Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-09-17 9:44 AM
in reply to: #950311

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: RE: Duke Liver Center Half

Well as far as I am concerned, you all kicked (my) .  I thought it was a great race,  but a bit too challenging of a course for me to do a good time.

Everyone I saw out there, Homewiz, Nuthouse and Spot picked me up to go on.  You all were great.

And I am in pain from the waist down today.

2007-09-17 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Learned a lot yesterday. For my first half, really happy with my time. Know that the next time I do a half and in particular this race, will do it much better. Kudos to the finishers and all those pickme ups along the way.
2007-09-17 6:18 PM
in reply to: #966983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

D001 - 2007-09-16 9:09 PM 

a) the speed of everyone,

b) the expensive bikes,

c) the absolute lack of body fat on all the competitors.

Dee,

I can't speak for the expensive bikes, but if you thought there was a lack of body fat and slow moving people, then you must have left before you saw me go by.

Good luck with your training.

2007-09-17 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
So I'm going through the posted results and I notice that there was a 4 minute penalty given to bib# 257 for indecent exposure.  I did some searching and found that bib# 257 is in the male 40-44 age group. NO, don't want to see the video but would darn sure like to hear the story behind that penalty.
2007-09-18 7:26 AM
in reply to: #968604

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC

My first thought on the indecent exposure was that he changed in transition, but if he did that was a quick change given his T1 & T2 times.  He could have been relieving himself in an in appropriate place or something, maybe. 

But how about all those penalties?  I count 3 DQs.  Two of those were for three counts of position violations and one was for unsportsmanlike conduct (and since that's a discretionary penalty, the offender must have been quite unsportsmanlike).  Lots of unauthorized accessories which typically means an ipod (yay!) and even an abandoned equipment penalty which usually means littering.  I wish they'd hand those out more often.  It really ticks me off to see people throw gel packets on the ground.  What, you can't carry that to the next aid station which is almost always less than a mile away?  But mostly they were hardcore about busting drafting.  I count 16 people busted for drafting which were, for some reason, seperately identified from other position violations.  This course seems hilly enough not to be a draft-fest.  How was it out there?

2007-09-18 8:05 AM
in reply to: #968824

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
tzmitch - 2007-09-18 8:26 AM

My first thought on the indecent exposure was that he changed in transition, but if he did that was a quick change given his T1 & T2 times.  He could have been relieving himself in an in appropriate place or something, maybe. 

But how about all those penalties?  I count 3 DQs.  Two of those were for three counts of position violations and one was for unsportsmanlike conduct (and since that's a discretionary penalty, the offender must have been quite unsportsmanlike).  Lots of unauthorized accessories which typically means an ipod (yay!) and even an abandoned equipment penalty which usually means littering.  I wish they'd hand those out more often.  It really ticks me off to see people throw gel packets on the ground.  What, you can't carry that to the next aid station which is almost always less than a mile away?  But mostly they were hardcore about busting drafting.  I count 16 people busted for drafting which were, for some reason, seperately identified from other position violations.  This course seems hilly enough not to be a draft-fest.  How was it out there?

I saw a ton of riding left of center on Highway 42 on the big hill.  When the official rode by on the motorcycle, she had her pen and pad out and was writing.  There were lots of packs of riders coming down and up that hill, lots closer than 3 lengths.

Also glad they're nailing ipods. 

2007-09-18 8:14 AM
in reply to: #968866

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC
fgump - 2007-09-18 9:05 AM

I saw a ton of riding left of center on Highway 42 on the big hill.

Like "left of center" meaning on the left hand side of the right lane, or actually crossing the centerline and being in the left hand lane? 

2007-09-18 9:19 AM
in reply to: #968880

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
tzmitch - 2007-09-18 9:14 AM
fgump - 2007-09-18 9:05 AM

I saw a ton of riding left of center on Highway 42 on the big hill.

Like "left of center" meaning on the left hand side of the right lane, or actually crossing the centerline and being in the left hand lane? 

across the yellow line.  Not so many blocking, but a considerable amount of position (left side of lane) and overtaken situations.
2007-09-18 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC

there were clumps of riders, but not all were racing. some were out there riding on their own.  I passed one girl just after you take a left at the country store (around 25 miles) and she was racing.  Looked back a little later she was still back aways, but someone was riding beside her talking.  It looked like someone else I had passed earlier that didn't have a chip or body marking.  I wondered if it was a friend of hers.  She wasn't drafting off of him, but he was keeping pace with her.

Other times people came roaring by and they did not appear to be racing (no visible chips or body markings)  I would imagine that someone might have caught on to them from time to time.

Now there was one occasion where cars traveling on the highway were backing up and they couldn't (wouldn't) go around, but the bikes couldn't get around them either and people bunched up.  I would hope that no one got a drafting penalty in that situation because there was really no way to remedy the situation.

2007-09-18 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
The hills were iffy on the drafting.  Just as we were beginning the climb on the big hill on 42, somebody went by me and damn near hit the brakes. I had a choice of loosing my momentum or invade the 3 bike length zone, knowing that I had not intentions of passing.  I kept my momentum and slowly backed off as we neared the top of the hill. Other than the hills the drafting was less prevelant than most olympic or sprint distant races I have been in. The number of penalties may have something to do with it being a qualifying event for the USAT.
2007-09-18 9:37 AM
in reply to: #969006

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC

fgump - 2007-09-18 10:19 AM across the yellow line. Not so many blocking, but a considerable amount of position (left side of lane) and overtaken situations.

In addition to being stupid and dangerous, that should be an instant DQ.   

WLH was a qualifier too.  Looking back and that race was stacked with penalties as well, though no DQs. Lotsa drafting, no surprise.

Cars on the course can really be a problem.  The effect just cascades.  Both years at MAP I've passed vehicles on the right which is probably one of the less intelligent things I've done.  

So did anyone here get popped and care to share?

2007-09-18 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

No penalties here for me.  However, I did slow down a couple of times as I was approaching the passing zone if I didn't think that I could do a fast pass without killing myself.

I didn't see too much pile up on my section of the course.  Of course, with the late start and the slow times, there were fewer people out there.

My next door neighbor and her future sister-in-law both got tagged with unauthorized assistance.  I haven't had a chance to ask them what they did to earn that.

2007-09-18 5:37 PM
in reply to: #968438

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kapinto - 2007-09-17 7:18 PM

D001 - 2007-09-16 9:09 PM

a) the speed of everyone,

b) the expensive bikes,

c) the absolute lack of body fat on all the competitors.

Dee,

I can't speak for the expensive bikes, but if you thought there was a lack of body fat and slow moving people, then you must have left before you saw me go by.

Good luck with your training.

Well, one of the things that I learned is that this isn't a great "spectator sport." I missed the swim, which would have been the most spectator friendly. When I got there, there was NO one around - 'cause everyone had ridden down the road already.

So I hung out near the transition area and eventually got to see:
- Bikes come in.
- People put on running shoes.
- People jog out of the transition area.
And all of this took place in a minute or two.

Woo-hoo! Not as exciting as it appears on TV. LOL

So after awhile I wandered up the road a bit. And there, I got to see:
- Bikes come down the hill and make the right hand turn towards the transition area.
- Runners (going the opposite way) make a right hand turn and vanish into the park/woods.

Woo-hoo! As I said, not as exciting as it appears on TV.

And yes, I would have seen the leaders coming in from the bike ride -- and all of them had 0.1% body fat, rode expensive bikes, and were incredibly fast.

Oh yeah - and there was a kid playing the bagpipes.

But seriously, I am glad that I went. And hanging out by the transition area was actually a good place to be.

It'll be a long time before I can do a race like this -- if ever. (Maybe not ever - it was really, really long!) But I am going to keep training, and hopefully I'll be able to do a really short Sprint next spring. (The UNC one looks perfect, but that's not until August. So I'll probably aim to do one before that.)

Dee

Edited by D001 2007-09-18 6:01 PM
2007-09-18 5:59 PM
in reply to: #969016

User image

Champion
Taser-World
spot - 2007-09-18 10:24 AM

there were clumps of riders, but not all were racing. some were out there riding on their own.....

I saw this, too. There were people on bikes who didn't have numbers or markings. It was confusing to me, but I figured that was because I was a newbie....

At the turn-in returning to the park, one guy on a bike went straight (instead of making the turn) while a volunteer waved frantically to point out the turn. The person next to me said, "That guy went the wrong way!" But someone else commented that maybe he was just out for a morning ride.

Dee

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Duke Liver Center Half Rss Feed  

of 2