United States
Timeout Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 42s
Overall Rank = 221/733
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/57
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race was a bit more tightly scheduled than I like and I wasn't prepared. I ended up quickly eating a powerbar at about 5:30 and had a gatorade. 1 hour before the race I had 3 electrolytes. Other than that it was just hurrying to reach the site, get parking, and set up.
Event warmup:

It was cold. I didn't have time to do a true warm up (who am I kidding - i never warm up) - so i was trying to stay warm, move my arms around etc. Decided to not wear the wetsuit since it was such a short swim...and they made it even shorter. So, quickly did some swimming (if you could call it that) in the waves and then back to try to stay warm in the wind.
Swim
  • 03m 38s
  • 440 yards
  • 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Okay...this was barely a swim, but I think (for me) I did the best things I could have done to get through it. I started at the outer side of the pack. Especially with the current going towards the right - I figured it would be best over there. I didn't even bother to put my face in the water to swim. I just used my arms and legs to swim out to the first buoy. It calmed me and I wasn't doing bad either. I was able to round the first buoy well - then I began swimming a bit more. And finally, road in the waves and swam to shore.
What would you do differently?:

It seemed like it was less about athletic ability and skill in swimming and more about being smart. Having said that - I think based on others performace I could have done better. I still think I need to be more aggressive with the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was happy with T1. I sprinted out of the water and really pushed it to get into T1. It was all business and went smoothly from that point forward. I ran well with the bike. Once I hopped on - I clicked in fairly quickly (for me) and then stood up from the saddle to get my speed up (which I don't think I've ever done before). I felt strong going out of T1

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 37m
  • 10 miles
  • 16.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike. Can still tell when I'm pedaling correctly ... which means the majority of time I'm not. But - I'm trying to focus on it. I felt good on the turns and cornering - something I've never really felt I did well. And, for me, it is a personal achievement that I actually got a better ranking in the bike than in the swim (maybe I just did really bad in the swim???) since that has never happened before. I usually have a good rank that gets demolished after the ride. I was really happy about it. I went strong the entire way and I was on my big gear for all except maybe the first mile. Got caught in traffic and behind a slower rider in a single line (due to cones) at the end. Hate when that happens. But - I really felt good during this ride.

Kept my heels down more and perhaps stayed in position 3 for more of the ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 also went pretty well. I grabbed my hat & my number and put them on WHILE I ran (just like Raquel pointed out during Cranberry). I felt pretty speedy at the transition.

Not worn the hat or the sunglasses...but, oh well
Run
  • 29m 53s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Well...I'm happy with my pace. I can say that! And makes me feel confident that my goal of having an 8 minute pace next summer is completely doable (if I can't do better!). I had the beginnings of blisters on the insides of each feet and went back and forth as to whether I should wear socks even though it was a sprint. I chose not to and boy was that a mistake. The extra 5 seconds to put on the socks would probably have saved me a bunch of time during the run. About mile 1 one really began hurting and I started running on the outside of my foot. I tried to stop and just get through it. I felt okay during the run. I wasn't super fast, but I was steady. I concentrated on my breathing and tried to keep to a pace that didn't get my HR up too high. Towards the end - at about mile 3 I was able to pick up the pace a little. Sometimes I can't do that. And I tried to sprint as best I could for the last .1. (Running in the sand stinx!...My ankle turned to the side and I almost fell...wonder if they have a picture of it...lol)

WEAR SOCKS!!! And maybe ease into the run a little. I tried to do it - but my pace was definitely quick, then I slowed it...
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? I stretched a little - cheered a lot - and had a good time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think this was a good race for me and I think I did pretty good in all legs. I think I can get more aggressive on the swim...but I don't like swimming in the waves (at least I didn't swallow as much of the water as I usually do) - the rest of it I think is just MORE TRAINING. End of story.

Event comments:

I just wish the swim and the ride were longer. Okay...maybe not the swim. But, it's a fun race and it gets the practice in. So, no real complaints here! I wish they were having it next year so I could do Hyannis I and II. I think it is a great opportunity to compare your ability at the beginning of the year and then at the end. Stinker!

Last updated: 2007-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:38 | 440 yards | 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/57
Overall: 253/733
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: They brought the buoys in because of the waves - so the distance was probably even shorter. Choppy water...actual waves.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:00 | 10 miles | 16.22 mile/hr
Overall: 210/733
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course was flat, but not as flat as I thought it would be. There were some rolling hills and a lot of turns. Some tight turns. All in all - 10 miles of an easy course, mostly downhill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:53 | 03.5 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 278/733
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty flat. A few slight hills in it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-08 6:54 PM

New user

Subject: Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon

2007-09-10 8:51 PM
in reply to: #956574

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon
Great job on Saturday. That swim was rough eh? Great age group placement. Hope to meet you at future races.....
2007-09-10 8:58 PM
in reply to: #956574

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon

sure was a fun swim, huh?  I only wish it had been longer!  Nice race for you tho    Wish we had gotten a chance to meet 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon Rss Feed