General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clydes/Athena's vs. Age Groups Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-09-02 9:36 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
Subject: Clydes/Athena's vs. Age Groups
I love being a Clydesdale; it has been the best division out in the circuit, along with our lovely Athena’s of course. However, something has been bothering me for quite sometime now and I want to see what everyone else thinks. There are those who are in our group, that when they compete in Tri seems to blow all of the rest of the “biggins” out of the water and off the course. They seem to always to place in the top three in the races. When you compare those times to their age group times they range in the top 10-15%. I have looked at several race results, and yes I did some research....

Why is that? Why do these Clydesdale not switch over to the age group division? Is a medal or recognition that important? I love being competitive but seeing times that are just as fast as the age groups seems a bit petty in my eyes.

Or maybe its just me......

2007-09-02 10:25 PM
in reply to: #950442

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: Clydes/Athena's vs. Age Groups
There are plenty of people who compete in the clyde/athena simply because they qualify and they want the medal.  They want to be able to have a chance to podium, not just be in the top 10-15%.  It's a common topic of convo...always leads to interesting discussion.  Shall I get the popcorn?
2007-09-02 10:52 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
yeah! I guess its kind of shallow to me. If you are able to run with the age groups than do it. It reminds me of high school kids always wanting to play the younger kids in football. Yeah, they know its way to easy, but at least they get a win without trying to hard. Come on kids lets play fair.

Love my popcorn with lots and lots of butter....
2007-09-03 9:16 AM

User image

Elite
The way you seem to be explaining is that Clydes and Athenas are set up as a group that is not as good as the rest of the pack.  I personally look at it as a division with people weighing over a certain amount.  I think this is where a lot of the arguments come in about this division.  I started out doing tri's at 265 and raced in a few races as a Clydesdale.  This year I mostly raced at 235 and never raced as a Clydesdale.  No reason other than I liked being ranked in my age group also.  The thing is, when I compared my rankings as a Clydesdale they were usually pretty close to where they would have been as an age grouper- about MOP.  I'll probably start racing as a Clyde more often next year because I know a few people that race in that group and can start the swim at the same time as them making it possible to compete more head to head.  I believe as long as you weigh in at the right weight or more you should be allowed to race at that level. 
2007-09-03 11:08 AM

New user
I don't get it. So you think the clydes division should be for just the heavy and slow?

I'm a bigger guy, I sign up clydes to compte against other bigger guys. Some of those dudes can move their big better than others. I think it rocks.
2007-09-03 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Yep, there are some fast clydes. That's the point of having a clyde division. The theory behind having a clyde division in the first place was that folks who were very fit and fast, but big, worked hard enough, trained well enough, and raced smart enough to place highly in AG would NEVER be able to podium because smaller folks were at a significant advantage due to having less mass to haul around......thus a weight-based division.

That said, I am willing to bet that the same dynamic you observe in your local clyde division (the same few people occupying the top slots) is repeated in the AG's as well, at least it is around here.

As it stands now, I qualify to race clyde. I have raced clyde in the past. I can often podium racing clyde, yet I seem to come in just shy of a podium when racing AG (4th or 5th). Maybe I want to snag a little hardware once in a while....is that wrong?

FWIW, I am racing tri as an AG'er this year. MTB as a clyde, Maybe next year I'll do something different.

2007-09-03 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH

To add in my .02.  The last race I did (a sprint 400/11/3.2) a clyde finished 16th overall 3 minutes off  the winner at the 1 hour mark.  He's probably around 6-2 220.  The reality is that if he does an event as a clyde he's going to end up on the podium which is his right.  My goal is to eventually get competitive with him although I'll be deep in the AG when that happens.  Clydes isn't for the out of shape it's simply for guys over 200lbs.   I would imagine that the Athena's have a bigger complaint because they are talking about 150 and under.  However it's a category and since most of us are simply trying to beat ourselves I don't think it matters all that much about the hardware. 

If hardware is the concern than I would start looking for local events with historically low clyde turnouts.  There was a 5K here with none, a 10K with 1 and a 5k with none.  I'm sure there are many events like that.  I did consider the 5k just for the hardware but I knew I was only kidding myself since second place in the division might be DFL.

For me I just want to be a MOP AG'er and beat myself all the time.  

2007-09-03 2:43 PM
in reply to: #950775

User image

Pro
Without house
Christris - 2007-09-03 2:23 PM

Clydes isn't for the out of shape it's simply for guys over 200lbs.

I think my previous post was a bit misleading as to my opinion on the matter (I was trying to be non-commital, just funny).

I think you summed it up the most concisely, Chris.  It's a weight category, not a fitness category.  The tall, low body fat athlete that weighs 220 is the reason the category was created.  When people get irritated with that person, it's like turning your nose up at the creator of something you love.

I guess the question is, are you just upset that you don't have a chance to medal, or are you going to use that person that is in the top 10-15% AG as motivation to train harder/smarter?

2007-09-03 6:51 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I thought the whole point to having a Clyde/Athena category was so that the fast people who are taller and heavier could podium.  If someone qualifies as an Athena or Clydesdale, they should be allowed to race.  If they're fast, that's just motivation to get faster.
2007-09-03 6:55 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
lets face it I do not want to win because because I am overweight. Yes maybe a 325 guy who runs a 50k deserves a special award but I do think I should be given an award jus because I am big.

I do think Cylesdale helps to motitavate me to lose weight and get strong. I know for a long time I was working on winning the 250+ division and I found out that its mostly the same 3 people who win but it does not mean I can no improve myself to get there.

Isn't the whole point of racing to have a happier and healthy community. Frankly if it means shedding unneeded weight to get tthere and strengthen one self that is a good thing.

Lets face it the more people who have a chance at winning the more likely someone will run the race.
2007-09-03 8:21 PM
in reply to: #950789

User image

Champion
Butler

I think you summed it up the most concisely, Chris.  It's a weight category, not a fitness category.  The tall, low body fat athlete that weighs 220 is the reason the category was created.  When people get irritated with that person, it's like turning your nose up at the creator of something you love

I could not agree more.  I am 6'7" 205-210.  Can swim sub 2:00/100 mtrs, run a 22min 5K and bike over 20mph.  Why should I not race clydesdale.  IMO I am the reason the category was created.  My understanding it was actually created for the bodybuilder types when tri's first started.  Unfortunately when all this mayham started the average person who weighs more did not compete. 

I guess I get tired of hearing that I should not race clyde because I am fast.  For those who think that people built like me should not race clyde give a guideline you feel should be used to race clyde??  I am just saying I am over 200lbs and that is the only rule so why not.  I have just as much chance to place in my AG as in clyde.  I don't do it for the medals, heck, I have not even place in a tri yet but have in run races.

I am really just curious why everyone gets upset.

2007-09-03 9:23 PM

User image

Regular

I am 6'5" and 208lbs and I race clydesdales for the same reason as the OP, for the hardware.  Otherwise, why would he care who is in his division?  There would only be 1 logical reason that you would want the faster 200lb plus guys out of your division, so you can get a plaque. 

Everyone has pretty much said it, its a weight division, not a body fat division.  I am carrying the same weight as everyone else in my division. 

Unless you propose the race directors start a no-training division?

2007-09-03 10:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Who cares whether you're a tall, fit person who happens to fit the weight category or a smaller, rounder person w/ extra pounds to lose?  You're both pulling the same extra weight (compared to the whippets), which is what really makes it harder.  Your chances of being on the podium have less to do w/ it than giving credit for the extra weight handicap.

I race Athena (being one of the shorter, rounder people), but my competition is w/ myself and the clock.

If you're fast even in this category, way to go!

2007-09-04 12:57 AM

User image

Elite
Reno

mm5093 - 2007-09-02 9:36 PM Why do these Clydesdale not switch over to the age group division? Is a medal or recognition that important? I love being competitive but seeing times that are just as fast as the age groups seems a bit petty in my eyes. Or maybe its just me......

when I see the winning Athenas, I am just inspired.   

Athena is the goddess of kickazz.   Not the goddess of big panzz.  

(sorry, but I was going for a rhyme and that is all I came up with....)

2007-09-04 5:46 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

I guess what I see is that ALL the divisions are arbitrary.  Why have age groups at all?   Why discriminate between men and women?  Why have weight divisions (i.e. Clydes and Athenas)?  If we wanted to be really cut-throat, we could just have one prize for the first one to cross the line. Period. Second place is the first loser and all that other T-shirt crap. 

But that's not how it is.  Basically, we allow athletes to define themselves.  As a male who is  6'2", 210# and able to swim like a fish, ride like a beast and run like the wind, for example, how would you like to be described?  Do you consider yourself the 20th best athlete overall or would you rather see yourself as the 5th best 20-29 y/o or would you rather see yourself as the fastest "fatman" in the field?  It's all in how YOU choose to view yourself.

As was discussed in a previous thread, some of us are going to be Clydes/ Athenas for most, if not all of our careers.  Others of us are "just passing through" as we try to get from one weight to another.  All of are going to move from the 20's to the 30's to the 40's and so on as the Earth continues to circle the sun.  Our classifications are going to change and, as they do, our perceptions of ourselves are going to change.  The bigger question is: Can I see myself outside of these classifications and be happy with the person that I am becoming?

2007-09-04 8:32 AM
in reply to: #951151

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I do not think its arbitrary at all.

Well I guess you can make the point that it is all arbitrary because why just have a race where medicore (compared to the ultra elite) win the race. It does not really do a good job at representing who is the best out there. I know a girl who won female overall in a marathon with a time of 3:17. I mean that is sad when deana KAstor would get probably 2:30 on that course.

You could say that a cat 2,3,4,5 cycling is arbitrary also. They are not the best so does not mater.

I think it maters because we should always push ourselves to be better. Runners here will take 3rd place in a/g over 1st place in weight and that did happen with the 225+ weight division and the 30 - 34 year old a/g.

If people here go out and train themselves to be faster and not just to finish I think it matters. If if helps get people off the couch it matters. If it means a good race is successful and gets the people it needs to continue it matters.

I am getting to the point where finishing a oly triathlon, half marathon, and heck even a marathon really is not a challege and something I do not have to really work at to do. Finish top 3 of 250+ at the Chicago Triathlon. Now that is a challege.

2007-09-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: #951051

User image

Champion
Butler
DW67 - 2007-09-03 9:23 PM

I am 6'5" and 208lbs and I race clydesdales for the same reason as the OP, for the hardware.  Otherwise, why would he care who is in his division?  There would only be 1 logical reason that you would want the faster 200lb plus guys out of your division, so you can get a plaque. 

Everyone has pretty much said it, its a weight division, not a body fat division.  I am carrying the same weight as everyone else in my division. 

Unless you propose the race directors start a no-training division?

I totally agree, for people who think that fitter clydes should race AG what should the guideline be to not clyde??
2007-09-04 11:07 AM
in reply to: #951131

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
bootygirl - 2007-09-04 1:57 AM

mm5093 - 2007-09-02 9:36 PM Why do these Clydesdale not switch over to the age group division? Is a medal or recognition that important? I love being competitive but seeing times that are just as fast as the age groups seems a bit petty in my eyes. Or maybe its just me......

when I see the winning Athenas, I am just inspired.   

Athena is the goddess of kickazz.   Not the goddess of big panzz.  

(sorry, but I was going for a rhyme and that is all I came up with....)

I like the rhyme just fine. 
And yeah, when I'm not finishing with the top Athenas I am always inspired and motivated when I see the women who are the top that day.   They are the picture of speed for that day on that course.  They are my competition for next year.  I do like the hardware.  If I'm not on that podium with them, then I'm not doing something right.  They inspire me to be my best.

2007-09-04 1:01 PM
in reply to: #951469

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Similar to the other posts, if you qualify for Clydes, go for it. I race clydes whenever it's available because that is what I have always done and I qualify for that division. I am the same type of clyde I hear a little bit of resentment for - I'm 6'8" and pretty quick for my size/weight but I still weigh 230 and have to move that around an entire olympic course.

However, I'm still a MOP'er but get inspired by other big guys that can move faster than me. It gives me something to shoot for.

With regards to podium spots or hardware - it's always in the back of my head, but not the reason to race or sign up for Clyde - but it may give me a better chance (most likely).

But, I have found that getting a podium spot is a crap-shoot no matter what you sign up for. It just depends on who shows up. I have been in races that I was MOP in my AG but would have gotten a podium spot in many of the YOUNGER AG's. I have won clydes on occasion but couldn't come close to an AG podium spot. I have raced oly's to be MOP but would have crushed the competition if I had done a sprint that day.

I just figure go as fast as my big azz can go and see what happens..... Maybe my decision would be harder if I was 202lbs and won clydes every time I went out - but that's a personal decision. If someone like that beats me - good for them. I will just have to work harder for the next race.
2007-09-04 1:24 PM

New user

(Podium.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Podium.JPG (38KB - 42 downloads)
2007-09-04 8:12 PM
in reply to: #951648

New user
tiggtaff - 2007-09-04 1:24 PM

Did you make that up or did you see it somewhere? That was so funny and really broke up the seriousness of the thread. I just love doing tris, and to say that I got 3rd (out of 4) in Athena is not really much better than saying I was MOP or even last third of the pack in my AG, but mentally it does give you a boost for it to happen once in a while.

2007-09-04 11:04 PM
in reply to: #951648

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

Thanks for the levity!

Regarding cutnsew's message...If ya want a laugh, get this---I got a 1st place award in Athena (out of ONE in the category!).   Would LOVE to have more in the category, even if that means I'm last!

2007-09-04 11:45 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
so, is that #1 spot sturdy enough?
2007-09-05 7:30 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well the more awards they have I think the more they will bring. my race this weekend for just 1 division which is 225+ they will have about 15 - 20 people in it. I think I will always race it not only because I will always be a cylesdale but also because the more of us who race it the more they will have it. More they have it I think the more likely people like us will come out which is always good.

My dad loves triathlons because he thinks its alot healthier and easier on my body to do a HIM than it is to do a marathon.
2007-09-07 10:00 AM
in reply to: #950991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
kproudfoot - 2007-09-03 9:21 PM
  • ....  I am 6'7" 205-210.  Can swim sub 2:00/100 mtrs, run a 22min 5K and bike over 20mph.  Why should I not race clydesdale.  ....

• Damn I hope you don't show up at any of my races

But seriously, I think anyone, that qualifies for the division, should race it, if they want to.

I doubt that I'll ever get below 200. While not as tall as some (6' 2") I was 197 at the age of 20 just out of army basic training. Whats the chances now, 20 years later, that I'll get close that that again?

But, I can get faster than I am now! My mins/mile has gone from just south of 12mins/mile to around 9:30. My bike average is climbing as well as my swim. So my goal is to go around 1:15 ~ 1:25(depending on the course) for a sprint. And that time, should put me on the podium.

On a related note... In my first tri a few weeks ago. I was 7 out of 14 in the Cyldes div. If I had raced AG, I would have placed 10 out of 16. Not that much of a difference.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clydes/Athena's vs. Age Groups Rss Feed  

of 3