United States
Final Stretch
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 19s
Overall Rank = 171/474
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/50
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00 and ate a english muffin with peanut butter, a banana, milk, 1 bottle of water, and a 20 oz. Diet Coke. Left the house at 5:35. Arrived at 6:22 a.m. I was able to park very close to the park.
Event warmup:

Found a place for the bike right outside of the pavillion area and waited for my brother to arrive. He didn't show up until 6:45. Walked around to look at bike in/out area and run in/out. Put on wetsuit and swam just a bit. Didn't bike at all.
Swim
  • 11m 3s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The race went off with just 6 waves. I was in the 5th wave (women 30-38). There were just too many people. I haven't been swimming but once since the end of June so that didn't help any. I was hit from behind, along side, and in front of me. I drank enough water that I probably didn't need a water bottle during the bike. One lady even turned her head and said she was sorry for hitting me so hard (even needed to realign the goggles as they were almost kicked off). I couldn't even seem to swim straight. I drifted to the left while the buoys were on my right. I just need to swim more but heard other complaints about too many in each wave.
What would you do differently?:

swim, swim, swim more
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

This was my first race with my new road bike so I was a little nervous about mounting and the clipping in. I just took my time and it went well. I was a bit slow in getting off the wetsuit.

Practice taking off the wetsuit but that will come with more OWS next year.
Bike
  • 35m 15s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really good on the bike. I was a little nervous and apprehensive as I went down the big hill. I topped out at 36 MPH and then decided to ride my brakes a bit. Shortly after that there was a guy who was on the side of the road with scrapes and blood from his head to leg. The ambulance arrived just as I was passing by.

Be a bit more aggresive.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Felt pretty good at this time. Still felt pretty strong and was ready to run.

nothing
Run
  • 31m 29s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I was doing pretty well. I was able to pass many people who were in wave 5 with me or in earlier waves. When I got my time though I was a bit disappointed. I should have pushed just a bit harder.

Push a little harder from the beginning
Post race
Warm down:

My brother finished before me by about 7 minutes. He was waiting with his wife and daughter. Drank a couple of glasses of water and felt really good. Just walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swimming really hurt me and made me feel frustrated with myself. I just can't let that part of my workout slide. My own fault.

Event comments:

It was a beautiful course and the day could not have been more perfect. I would certainly do this race again.

Last updated: 2007-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:03 | 586 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/50
Overall: 207/474
Performance: Bad
Suit: sleeveless wet suit
Course: Out of water start with more than 100 swimmers in my wave.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:15 | 10 miles | 17.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/50
Overall: 226/474
Wind: Little
Course: The course was short but several hills-one especially long and steep one. Several people walked their bikes (maybe 7-8 that I saw) but I was able to make it up with a bit of huffing and puffing. It was quite scenic and enjoyable
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:29 | 04 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/50
Overall: 127/474
Course: The course had some rolling hills but was scenic. There was water just about 1.5 miles in but I passed on it. I just can't seem to drink and run at the same time. Wasn't so hot that I needed to pour it on me.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-01 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: St Croix Valley Triathlon

2007-09-01 7:39 PM
in reply to: #949820

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: St Croix Valley Triathlon
Great job out there today.  I'm glad you felt good enough to do the race.  My brother did Treadman duathlon and was really sick this morning but felt great once he was done.  Way to get the big hill done.
2007-09-04 12:04 PM
in reply to: #949903

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
You had a great race!  Once you are more used to those crummy wave starts in the water, you will be unstoppable.  Good job.
2007-09-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #949820

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Becki...AWESOME race!  Sorry to hear about the swim.  I have yet to have that happen to me...well, maybe it'll happen this weekend...maybe I shouldn't jinx myself by talking about it...

Sounds like the new bike worked out for you...36 mph...aren't hills fun?

That was a GREAT run!  Haven't seemed to be able to stay consistently below 8s on my tris this year.

What a great year for you.  You cheering on bro at Square Lake this weekend?  If so, I'll see you there...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St Croix Valley Triathlon Rss Feed