Final Stretch
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/37
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my mom's since it was about a half hour closer, which was really nice. Had my usual coffee and banana. Tried to have PB sandwich, but couldn't get it down. I arrived at the race site right when they opened and got a nice end spot, checked-in and then laid out my stuff. It was very very nice not to be rushed. Found my friends and chatted a bit, used the bathroom, etc.
Event warmup:

Got on my bike for a few minutes just to lower the gears, knowing there was a hill pretty much right at the start. Got into the water to get wet, but then the first group was ready to go off so we were shooed out of the water.
Swim
  • 15m 2s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Tried to stay back and stay calm as we ran in from the beach, but within about 30 seconds I couldn't catch my breath and was hyperventilating and swallowing water. I proceeded this way, on my back or side, until THANKFULLY I found a place I could stand! I composed myself and literally caught my breath. This was near the turn around. Then I went ahead and although I had to breath nearly every other stroke, I actually crawled my way to the finish. I bet I did the second half in half the time of the first. This is exactly what happened at my other tri, so it's definitely a psychological issue.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out how to relax right away. I might try to stay on the inside next time, because I get freaked out when splashed in the face.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

I didn't rush too much because I wanted to get my breathing under control after a run up the beach to T area.

Not much, pretty happy with this.
Bike
  • 37m 4s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I had to get off and walk, I'm ashamed to say. I wasn't going to do it and had thought a lot about it before the race, knowing it would be steep. But I was turning about 5.5 mph on my lowest gear and my legs were hurting and it was hard to breathe. I didn't want to wreck myself for the run, so I got off. After cresting the biggest part of the hill then I was fine. This is a tough course and despite my lower average speed, I kicked some major butt over the other ladies which helped out my time quite a bit in the end.

More hill practice wouldn't have hurt. I should have taken a test run of the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Pretty good. I was tired and frankly this is a bit of a blur. I should have had a Gu, since I didn't take it on the bike as planned. I still had a lot of race ahead of me.
Run
  • 42m 1s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I suck at running in a stupid triathlon! I get it now. I need to work on that, and I am pretty sure it's nutrition related. I can run better than this, but I totally fold when it comes to the end of the race. I just want it to be over. I allowed myself to walk a few times, but I should have pushed a better pace overall. This was one long run and my stomach was sloshing again. What is that about? I didn't drink hardly anything on the bike and maybe a half bottle throughout the run (and a tiny cup of electrolyte drink). I was sweating big time, so why the slosh? I had a little bit better attitude than last time, although I was VERY glad to be done.

Get some nutrition at the end of bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little bit and stretched. Talked to my husband and mom, who stuck it out the whole morning. Packed up and headed out for breakfast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training I'm sure. Still working out logistics of nutrition.

Event comments:

I thought it was all well done. It was a good challenge for me, definitely not too easy. Everything went smoothly and it was a beautiful day to be out. Note for next year: There are few rules. Any kind of flotation device was okay, earphones with music not banned, etc.

Last updated: 2007-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:02 | 586 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/37
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Qroo Ultrajohn
Course: Straight out and back in the St. Croix River. Pretty shallow, could stand in parts.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:04 | 10 miles | 16.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/37
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 5 miles up, 5 miles down. The section around 3.5 to 4.5 was brutal, but wicked fun to come back down.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:01 | 04 miles | 10m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/37
Performance: Below average
Course: Some rolling terrain, out and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-03 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: St Croix Valley Triathlon

2007-09-03 2:48 PM
in reply to: #950677

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: St Croix Valley Triathlon
Way to go Emily.  The thing I like most about doing tri's is you get to learn something new everytime.  You persevered through a tough stretch in the swim and went on to have a good race.  I really think those 4 milers are tough to run.. With a 5k you can push pretty hard and the Olympic distance you know to take it easier.  But with a 5k you are kind of stuck in between.  Good job and get ready for Irongirl.
2007-09-03 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Congratulations on your performance. I think it was a great idea just to stop for a moment during the swim to regain your confidence. The sun did make it difficult to see during the 2nd half of the swim. You stayed strong during the entire race. You should be very proud of yourself. Don't you just love when you parents can come and so incredibly proud of you. Nothing like having your own cheering section. Good job! Best of all, it was the perfect day; sunny, just the right temperature, and a beautiful location for a tri!
2007-09-04 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Nice job, Emily! I, too, had to walk that hill when I raced it in 2004. I'm sure there were many others who did the same on Saturday, too. Good job sticking it out!

About the stomach slosh--I get that alot and have learned that I need to drink very, very little on the bike in order to avoid it. Also, how bad the slosh is depends on how much lake water I swallow during the swim too. I haven't been able to master the balance between nutrition and the slosh either, though.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St Croix Valley Triathlon Rss Feed