General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should I do this afternoon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
What should I do this afternoon?
OptionResults
Suck it up and go swimming.3 Votes - [12%]
Go to the library for your triathlon book and read instead.1 Votes - [4%]
Get drunk and pass out as early as possible to ensure a lot of sleep ;-)1 Votes - [4%]
It's the off season so don't worry so much.13 Votes - [52%]
Get some beer so you don't drink whisky again tonight.0 Votes - [0%]
go swimming and then get some beer on the way home from the pool.2 Votes - [8%]
Get the book and read while drinking boilermakers until you pass out. 1 Votes - [4%]
Play on BT, and then call that your training for the night.1 Votes - [4%]
Swim, get beer, and go to Front Page News1 Votes - [4%]
Go to the pool and look for grey tri-shorts.1 Votes - [4%]
go easy on yourself b/c you've got an endurance ride w/BTers tomorrow. 1 Votes - [4%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2004-10-21 4:48 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: What should I do this afternoon?

I'm really tired today.  Yesterday, I went to the big gym for weights instead of the small gym in my building.  2 hrs later I finished my 1 hr workout (couldn't find a darn thing).  The plus side was that I got my body fat measured again with their handheld impedence thingy.  It was 26% in Mar and is now down to 21%.  Yeah!  The negative side was I got home late.  And ate dinner late.  And we were out of beer so I had a whisky-coke.  Which led to some sipping whisky (half shot).  Which led to going to bed late. Which led to being so tired that I didn't hear the alarm until the 3rd time it went off.

So, today I'm sore from weights, tired from whisky and staying up too late and running 3 mi at lunch and I don't wanna workout this afternoon.  What should I do?

2004-10-21 4:52 PM
in reply to: #75039

User image

Veteran
WATERTOWN, WISCONSIN
Subject: RE: What should I do this afternoon?
see, I feel your pain, because I've done that before. and since I'm one that likes to have a nightcap most evenings.

BUT... I make myself go to the gym [or pool] no matter what. Once I get there it usually gets better. and if not, at least I've went for 30 mins. or whatever.

then when I get home and have that beer or two I don't feel quite as bad about it.
2004-10-21 4:54 PM
in reply to: #75041

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Do I still have to even though I ran at lunch? [wimper, whine]  I swear I'm falling asleep ...
2004-10-21 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
WATERTOWN, WISCONSIN
well, coming from little old obsessive me... YES. But coming from most normal people probably not.

I just think that a nice dip in the pool will do wonders for your physical well-being.

But then again, like I said, I'm obsessive sometimes so don't listen to me. except for the buying beer part
2004-10-21 5:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
If you really don't want to swim, don't go. It is the off season. But remember, the person who finished before you at your last A race is probably swimming after work. ;-)
2004-10-21 5:40 PM

Online or Offline

Ooooooooohhhhhhh, THAT WAS BELOW THE BELT.

Very true though

2004-10-21 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa

What should you do? Have more whiskey, of course!

2004-10-21 5:58 PM
in reply to: #75059

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
It sounds to me as though, if there were ever a reason for a rest day, this is it. Take the day off and don't worry so much, that's what I think. Now, as to what you do with that day off.....Let's see if I can think of an activity that doesn't involve going to the gym, does burn calories, and allows you to fall straight asleep afterwards..... hmmmmm.....

Andrea
2004-10-21 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona

IMHO - go to the pool and get the swim in.  Speaking from just getting back to working out experience you will feel better once you get the exercise.  I had LOTS of days that I was too sore, too tired, etc. and didn't want to go to the gym, run, ride, go to the pool, etc. and I did it anyway, and felt much better afterwards, and didn't have to deal with the guilt of missing a workout.

Besides - this is FUN!!!!!!

2004-10-22 10:17 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: What should I do this afternoon? UPDATE

Thanks for the input everyone.

I ended up skipping swimming, going to the library to pick up my book and then heading home to spend quality time with Hubby, which is important considering he's having knee surgery on Monday.  After said quality time, he was more than happy to go to the liquor store and pick up not only his preferred beer, but a nice märzen (typical Octoberfest) for me while I cooked some tasty cajun chicken pasta and broccoli.  After a candlelit dinner and listening to Abbey Road, we settled for an hour of CSI in front of the tube.  We were in bed at 10 and I woke up the 1st time the alarm went off this morning feeling refreshed though somewhat irritated at the hungry, loud and obnoxious cats jumping on my head.  All in all, though the triathlete who sucked it up and swam may beat me in the next race, I'll have a happy husband waiting for me when I cross the finish line. ;-)  Last night was one of the nights that make marriage great.  Right now, the Cheshire Cat has got nothing on my smile! :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should I do this afternoon? Rss Feed