General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Novi Sprint Tri - Did you think the run was long? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-08 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: Novi Sprint Tri - Did you think the run was long?
I did the Novi Sprint Tri this morning, and the supposed 5 k took me nearly 32 minutes to run, coming out to over 10 minute miles. Now this is on a course I busted my arse on, and never stopped once, not even for a water/gatorade stop. I was planning on 8 minute miles, and hoping for a 7:45 pace.

Just curious if others had similar results. I know everyone ran the same course, so it's not a big deal, and even though it was a trail run, there were very few hills to slow you down much and I do quite abit of trail running so it wasn't something new to my big feet.

I'll be interested to see some of the run splits once there posted.

Nice course overall, and I was actually surprised how clean Walled Lake appeared, we only swam over a short weed bed on the way out and on the way in.

2007-09-08 3:08 PM
in reply to: #956459

User image

Birmingham, MI
Subject: RE: Novi Sprint Tri - Did you think the run was long?
I agree! I'm not a fan of the trail run though. You have too many things to worry about. I've been running around a 9 minute pace lately and today was much higher. I think it was longer than a 5K. Let's check the results on Monday. At the Blue Water Tri the times posted after the race were different than the results. Overall I thought this was a decent race.
2007-09-08 8:11 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Hi guys. I think the whole race ran long today. I hear that 3disciplines has a reputation for not having accurate distances, and this race certainly helps that argument. I swam in the Island Lake Tri in Brighton 3 weeks ago, and my results for the 800 meters was 15+ minutes. Here, it was 18+ minutes, same distance. Granted, I don't think I swam as strong, but I still came in 12th overall for women there and just don't understand the big difference in the time. Other than that, I enjoyed the swim and looking at the fishes darting in and out of the seaweed.

The bike, advertised at 15 miles, was 16.4 according to my gauge and many others that I talked to...It was a nice course though.

I haven't heard one person say that they thought the run course was accurate. I overheard someone saying that they had heard the run was actually 4 miles, not the 5K as originally advertised. I don't know if it was 4K, but I certainly think it was over 3.12. I know I ran it slower than my normal pace (which averages between 10 and 11 mph, yes, I'm slow...) But here, the results showed I was at a 13.5 pace, and that's CRAZY slow, and I didn't stop either.

My shins are suffering, but it was a beautiful course (other than the part at the end where a pack of us almost got lost because of poor marking...hopefully they fixed that by the time you guys made it around...)

2007-09-08 9:36 PM
in reply to: #956608

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
aduncan42 - 2007-09-08 9:11 PM

The bike, advertised at 15 miles, was 16.4 according to my gauge and many others that I talked to...It was a nice course though.

Wow, here I'm thinking my bike computer is off and it reads 16.37

Glad to hear some others are thinking the same way, as I would be seriously upset if towards the end of the season I'm running over 2 minutes slower then my first race in June after a 16 year layoff.
2007-09-08 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
3D has the results posted already.

Only a dozen or so runners in the less then 8 min mile category, and only one sub 7 min mile. Seems a little slow for folks in the top tier of racers.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Novi Sprint Tri - Did you think the run was long? Rss Feed