General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Trumansburg, New York
United States
Ithaca Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 28s
Overall Rank = 174/267
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/19
Pre-race routine:

We drove up before the race- a quick ride but still a hassle.

The usual- Bagel and PB 2 hour before. Milk and fruit and an energy bar 1 hour before. Engergy drink and gel 1/2 hour before.

Event warmup:

Transition area setup as usual. They had alternating hanging metal bike racks. I was set up next to a SoftTail and a Cervelo- with my $180 bike!!

I splashed around in the warmup area for a few minutes to get a feel of the water. It was a nice morning and the water was mostly calm.

Swim
  • 21m 17s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

My best swim so far. I was able to keep a good pace and not get gassed in the 1st half of the race. I was a little off-target on the return trip and drifted left. Coming to the end and the shallow water- the guy in front of me slowed down unexpectedly and I slipped up on him and got a complimentary kick in the face.
What would you do differently?:

better navigation. I had a land target on the way out but not on the way back so I was depending on the buoys for guidance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

I fair T1- I could have been a little faster but I stopped over to Andy and screamed into the camera for posterity.

Not much.
Bike
  • 54m 15s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I had pondered riding my mountain bike with low-rollers on it because of the hill in the beginning. But pre-driving it the night before convinced me that the gearing on the road bike- although at a disadvantage on the climb, would prove beneficial overall so I just decided to suck it up the hill as best I could.

I felt pretty good after the swim and once I was on the road my legs started to stiffen up so I started my climb poorly. After getting passed by the 5th or 6th person I seemed to get a good wind and started moving up better. I eventuall passed Mike about 3/4 mile up the hill. There were people all around us or I would have rode with him- he DID ride his mountain bike and the extra weight ended up giving him a really long bike time for him.

At the turn-around I go to push off and my seat spins around on the post?!?! I was able to keep it in place the rest of the ride despide it being loose.

The last 1 1/2 mile was a real screamer. I had to resist the temptation to go over 35mph because of my skinny tires but I could have gome a lot faster for sure. At the bottom we were directed into a road to the transition area. Lots of people saying, "Slow Down!!". It's a 'race', man...

Not much
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I was confused where the run-out was so I was doing the "Which way did he go, George" dance for about 10 seconds. Renee and Sandy were the screaming at me to hurry up.

Not get confused- race awareness!!!
Run
  • 30h 45m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 9h 53m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I was dogging i tin the beginning but after hitting the first water station I felt better. Dumping water on my head seems to be better than drinking it but I grabbed a cup of water and a cup of HEED. Sticky!!

I wasn't doing a great pace but it was shady and I slowly started pushing it a little harder. There were a lot of places to be careful running rather than running quickly- the spillway was uneven grass and the gravel had some slippery spots. At the turn around for the falls it was all down hill from there. I passed Mike as he was coming back up so he was probable 5 minutes behind me.

Back through the park and into the finishing chute towards the finishing line I was running and was passed by some little girl showing off- damn!!!

Quicker pace.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

second 1/2 of swim better navigating
run- better pace

Event comments:

Definately will do it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:17 | 820 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/19
Overall: 196/267
Performance: Good
Suit: NeoSport Full Suit
Course: Out-and-back around a couple of buoys making the course 2 long triangle legs.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:15 | 14 miles | 15.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/19
Overall: 179/267
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: A monster hill climb in the first 2 miles- after that rollng hills and a turn-around 7 miles out. A total screamer coming down the hill in the last 5 minutes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
30:45:00 | 03.11 miles | 9h 53m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 114/267
Performance: Average
Course: Throught the park- upthe spillway and onto the path to the falls (and back). Mostly packed dirt or grass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-09 5:20 PM

User image

New user

Chenango Bridge, NY
Subject: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-01-07 3:29 PM
in reply to: #957127

User image

Master
Albany, NY
Subject: RE: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance
I just had to tell you that I'm laughing at your description of the bike course. I also did the sprint last year (9 months post-baby is my excuse)... but that is the best description of that blasted hill that I've seen yet! And I did it on a mountain bike...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed