La Trinidad, Caracas,
Venezuela
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 12s
Overall Rank = /41
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Had a turkey and cheese roll with some pineapple juice a couple of hours prior to the race.
Event warmup:

Ran two laps of the circuit + four laps on the short track. Managed to break a good sweat.
Run
  • 15m 4s
  • 3.4 kms
  • 04m 26s  min/km
Comments:

Started out fast then faded a bit every lap. I passed on the downhills and climbs but got outpaced in the flat sections.

In lap 3/4 Mayde caught up; she was on the tail of another girl. I paced both of them in the final lap of the first run. But I'm pretty sure that I couldn't have run much faster on my own.
What would you do differently?:

I have to learn to pull off negative splits in racing since I do it regularly in almost every training run.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Spotted my assigned transition area from a distance. Got there, removed socks and shoes and ran to the pool.

Not sit down to remove shoes...though I didn't feel that affected my time at all.
Swim
  • 07m 57s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Jumped in to find traffic immediately. Couldn't pass on left as other swimmers who were ahead were coming in my direction. Only place to pass in most cases was when reaching the wall.
Stroke count was incredibly high, in the low to mid 30's SPLs when I usually average in the low 20's!
Legs felt dead initially but so did everyone else's.

Don't really know. I have to keep training the swim. Maybe I should have taken advantage of the few opportunities I had to accelerate.

It was sort of foolish to think that a swim like this would be at an even pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Ran out of the pool but badly overran my transition spot. Once I found it, put on my shoes and got the hell out of there. Opted to do the second run sockless.

Left the pool, ran up the little climb and reached the beginning of the run course.

Think about my "transition strategy" beforehand, and visualize it so that all I have to do later is execute.
Run
  • 16m 19s
  • 3.4 kms
  • 04m 48s  min/km
Comments:

Started out more conservatively because I wanted to finish strong. Lost focus a bit on the second lap. Passed a few but got passed also.

Finished strong, but over 1 minute slower than in the first run segment. Though this time I managed to pull off a negative split.

Become a better runner.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and in less than 2min Mayde came running in, looking very strong!

Stretched out a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The explosiveness of an event like this is something I don't train for. But, it was good to run a bit faster than expected and swim at my intended pace.

I raced for fun (no taper or specific training) but deep inside I wanted to see how my training was coming along, and I can't complain too much. Though I'm still slow, I seem to have improved a bit here and there.

Event comments:

A good initiative organized by friends from the pool/track in honor of a lady who died in a cycling accident about a year ago. Some very fast racers showed up too.

I had a blast and would do it again.

Last updated: 2007-09-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:04 | 03.4 kms | 04m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/41
Performance: Good
Course: 4 laps of 800m around the block where the park is located. A short downhill and short climb in every lap. Then about 2/3 of a lap around the short track and toward the pool area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time:  01:42
Overall: Good
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting out of shoes: Good
Swimming
00:07:57 | 400 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: In a 25m pool with 8 lanes. Swimmers had to cover 50m in each lane then switch. Starts in lane 1 and end in lane 8.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  01:47
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:16:19 | 03.4 kms | 04m 48s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: 4 laps of 800m around the block where the park is located. A short downhill and short climb in every lap. Then in the final lap, reenter the park and run half a lap around the short track toward the finish line.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-09 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Aquatlón La Trinidad

2007-09-10 7:06 PM
in reply to: #956961

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Aquatlón La Trinidad
Training is paying off Felix!  You're training for long - and still going fast on short!!!  Awesome.  CAn't wait to see you and your wife race at miamiman   Yay for Mayde too!
2007-09-21 9:18 AM
in reply to: #956961

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Aquatlón La Trinidad

Nice racing, and you beat Mayde so you most have been faster then normal

Good pace on you run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aquatlón La Trinidad Rss Feed