General Discussion Race Reports! » Buck Creek Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buck Creek Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFPRacing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 24s
Overall Rank = 141/256
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:45 AM, got up and headed down stairs to get dressed in my race gear. Grabbed a clif bar and a banana then pumped up my bike tires and grabbed my race gear headed out the door.

Rode out to the race site - about 7 miles. Got there and parked the bike while I got my race numbers and timing chip.

Got body marked and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Rode to race, ran a 1/2 mile to the bathrooms, then did a short swim.
Swim
  • 20m 15s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not my best swim. I felt pretty strong at first, but I think the hard swim I did Thursday worked against me. I don't know what is really going on, with all the swimming I have been doing I would expect my times to be much better. I have changed my stroke since Jan/Feb/Mar, I am not sure how, but I can tell my times even in the pool are not as good as they were back then.

I would have thought with the swimming that I would be much faster. I am planning on working with the local masters team over the winter to see if I can't do better.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster... oh yeah that is it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I didn't have any problem getting up to speed. Felt pretty good in the transiion. Only 3 people in my AG beat me, and none of those by that much. Although 15 seconds in transition is a huge amount. Fastest guy in my AG did it in 1:16. Fastest over all looked to be 40 seconds, that is flying.

Nothing here.
Bike
  • 43m 41s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I did great here, well pretty well. I started out trying to keep my HR down some. Headed out and made the first turn. As I was headed along one of the roads we had some old lady who could NOT figure out how to pass the line of bikers in front of her car. We headed down the road and she just kept following them. I think she was puttering along for 1-2 miles. I tried to pass her on the right but could not, then she finally edged over enough that I could. I don't know how much time I lost there, I was able to peddle just not as hard as I wanted to.

Once I got by this gal, she was able to swing around and head on down the road. The area that was the problem was rolling hills, and she could not see over the hills and didn't want to pass in her big old caddy or lincoln. Then she got to a flatter area and could pass the riders because she could see.

Once I got off that road, the rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. A couple of minor climbs, nothing too hard. Per my Garmin 400 feet total climbing. Worst part was the 100 climb on the 1/3 mile at mile 4-5. The only "good" downhill was bad because it had a hard left turn half way through the drop.

Not long after the down hill there were 2 climbs, neither one very bad, but they come at a point when you have been pushing a while and you are getting tired.

I felt like I finished pretty strong and can't complain a whole lot.

Ride more prior to August. I feel like my biking has been way way down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Pretty smooth transition, nothing really to talk about.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 30m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

What went wrong? I don't know. I think I should have been much faster on this. I can run a straight 26-26:30 5K, so running this sub 30 should have happened.

I didn't think it was that hot, and I did take 4 minutes off last years time for this course, but I felt like I should have done much better.

The hills in mile 2 and 3 are killers in some ways. Again they are not that big, but they hit at times where you just don't want to see them.

More hill work, more running in the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around got a little food then ran home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, and still carring about 15 extra pounds.

Event comments:

Just another HFP race, lots of fast people. Race #5 of their series

Last updated: 2007-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:15 | 820 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 144/256
Performance:
Big rectangle, along the beach then back. Max HR 136 Avg - 122
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:41 | 14 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 99/256
Performance: Good
Avg HR 124 Max 131
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Big loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:27 | 03.11 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 197/256
Performance: Below average
Race 3.2 miles in 30:32 Mile 1 - 9:15 Avg HR - 121 Mile 2 - 9:29 Avg HR - 123 Mile 3 - 10:17 Avg HR - 125 .2 mile - 1:31 Avg HR - 129
Course: This course starts out with a nice flat area then a good downhill. You mainly go down out then have to climb back up.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-31 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: Buck Creek Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-08-31 2:27 PM
in reply to: #948894

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio
Subject: RE: Buck Creek Triathlon - Sprint Distance

I think you did well. And it is a rolly course. How did it feel to run home after the race? I can't imagine being able to do that. I usually just want a nap after I race.  Bike to, run home. What a triathete you are. Are you going to do Toyota Challenge???

2007-09-01 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Nice job on the race!  Sorry we didn't meet up - I'm sure we will at another HFP race one day!  That was a pain about that car for you.  I didn't have any issues, but at the turn at the end of the 1st long straight section (northeast corner of the bike route), the deputy had a car stopped right in the line for the turn, so a few of us had to cut inside the last cone.  I think the driver wanted to go on, and he was forcing her to stop.

I really liked that park, do you do much swim training there?  Looks like a fun lake to hang out at.

2007-09-01 5:34 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
You've got to be kidding me -- you RAN HOME?!?!?!?

Seriously?

Crap, we should really have a BT meet up area. That way I could have crashed on your couch overnight. Yeah, that's the ticket!
2007-09-01 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Nice race.  You've been racing alot  this summer.  The bike to and run from the race was just awesome.  What a great idea!  I think the heat slows most of us down more than we think.   I've said this before, but you are going to have such a great base going into winter. 

2007-09-02 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Nice race dude!  Congrats on knocking 4 minutes off your time from last year.

2007-09-03 9:08 AM

User image

Liberty Township, Ohio
Nice race! Did you feel like the swim distance may have been a bit long? I felt strong on the swim and was suprised when I saw my slow time. Nice job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buck Creek Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed