Skaneateles Labor Day Race Weekend
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 22s
Overall Rank = 288/375
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 30/32
Pre-race routine:

Awake 3 hours before race, English muffin w/Jam, 2 bananas and 32 ounces of gatorade/water mix 2/5 hours before race start.
Event warmup:

almost nothing. We arrived a little late and transition area was quite cramped. By the time we got our stuff organized it was National Anthem time.
Swim
  • 18m 57s
  • 732 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Personal Best time at this distance so I'm happy. I definitely went all out because I was very winded at T1. I meant to stay to te outside but I followed some swimmers as they tracked closer to the buoys so I hugged the buoys after the first 200m or so.
What would you do differently?:

I will line up in the middle or closer to the buoys next time, I may as well because I ended up there anyway. I just need to keep working on my swim fitness level so I don't have to take any more breaststroke breathers.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I was dizzy from the swim so I had to sit to take off my wetsuit which I did not expect, but I fought through it and got my shoes on quick. Helmet and sunglasses were placed well so they went on easy. Unracking te bike was fine. Running with the bike was a bear becuase we had racked our bikes fairly far from the exit. Took in some words of encouragement from my Manager at T1 exit as he was a volunteer for the race.

Plan on being light-headed after swim , I will immediately sit down and take of the suit instead of fighting it while standing and leaning over.
Bike
  • 53m 41s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I came out of T1 extremely winded. My legs took a lot of time to adjust but not before the first major hill at the golf course which really sapped me. I caught my breath somewhere on O'Neil Rd. but by ten I had lost a lot of time going slower than normal. I handled the Baptist Corner Hill better than expected. I did about average on Benson Rd hill. Grabbed a Gel on Giles Rd. which may have been a bit too late to be effective on the run course.

Grab the gel pack earlier in the bike. Also I need to start experimenting with standing on the hills or else I'll be stuck in low gear on them. Overall bike fitness improvements need to be made.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I need to learn to run with my bike better.

Not too much just practice rinning with my bike, with bike shoes on.
Run
  • 30m 42s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

By this time my strength was sapped so I felt like I was running at 12:00 /mile pace. Struggled the first mile, and as I made my way up the golf course hill the temptation was there to stop and walk for a minute but I fought it off. After the Prentiss Road stretch I got stronger, maybe the gel pack kicked in. As I turned on to Genesee St. towards the finish I gradually Dropped the Hammer, leading up to a full out sprint after crossing the curb on to the grass. My finish speed was very strong.

Not too much. I was very happy with this time given my level of fatigue at this point in the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Look for my family and friend Brian at the finish line and give hugs and handshakes around! Drank a bottled water and just took in all the sights and sounds for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming at full tilt sappped my stength and hurt my bike time. Otherwise my preparation and race plan were solid.

Event comments:

I broke 1:50 which was my goal time by about 2 1/2 minutes which is awesome. The time I gained in the water though ended up costing me on the bike, but I was really happy I didn't have any problems with open water swimming for the first time. I was happy with my run time, beating my average pace from runs I made on training days even a month ago, and those were on days that didn't include bike and swim. Overall I'm really happy with my performance, just ned to keep the momentum going!!!!!

Last updated: 2007-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:57 | 732 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 27/32
Overall: 238/375
Performance: Good
168 Average
Suit: Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:41 | 14 miles | 15.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/32
Overall: 288/375
Performance: Average
168 Average
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly with lots of shifting required. 3 major hills and some rollers throughout.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:42 | 03 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/32
Overall: 330/375
Performance: Good
168 Average
Course: Some rolling hills with one larger hill at mile 1.0. THe rest of the course is mostly flat and scenic.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1.7
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-02 3:18 PM

User image

New user

Liverpool (Syracuse), New York
Subject: Skinnyman Triathlon

2007-09-02 8:03 PM
in reply to: #950279

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Skinnyman Triathlon
Hey I know that guy! Great race man. Not bad at all for your first triathlon.
Keep up the great work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skinnyman Triathlon Rss Feed