General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Geneva Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fontana, Wisconsin
United States
Lake Geneva Extreme Sports
Total Time = 5h 26m 58s
Overall Rank = 53/153
Age Group = 18-24
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 3am scared shitless that i had missed my alarm and slept through the race...i didnt lol. packed my stuff into the car, ate a pb bagel and drank a gatorade shake and hit the road.
Event warmup:

rode to transition, jogged to porta potty and jogged back, swam 100 yds because race started on time...lol...wasnt expecting that
Swim
  • 40m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was extremely happy with this time on the swim!!! i felt very strong the whole way through but i could not see anything! the swim buoys were about 1/3 mi apart so they were very hard to see in the first place plus we were swimming out into the sun. not good. but i just kept pulling and breathing and trying to keep people close to me so i knew i was going the right way. I think i kept a good line on the way out but on the way back i picked what i thought was a nice building to sight towards but it turned out to be a moving boat...haha. oops! ended up being way off to the left on the way back in and had to stop and lift up my goggles 2xs so that i could figure out where the crap i had gone.
What would you do differently?:

keep working on swimming faster and not follow a boat :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Good T1

nothing really.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Once again very happy with my bike ride! i love riding my bike :D my goal was just to keep a 18.5 pace but i was feeling good and not pushing it so i let myself go!!! the first hill sucked but i think i passed 8 or so people up it which was nice hehe. passed alot of people on the bike and was only passed by 2 others and ended up catching and passing them back at about mi 40 :D it was fun to cruise bye all the cervelos ect with their zipps...i want some!!!! took a gu every 30 min and drank gatorade for the first 2/3's of the ride and then switched to water for the last 1/3 so that my stomach wouldnt have to deal with it on the run...(EL)

maybe even push more??
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Run
  • 1h 52m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

i knew coming into the race that i had not put in enough running time and my longest run was 9.5 miles...and not on hills like these so i cant really complain about this time. felt surprisingly good out of T2 untill i started hitting the hills which really hurt! i tried to run up halfway and then walk the second half but there were a few that i walked the whole thing. ran the first 3 mi by myself and then ran with a guy doing 7:50's for a while until about mile 6 when i was too tired to keep up. made the turn and was really pissed that i had to do the hills again lol but i kept going. got to about mile 7.5 and saw a donkey jersey in front of me and it was morey!!! i was so glad to find him and be able to run with him because it really kept me going. we ran to aid stations and then refueled and walked up the big hills. morey even hooked me up with some water from his fuel belt...what a guy :D im pretty sure i would not have broke 5:30 without him. morey cramped up at about mi 11 so i kept going and kicked hard to catch the guy in front of me with about .8 to go.

more running in training :D
Post race
Event comments:

woooooohooooooooooooooo i beat my goal by 33 minutes and cant wait to race again :D

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:45 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 0/153
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:49:56 | 56 miles | 19.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 37/153
Wind:
Course: country roads baby!!!
Road: Potholes  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:52:14 | 13.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 0/153
Performance: Below average
Course: flat, hill, BIG HILL, flat, downhill, hill, rollers, repeat!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-08 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
Subject: Lake Geneva Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

2007-09-11 8:35 AM
in reply to: #956502

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
You SMOKED that thing!  Great job and great splits in all 3 events!  I'm glad to have been a part of your first race.  You are gonna kill IM next year, I'm happy you took the plunge.
2007-09-11 9:15 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Nice freaking race!!!

What kind of bike do you ride that you were smiling while passing the cervelos with zipps?

As for hills, Coredump once taught me that if you count each step (up to 4) and keep repeating that, the hills seem to pass much quicker and don’t seem as painful.  I’ve used a few times and it works better than dredding the hill.

CONGRATS!!!!

p.s.  It started on time?  I’m amazed.

2007-09-11 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Beat youre goal time by 33'?  Good gawd man.  You really ripped that shiznat up.  Excellent job!
2007-09-11 11:05 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Dood, you are going to rock Moo next year.  Congrats on the stellar first HIM!
2007-09-12 9:46 PM

User image

Nice race! I did the olympic and I think I saw you the night before with that J Cow dude walking by the water. You said you were doing the half iron and I responded something like "good luck with that". Anyways, nice job and enjoy your recovery.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed