General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Usage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-31 9:49 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Wetsuit Usage
I am doing my first tri in a few weeks. It is the Nations oly in Washington DC. The swim is in the Potomac and they recommend a wetsuit. I currently have a surfing wetsuit. My question is: since this suit was not necessarily designed for swimming, but instead surfing is the material (weight and drag) going to slow me down a lot over a tri wetsuit, or is it minimal? I have done some swims with it, but am wondering if it the right suit to use for now, or if I should think about another one.

2007-08-31 10:29 PM
in reply to: #949399

Regular
The OC
Subject: RE: Wetsuit Usage
Congratulations on doing the Oly and welcome.

I wonder the same thing. I find it hard to spend the money when I own several perfectly good surf suits. I did try my 4/3 full the other day and it was my fastest time so far on swimming 1/2 mile. I wonder about the short john for triathletes.
2007-09-01 7:25 AM
in reply to: #949399

Subject: RE: Wetsuit Usage
slake707 - 2007-08-31 10:49 PM

I am doing my first tri in a few weeks. It is the Nations oly in Washington DC. The swim is in the Potomac and they recommend a wetsuit. I currently have a surfing wetsuit. My question is: since this suit was not necessarily designed for swimming, but instead surfing is the material (weight and drag) going to slow me down a lot over a tri wetsuit, or is it minimal? I have done some swims with it, but am wondering if it the right suit to use for now, or if I should think about another one.

First of all, you're a brave man for swimming in the Potomac! Hope you don't grow a third arm Seriously, the river is filthy.

Secondly, yes, the surfing wetsuit is NOT the same as a triathlon wetsuit. Rent a triathlon specific wetsuit (you can rent one from Bonzai Sports in Falls Church) - and honestly, I would wear one for safety reasons. I'm surprised that they're allowing swimming in the Potomac at all because I've heard that it has a pretty strong undertow (probably why they're recommending a wetsuit).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Usage Rss Feed