General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Delaware Diamondman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-04 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon
Just signed up for this race at the last minute. Who else is racing it?

I did this race back in '04 - the year the swim was cancelled due to a manure pond overflow upstream (yuck). they replaced it with a 5 mile run.

Hopefully it will not repeat this year!

Hope to see some other BTrs there.

2007-09-04 3:19 PM
in reply to: #951688

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
Subject: RE: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon

I'm in for it...for better or worse!  Hopefully the weather cooperates...I hear the run is a scorcher if it's hot out there.  Should be a fun time!

I rode the course a few weeks ago...flat, flat, flat!  (Sounds good to me

Good luck!

2007-09-04 6:20 PM

User image

Wilmington, Delaware
I'm in as well.  Hopefully, the weather cooperates.  Don't know what's worse:  rain or 90 plus degree weather...
2007-09-05 12:55 PM
in reply to: #952004

User image

Expert
MD
Current weekend forecast for Sunday...

Scattered T-Storms
High 81°F
Low 67°F
Precip: 40%

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/weekend/USDE0...
2007-09-07 12:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I'm in too. Pumped about this one. Hopefully the thunderstorms won't be an issue. Also noticed on the news tonight, the local weather guy said that a disturbance out near Bermuda could turn into a TS or weak hurricane, with models showing it hitting the MD/DE area Sat night into Sunday. I would be SO bummed if they took out the swim. What's the sense of paying that kind of money to have the swim taken out!?

Still seems unlikely, I think we'll have a great race. :-)
2007-09-07 1:50 PM

User image

Wilmington, Delaware
Checked the latest on the weather:  Hot, humid, and partly cloudy.  No rain!

2007-09-07 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Good luck to you all, have a great race! This was my first HIM last year.

A couple of things that I remember about the course, it looks like it will be about the same:

• The swim in the lake is great. Enjoy!
  • The bike course is flat.
  • The run course will be HOT along the canal, there is no shade. Pace yourself and take advantage of the aid stations.

Have a great race!

2007-09-10 3:51 PM

User image

Wilmington, Delaware
Just posted my race report.  How did you guys do?  I barely came out of that race alive!
2007-09-10 8:00 PM
in reply to: #958723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Good job, Esquiredo. It's only your first HIM, so chin up, it gets better. You have a lot of areas that you already know you can improve upon.

I am pretty happy with my race - 5:27:45. My previous best at Morgantown was 5:55 in July, and I was pretty happy with that one. 67th overall this time around. I'll post my race report when I get a chance. My 'pie in the sky can't believe I would ever do it' goal for IMFL is 12 hours, and this has me locked right in on that.

My GPS registered 54 miles for the bike. Did anyone else get that? I was very happy with the bike course. The bridge was annoying, but hey.. :-)

That run was BRUTAL! The canal was baking. That was unreal. Seemed unsafe. Did anyone see a woman at about mile 1.5 who was in such severe leg cramp pain that she screamed loud enough to be heard 1/4 mile away? I sent paramedics for her. I tried to give her gatorade but she wouldn't take it. She must've been severely dehydrated to be in that much cramp pain.
2007-09-10 8:04 PM
in reply to: #959144

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Oh, and I didn't see any gels on the run course either, and I thought they were supposed to be at every mile. I don't know what that was all about. So, even 'up near the front' there were no gels.
2007-09-10 9:57 PM

User image

Expert

Yes, I got 54 miles exactly on the bike course as well.  Last year, with transition in the middle of the park it was a bit longer, say maybe 1 mile longer but it would have been short then as well. The run was probably the hardest run of my life- the run at Lake Placid was easier- at least there if you were really suffering it was mostly because you pushed too hard on the bike or screwed up your nutrition.  Yesterday, everyone looked horrible and a lot of us had our Personal Worsts on the run Yell  A friend of mine who was one of the top finishers in his age group at LP and also placed well yesterday said he thought it was harder yesterday than Lake Placid with the conditions- I think I agree with that statement.  Surviving and finishing, not needing an IV, was the victory yesterday.

2007-09-11 8:48 AM
in reply to: #959308

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
oceanannie - 2007-09-10 10:57 PM

Yes, I got 54 miles exactly on the bike course as well.  Last year, with transition in the middle of the park it was a bit longer, say maybe 1 mile longer but it would have been short then as well. The run was probably the hardest run of my life- the run at Lake Placid was easier- at least there if you were really suffering it was mostly because you pushed too hard on the bike or screwed up your nutrition.  Yesterday, everyone looked horrible and a lot of us had our Personal Worsts on the run Yell  A friend of mine who was one of the top finishers in his age group at LP and also placed well yesterday said he thought it was harder yesterday than Lake Placid with the conditions- I think I agree with that statement.  Surviving and finishing, not needing an IV, was the victory yesterday.

I have a Garmin and got around 54 miles as well. 

I'm so glad to see this post!  I was thinking that if I got through that run, and IMLP was x2, then I'll be completely cooked!  I think brutal is the best word to describe it. 

Register another one for a personal worst on the run...I haven't run that slow in 10 years!  The real victory was truly about being able to stand up at the finish line, for sure!

Congratulations to everyone!

2007-09-11 1:08 PM

New user
Philadelphia, Pa
I am glad to hear that others thought the run was brutal. This was my second half and I am hoping to sign up for Lake Placid 09. During the run though I was really considering if I would ever be able to complete an IM. That was definitely the worst run time I ever had and to top it all off I got a pretty good sunburn despite the sunscreen.
2007-09-11 1:18 PM

User image

Wilmington, Delaware

I signed up for IMLP '08 when I didn't have a clue as to how hard an HIM would be.  This race was definately a wake up call for me.  If I can barely get through a HIM, how in the hell am I going to get through an IM?!  Answer:  more training... 

2007-09-12 1:59 PM
in reply to: #959147

User image

Expert
MD
I saw gels at nearly every water stop on the run. They had Hammer Gel - the only time I grabbed one it was Apple-Cinnamon flavor and it was probably 95 degrees going down my throat. YUCK. They weren't calling out 'gel' as we approached, though, I had to specifically ask for it. The water station volunteers should have been coached to let people know they had gels available.

My bike computer registered a bike ride of just over 54 miles. I have to say that I was pretty excited to see T2 when I thought I was still 2 miles away.

Edited by econway 2007-09-12 2:00 PM
2007-09-12 2:05 PM
in reply to: #960186

User image

Expert
MD
Right on Esquiredo! The only way to get there is to follow a decent training plan.

I did this HIM without any adherence to a structured plan, and it shows, especially in my hard BONK on the run. Knowing others suffered on the run as much as I helps a little - not that I want anybody to suffer, but it helps to know that the conditions on that course were brutal for all who where out there that day. I knew my run would be weak on this race, anyway, since I hadn't run longer than 1 hour for a few months in training.

BTW - I might have actually met you before the swim. Were you walking to the water with your brother or something? Your avatar kind of looks like a guy I was chatting with a bit before the race started.

2007-09-12 2:08 PM

User image

Wilmington, Delaware
I was about an 1 1/2 hours after you (if you can believe that!) and I asked for gels.  Nada. 
2007-09-12 2:15 PM
in reply to: #961988

User image

Wilmington, Delaware

BTW - I might have actually met you before the swim. Were you walking to the water with your brother or something? Your avatar kind of looks like a guy I was chatting with a bit before the race started.

You and I probably did meet.  And yes, I did walk w/ brother to the swim.  I only have one set of tri clothes so I pretty much look like my avatar!  It would have been nice to meet up with all the BT folks before hand.  It couldn't be after a race as everyone would be waiting hours for me to finish!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Delaware Diamondman Triathlon Rss Feed