General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat triathlete??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-08-30 11:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun
Subject: Fat triathlete???

Being a "fat triathlete" myself (but also a doctor), I'm compelled to start this thread to remind everyone of what's truly important (from a health standpoint, anyway!)

I see many BTers writing about their weight goals (and frustrations), self image/self consciousness issues. I KNOW about the struggles w/ weight, etc. (having yo-yo'd throughout my lifetime, and struggling w/ the scale again).

PLEASE remind yourselves of all the good that your tri-ing is doing for you.  I don't care what you weigh; the fact that you train for/compete in triathlons (regardless of your speed) is incredible.  Exercise helps your cardiovascular endurance, functional status, decreases insulin resistance and lipids (as well as risk for diabetes).  As a doctor, one of the most important questions I ask people being admitted to the hospital (for chest pain, etc.) is what kind of aerobic exercise they're capable of.  If you're like me, training has put you in better cardiovascular health than you were years ago, and physically, THAT's most important.

I understand the battle w/ the scale, but on those "bad days" when the scale doesn't move or you're unhappy w/ your shape, PLEASE pat yourselves on the back for EVERYTHING you do in training--and be proud.

Julie 

2007-08-31 12:14 AM
in reply to: #948118

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Fat triathlete???
Hey Julie,

Thanks for the encouragement! Even after I've done some 26 triathlons, at least 7 of them at my current weight of 250-ish, my mom still thinks I'm going to die of a heart attack each time I go out there. And forget it when I did my marathon. I feel pretty darn fit though.

-Jayne
2007-08-31 12:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Jayne--

Glad you liked the comments.  Your book is awesome, and an inspiration for ALL of us out there.  I've recommended it to several people, NONE of whom (myself included) would EVER have thought we could do this.

Your mom can relax; I just had a treadmill stress test (normal, by the way) which qualified me as "excellent cardiovascular status".  I'm SURE you fit that category, too, and can reassure your mom!

Julie 

2007-08-31 9:12 AM

Veteran
Yes, I like Jayne, am a fat triathlete. Hey Jayne, I'm at 14 tris so far (including a HIM) A few half marathons, a marathon, a century, etc. and hoping to do IMFL 08.
Thanks Julie for the encouragement. Between menopause, my metabolism and my love of food, I can't see my 250 ish weight going too far down. I do get grustrated as weight seems to be a limiter for me in many ways, but I'm still out there plodding away-usually last or close to it.
I have to keep remembering about the health aspects.
Thanks again.
Rhonda
2007-08-31 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

For any of us who are ever last or nearly so, remember this....

What do they call the last person across the finish line?  A TRIATHLETE!

J. 

2007-08-31 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
How wonderfully encouraging this thread is! I just started "training" to get myself into healthy shape after having major surgery this past December. I'm more than 250# and trying to not get discouraged by the slow progress I'm making. I keep reminding myself that I *am* making progress. My 1st goal is a 5K in November. Mr. USMC is a triathlete and I love watching everyone finish their events. I'm the one who's always standing at your finish line crying with joy that you're finishing, but lately there's been this teeny little voice in my head whispering to me "I wonder if I could do *that*" and I'd like to find out

2007-08-31 8:03 PM

User image

Regular
Yeah, we should be encouraging each other! Even at our higher weights, we're probably in better shape than, what, maybe 85% of the US population?

I was just in the UK for two weeks, and especially in Edinburgh, I was noticing how much walking most people do there. And by golly, Edinburgh's got some steep hills to be walking up and down. And every building seems to have 3 or 4 flights of stairs too. I felt like just my tourist-level walking around was pretty good cardio work. Then ya get back to the USA and everything's set up for you to be in your car all the time, at leas that's how it is here in Cali.

Rhonda - awesome that you are going to do an IM! I am planning to as well - maybe NZ 2009? I actually do want to drop a substantial amount of weight for that though. I don't feel like I could go fast enough to make the time limit at my current weight. I should be fine at 190-200 though.

Maybe I should get a stress test just to shut my mom up. (It'd be so worth it...)

Cheers
Jayne
2007-08-31 11:15 PM

New user

I'm so glad to see this thread. I continually get frustrated when I check my BMI and see myself clased as "obese"; and yet I'm working out daily. I don't feel; obese! I wish the weight would be coming off faster; but it isn't. It gets to be a downer when I'm always the big person at the gym and I look around at all the skiinny mini's (I work at a university and the young coeds are far thinner than I am). But I have to remind myself, I'm here at the gym and I'm working out. I'm fitter than I look and by gosh I'm going to be proud of what I can do!
2007-09-01 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
I R FAT. So WUT?Smile
2007-09-01 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

What great wisdom and thoughts of encouragement!! LOL....sometimes I wish my doc would tell me lose weight because of ABC; but all he says is that I am above average on physical fitness, all my tests come out average or above and that I am just about as healthy as it gets.  And that losing weight for me at this stage of the game is simply a personal comfort preference!!!  I guess that's good; but I am in the obese range with about 50 lbs. to lose (down from 75!) since giving birth to our son 4 years ago.

And I KNOW that "THAT HILL" will much easier sans 50 lbs.  so I will keep at it ~~~> with a new attitude at this point!

Edited by suziq_623 2007-09-01 4:00 PM
2007-10-22 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I'm glad to have found this thread. It's my first time back on the site in a few months. When I did the same sprint tri I did last year, and did no better on my time - I was really bummed.
I know my training wasn't as consistent as it should have been, and I didn't lose a lb. from the year before!

I had signed up for an oly months in advance as incentive, but couldn't do it when the time came.
I fell into a funk. I'm 48 and fat. I really thought that the training would help me lose weight. I've done nothing for months.

I'm trying to remember my long term goal which was to do an IM at 50. There is no reason to throw that goal out.
I am going to focus on weight loss for the next few months and I am planning on starting again in March.

Anyone else overcome a funk?

Mitzi

2007-10-22 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1019135

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

I think we need to look @ funks as part of the process. We all have times when motivation's missing, but need to learn not to flog ourselves for what we haven't done and just get on with it.

That being said, it helps to figure out if there's anything external driving it. Not doing better a year later is frustrating, but be honest (and forgiving!) with yourself when you start criticizing or feeling inadequate.

As hard as it is, if I haven't been consistent in my training I know I shouldn't expect to do any better (of course we want to anyway!). Just don't take that as a slam on your POTENTIAL to do better.

When I'm not motivated to train, I try to plan workouts I will ENJOY, rather than something I HAVE to do. That reminds me why I started doing this in the first place---'cause I loved it!

I have faith you can do it. Just gotta get back up on that horse!

Julie

2007-10-23 7:02 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

I'm reminded of a quote by a fellow BT'er- I'm a "very fat fit person".   Pretty much says it all.

CV disease runs in my family.  In spite of all my exercise (well, not lately if you peek at my logs- I've been not feeling up to it the past few weeks) I still struggle to keep my LDL and HDL where they should be.  My cholesterol just got down to the borderline level this year.  I just turned 40, so it will probably be harder to control.    Everything else is in perfect range except for the fattie markers!

Yeah, I"m heavy.  I don't even own a scale.

what kinda doc are you?  I work in a clinical lab. 

2007-10-24 4:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

I'm a hospitalist--an internal medicine doc who only takes care of inpatients.  My husband is a surgical ICU nurse; between the two of us we're constantly reminded how lucky we are to even be ABLE to physically do the things we can do, since it can change in a heartbeat.

We're so critical of ourselves (and frequently others); not that I'm excusing "whining", but sometimes ya just gotta appreciate what you DO, and lighten up on yourself for what you don't.  As a happier person, EVERYTHING's easier.

2007-10-24 8:31 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Thank you for the reminder and the encouragement!
2007-10-24 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Julie - we definitely need more doctors like you!

Thanks for your encouraging words. I've done more than 20 triathlons - including 2 HIMs and am training for my first Ironman. All at 200+ pounds. It amazes me how incredibly critical I am of myself even though I have turned in some incredible times, went from not being able to run two minutes straight to running double-digit run races, and done some incredible feats of fitness that most "skinny people," wouldn't even dream of doing. Yet I can't give myself a break or a pat on the back for fear that I'll return to that unfit, fat person who watched T.V. all day and ate. It's unrelenting that mental demon in my mind and it's so HARD to drown out his voice of "You're fat..." especially when his voice has been made stronger by years of torment from my family, so-called firends and virtual strangers who think its fun to pick on others who weigh more than them.

But each time I cross a finish line - and more often in not I'm NOT DFL anymore - I smile because whatever any one says about me I know that I have accomplished fitness goals that 98 percent of the country have not even attempted. And there in lies a satisfaction that is permenant and never goes away - even if the scale doesn't move this week!

2007-10-24 10:25 AM

I am also a "fat triathlete" as well. This is my second year getting back into doing triathlons and I had plans of dropping some more weight and doing several more triathlons this season, but lost almost 3 months of training this spring from an injury from a bike spill followed by a heavy work load that involved travel and many long days. By the time I got back into it, I had gained 20 lbs and lost a lot of the fitness I had gained previoulsy. I was in one of those" funks" that you mentioned. I skipped the first few triathlons I had planned on doing this year and was having trouble getting back into training. I got some real support and encouragement from the several of the triathletes in the local club to hang in there and keep going. I am talking about some very accomplished triathletes that have been overall or age group winners in many of the area triathlons and have done well in full IMs.

This fall they encouraged me to enter a sprint triathlon that many of them were doing for fun to wrap up the season. So I signed up even though I knew I was going to struggle and be so slow that I might be last. As expected I was nearly last out of the water. I passed a few on the bike (mostly ones with mechanical problems). Starting out on the run I wasn't sure I had enough left to even finish, then I hear the folks in my club yelling my name and cheering to hang in there and keep going. That gave me the strengh to keep on moving. When I finally finished the run they were still there cheering for me even though they had finished quite a while ago.

Friends and fellow triathletes like that is one of the reasons I will keep doing this sport year after year no matter what.
2007-10-24 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1022177

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
infosteward - 2007-10-24 9:16 AM

Julie - we definitely need more doctors like you!

Thanks for your encouraging words. I've done more than 20 triathlons - including 2 HIMs and am training for my first Ironman. All at 200+ pounds. It amazes me how incredibly critical I am of myself even though I have turned in some incredible times, went from not being able to run two minutes straight to running double-digit run races, and done some incredible feats of fitness that most "skinny people," wouldn't even dream of doing. Yet I can't give myself a break or a pat on the back for fear that I'll return to that unfit, fat person who watched T.V. all day and ate. It's unrelenting that mental demon in my mind and it's so HARD to drown out his voice of "You're fat..." especially when his voice has been made stronger by years of torment from my family, so-called firends and virtual strangers who think its fun to pick on others who weigh more than them.

But each time I cross a finish line - and more often in not I'm NOT DFL anymore - I smile because whatever any one says about me I know that I have accomplished fitness goals that 98 percent of the country have not even attempted. And there in lies a satisfaction that is permenant and never goes away - even if the scale doesn't move this week!

Very well said...

2007-10-24 12:15 PM

User image

Regular
I'm really loving this thread. I think it's really important for slow fat triathletes to celebrate their accomplishments and to realize that to a certain degree we are always going to be on the margin of the sport. The "Active Triathlete" e-newsletters are all about "Core Training for Faster Times" and how to be faster and faster. For a lot of us, it's not about the speed. We may get faster and stronger, but we're never going to be gazelles. So we have to stick up for ourselves and for each other. Tell those race organizers to order more XXL t-shirts, to leave the finish line up longer, to make sure there's fluids at the aid stations for the later finishers. Speak up about the need for clothes that fit us - guys and gals both. Let the magazines know we're here, we're proud, and our numbers are growing.

-jayne
2007-10-24 10:22 PM

User image

Regular
I really like a thought I read here that every time you cross the finish line you are faster than the 400 people at the end who are spectating, and 200 or so people along the race route who never got up the nerve to do what you are doing. I apply that to whatever I'm doing, on a daily basis if need be, when I'm feeling slow and fat. I'm racing on the ice next week for the first time in over a year and I'm fighting the thought that I shouldn't even be on the ice. I mean, I'm going to be going round and round and round the rink in a skin tight suit with hundreds of people watching flabby self. I'm going to be repeating in my mind that I'm the one out here doing this not in the stands wishing I could and, I'm having fun regardless of how fast I'm going. Jayne is right, sometimes it isn't about being faster, you CAN enjoy the sport at your current level of fitness, and really, people would be alot happier if they realized this.
2007-10-24 10:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Hallelujiah! (sp?) Thanks for the compliment, but I think many docs think as I do...If you can get out there and do weight-bearing exercise, you're taking care of yourself.

It's great to see the motivation and perseverance we demonstrate, which is especially difficult given that it's hard on bigger bodies' joints to keep doing the things we do.

infosteward--I've read your race reports; you're amazing! (and an inspiration to all of us!

browncd--you go, girl! Way to go on slugging it out! I'm glad your tri-club was so supportive! (So many of us (me included) are too intimidated to even join clubs, as we're sure everyone else is faster!!!) It's so important to forgive yourself for lapses so you can get back to business, instead of flogging yourself and decimating your motivation further. Whenever I lapse, be it with training or weight loss issues, I tell myself "Well, THAT happened..." and just get back to work.

As someone who will NEVER be under 150 (and I'm only 5'7"!) and a doc, I'm much more impressed w/ those of us who don't let our weight be an excuse not to be healthy or active...And that's physically even better than some skinny thing who's sedentary!

Jayne, I so agree---it's important to facilitate our participation, rather than making us feel excluded or less than worth the others. (Though I wouldn't advocate pushing for availability of bigger sizes for the population in general---our nation's fat enough already!)

Being able to do triathlons makes the number on the scale worth less!

To all of us fat triathletes....You rock!

Edited by jchughes66 2007-10-24 10:47 PM

2007-10-24 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1023471

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

beagl - 2007-10-24 10:22 PM I really like a thought I read here that every time you cross the finish line you are faster than the 400 people at the end who are spectating, and 200 or so people along the race route who never got up the nerve to do what you are doing. I apply that to whatever I'm doing, on a daily basis if need be, when I'm feeling slow and fat. I'm racing on the ice next week for the first time in over a year and I'm fighting the thought that I shouldn't even be on the ice. I mean, I'm going to be going round and round and round the rink in a skin tight suit with hundreds of people watching flabby self. I'm going to be repeating in my mind that I'm the one out here doing this not in the stands wishing I could and, I'm having fun regardless of how fast I'm going. Jayne is right, sometimes it isn't about being faster, you CAN enjoy the sport at your current level of fitness, and really, people would be alot happier if they realized this.

What did someone tell me once? The fashion show ends when the gun goes off?! "...with hundreds of people watching my flabby self."--- Yeah, they're WISHING they had the physical and mental strength to be out there doing it themselves! It's inspring to see!

J

2007-10-25 2:48 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Unfortunately, as a Soldier, fat does matter for me.  I'm sweating a PT test because I am WAAAY over the weight for my height.  A 36-year-old, 73 in. tall man is supposed to weigh no more the 205; I'm 240ish.  I'll get "taped" and pass so it's not too much of an issue.  If I don't I get "flagged" because I'm overweight.

What I always enjoy is that, as an "overweight" Soldier, I'll run in the top-10 for our 2 mile event.  I have never been over 14:00 for two miles; usually I'm closer to 13:00.  I can run farther and faster than a lot of the young 20 y/o's who smoke a pack a day.  Yet, because they meet a certain criteria on a scale, I'm the one who's unhealthy, even tho I am running 15-20 miles and swimming 3000-4000m a week.  Freakin' unbelievable.

Sorry, just needed to rant a bit.

2007-10-25 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1023570

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Hawkeye - 2007-10-25 3:48 AM

Unfortunately, as a Soldier, fat does matter for me.  I'm sweating a PT test because I am WAAAY over the weight for my height.  A 36-year-old, 73 in. tall man is supposed to weigh no more the 205; I'm 240ish.  I'll get "taped" and pass so it's not too much of an issue.  If I don't I get "flagged" because I'm overweight.

What I always enjoy is that, as an "overweight" Soldier, I'll run in the top-10 for our 2 mile event.  I have never been over 14:00 for two miles; usually I'm closer to 13:00.  I can run farther and faster than a lot of the young 20 y/o's who smoke a pack a day.  Yet, because they meet a certain criteria on a scale, I'm the one who's unhealthy, even tho I am running 15-20 miles and swimming 3000-4000m a week.  Freakin' unbelievable.

Sounds brutal, Hawkeye Soldier.  Height/weight charts are crap for taller/bigger guys and gals like you.   I wonder if they'll ever use a body fat % estimate instead.  Would you say that you're in a healthy range for that?  

Scales are a flawed device for determining fitness.  Always have been, always will be. 

2007-10-25 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1023570

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun
Hawkeye - 2007-10-25 2:48 AM

Unfortunately, as a Soldier, fat does matter for me. I'm sweating a PT test because I am WAAAY over the weight for my height. A 36-year-old, 73 in. tall man is supposed to weigh no more the 205; I'm 240ish. I'll get "taped" and pass so it's not too much of an issue. If I don't I get "flagged" because I'm overweight.

What I always enjoy is that, as an "overweight" Soldier, I'll run in the top-10 for our 2 mile event. I have never been over 14:00 for two miles; usually I'm closer to 13:00. I can run farther and faster than a lot of the young 20 y/o's who smoke a pack a day. Yet, because they meet a certain criteria on a scale, I'm the one who's unhealthy, even tho I am running 15-20 miles and swimming 3000-4000m a week. Freakin' unbelievable.

YIKES.  Freakin' unbelievable is right. Gotta love systems that leave no room for common sense...

Crap! Are you really in IRAQ?  Be careful!!! (Duh...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat triathlete??? Rss Feed  

of 9