for years. The first thing she asked was whether I had good arch support. Apparently a lot of shin problems are caused by too much pressure on the arch. If it starts to flatten a bit it pulls the calf bones (tibia and fibula) apart a little causing pain. Reluctantly I bought some insoles with good arch support and put them in my running shoes. After not being able to run more than three minutes lately, I have done two 1.5 mile runs this week without pain. I am so freaking excited!

So, try the arch support. It may work for you.
2007-09-09 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
I was plagued by shinsplints the second half of my first tri season and all of my second season.  It became so bad by second season that I ended up at the docs office so that i could get a real diagnosis and treatment plan.  There is so much bad info out there on shin splints.  The doc referred me to a PT guy who was an ex-pro triathlete.  The PT gave me some stretches and tibia dorsi strengthening exercises that didn't really help.  My problem was that I could run all day at a good training pace, but the minute that I tried to increase the pace my shins would feel like they were going to break.  It got so bad that it hurt to walk on them the day after a race.

No matter how much time i took off, or how slow I started back, nothing seemed to help.  This season I have done two things differently and as a result of one or maybe both of them, I have not had any shin pain.  I lost about 20 lbs, and I bought a pair of Newtons running shoes.  I don't know which one helped, but I suspect that it was a little of both

Edited by tsmith 2007-09-09 9:14 PM
2007-09-10 11:13 AM

i defintely think that losing weight would help relieve the pain in my shins. I also think that being flat footed could be a cause, and I'm going to check out getting a new pair of arch support running shoes. I usually wear adidas shoes, but I might have to branch out and find another brand that makes better arch support shoes...
2007-09-11 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

As a former crhoic shin pain sufferer, a few things jump out at me in this thread...

• it makes sense that as you increase pace, the pain gets worse.  Running faster significantly increases the stress of each impact.
  • x2 on the hip flexor causing your entire form to fall apart, and the resultant injuries.  When I stretched mine the first time I could not believe how good it felt.
  • don't discredit some of the other methods - I'm a big believer in strengthening your lower legs to help reinforce and stabilize that region.  I like toe raises, calf presses on the steps (stand on edge of step with front of foot, drop heel below step and then stand on tip-toes... hold for 3 seconds and repeat), and basically any strength exercise that involves lifting part of your foot off the ground and leaving another part on the ground.
  • breathing technique - if your pain is primarily on one side... I suggest switching to an alternating breathing pattern of 3 strides in, 2 strides out.  I read this in runners world years ago, and despite skepticism, tried it since I was desparate.  Apparently your body is most relaxed as you start your exhale... and if you breath 2/2 (most runners do), you are probably exhaling while the same foot hits the ground thousands of times over.  Switching to a 3/2 (or any odd numbered combo) will help even the load.  If you can't get comfortable with 3/2, or in races where I need more than that... I run 2/2 but I switch every 50 or so breaths (yes, I count).  This made a big difference for me in high school, and is now second nature.
  • shoes.  Keep on trying them if you continue to have pain.  Go to a specialty running shot, and get properly fitted.  If tell them about your pain... they should be able to help with more or less motion control, greater cushioning, etc. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shin pain Rss Feed