General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Coast Triathlon / Duathlon / Aqua Bike Series, Race #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Emerald Coast Triathlon / Duathlon / Aqua Bike Series, Race #3 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Panama City Beach, Florida
United States
Emerald Coast Events, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 29s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early so I could eat breakfast, drink my coffee, and use the...facilities. Was quickly thrown off when one of my friends decided to shower before the race (yes, he was also competing) and the other bathroom was occupied by our spectator friend who was showering. Even though the routine didn't go as usual, it didn't hurt me. ;-)
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 12m 19s
  • 587 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Rough swim because of jellyfish and waves, but the coolest thing happened at the beginning. As the bullhorn went off and we ran into the water, tons of little fish started jumping about 10 feet in front of us!
What would you do differently?:

Try to get some more space to myself
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

LONG run from beach to transition, and slippery! My transition was a little interesting when I found a twist tie in my bike shoe...I think that wasted a few seconds, but that would've been pretty uncomfortable! I wonder how it got there!
Bike
  • 45m 43s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Windy after the turnaround! I felt ok for most of the race and only got passed by a few women (but lots of men!). My turnaround was great considering I'm horrible at those. I couldn't see my speed on my Garmin because I forgot to change the view, so all I got was the BIKE thing in the corner.

Watch my speed on my Garmin, try to break 20mph average.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Let's see...ran my pedal into a bike rack, couldn't unhook my Garmin from the bike quickly, and the guy next to me happened to be racking at the same time and asked me to move my bike over once it was already racked.

Take the Garmin off the bike more easily!
Run
  • 23m 9s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Passed 2 girls from my age group, so I'm happy. I couldn't catch the other 3 who were in front of me, though. I ended up running in front of a guy, thinking it was the girl I passed, at breakneck speed for a while until I looked back and realized it was a guy! Thank goodness because I couldn't keep that pace for long!

I wish I had hydrated better earlier in the race, because it slowed me down on the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with a friend who was coming into T2 about 10 minutes after I finished, and she really wanted someone to run with. I dropped my race belt and stuff with another friend and took off to catch her so I could pace her. We alternated walking and running because it was her first tri and she wasn't used to running off the bike. I peeled off at the finish and we all met up to go to the after-party.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slight dehydration, and a twisty tie in my shoe.

Event comments:

Great race, but I didn't get a t-shirt because they ran out of everything but XL, and there was way too much traffic on the bike. Even with the intersections patrolled by traffic cops, I watched one guy almost get hit by a turning car and all the cop did was tell the cyclist he should've been closer to the middle of the road when he crossed. I thought the point was to stop traffic at the intersections... Anyway, great race overall and I had a lot of fun watching two of my friends do their first tri and beating the pants off of another friend, who coincidentally had beaten me in my first tri about a year ago. :-)

Last updated: 2007-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:19 | 587 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course: Basically a square...out to a buoy, turn right, next buoy, turn right, back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:43 | 15 miles | 19.69 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back along tourist-traveled beach roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:09 | 03.25 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Course: Out and back through housing areas.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-08 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Emerald Coast Triathlon / Duathlon / Aqua Bike Series, Race #3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Coast Triathlon / Duathlon / Aqua Bike Series, Race #3 Rss Feed