General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM to HIM advice please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-04 6:03 AM

User image

Subject: IM to HIM advice please
Hi, a while since I've posted here. Did IM Austria 6 weeks ago and then last weekend did a very tough half (Lost Sheep, Kerry, Ireland). After that I realise the body needs a break.
No IM for me next year but I've entered a Half in Lisbon, Portugal next April.

Plan to just train away with no real structure up to 1st January and then basically go with an 18 week program to get me to race day.

My question is regarding the structure of my training plan. Most of the generic type plans are aimed toward increasing your endurance at the early stage (bridging from Oly disatnce to HIM). Should I go along with this or design my program around basically doing the distances from early in my program and just changing the intensity or should I just follow with the slow build up.

Hope this makes sense, I presume many of you have been here before so will know where I'm coming from.

Appreciate any advice.

Regards

Gerry

2007-09-05 10:37 AM
in reply to: #951156

User image

Subject: RE: IM to HIM advice please
and in the distance he heard a sound..............
2007-09-07 7:56 AM

User image

obviously it was the sound of tumbleweed blowing across the vast expanses f the beginner triathlete deesert
2007-09-07 9:44 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I think the structure of the training plan depends on what you do leading up to it.  if you keep up steady training, then there's no reason to do an 18 week plan.  You can build for the HIM with 8-12 weeks of HIM-specific work.  But if you let the consistency of your duration/mileage fall a lot during the off season, then you'll want a longer plan that helps you "rebuild" your base.

My own plan is to generally keep up consistent training in the off-season.  Probably a bit less biking (but more intensity) which will drop my overall time volume somewhat.  But adding some run frequency (and maintaining a solid long run in the neighborhood of 2:00) to work on this "limiter" for me.  While I could also improve my swimming quite a bit, this year I think I'll more likely just look to maintain which will allow me to drop one of my 3 swim sessions if I want to as well.  Though if I'm unfortunate enough to develop any running injuries, my fallback plan would be to swim a lot and get some coaching.

Hope that helps some.

From the BT desert,
John

2007-09-08 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I don't think you should follow a build up plan. You've been there. During the unstructured period, keep some long rides and runs in there so you don't lose the endurance side of it. Once you begin training in earnest, you should be able to get your form quickly and then I would focus on your weaknesses. Whether it be a specific sport like swimming, or something more specific like speed on the bike, I think you can make great strides by race day by hitting those hard. I hope this was the type of advice your were looking for. If not let me know and I will try again.

TJ
2007-09-10 2:33 AM

User image

Appreciate the advice guys, Thanks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM to HIM advice please Rss Feed