Columbia Triathlon Association
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 30s
Overall Rank = 74/1259
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/155
Pre-race routine:

Rode over with Dave. Shelly just happened to be walking by when we parked. Got set up in T2, then boarded a bus to City Dock and T2. Unpacked my trash bag, hit the port-a-pot, chatted, and checked out the swim course.
Breakfast: Ensure, banana, honeydew. 150 cal Accelerade before swim.
Event warmup:

None. Shoes were at the Stadium, bike couldn't leave TA, and couldn't get in the water.
Swim
  • 27m 3s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought I had a really good swim. there was a tremendous amount of contact all the way to the first buoy. It didn't bug me, but it did slow me down, having to jockey for position, and losing good body position. Started catching the wave ahead (purple caps) as I got close to the far set of buoys. Navigation couldn't have been better. I was going from mark to mark. After the final turn buoy, I lost the ability to swim straight. First I was left of the pack, then to the right and back again. At this point I was in more purple caps with a few white caps (2 waves ahead) than red caps (my wave). I kept getting kicked by breast strokers. Finished up strong. Getting out of the water onto a floating dock was kind of difficult, but the volunteers were very helpful.
I think I'm happy with this swim. Top 20%. It felt very good. I was relaxed, was able to maintain a decent level of intensity, and didn't feel like my stroke was breaking down too much at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim. This is about as good as it gets right now.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Unusual wrinkle in this transition was the necessity to stuff my wetsuit and goggles into a trash bag to be transported to the stadium. I took my suit off as soon as I hit dry land, so I could fold it up as I ran.

Nothing. Picked up time on the field here.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 38s
  • 23 miles
  • 22.76 mile/hr
Comments:

A very good bike split for me. The legs felt fresh right out of the gate. It was fun climbig up Main St and around State Circle. I almost bit it when we had the first hard turn onto Rowe Blvd. I'm still not sure how I missed that traffic cone. Daremo was coming out of T1 at the same time and I kept sight of him for, oh a good mile. Whew!
I just let 'er rip the whole ride. I timed the rollers very well - pushed hard on the downhill and kept momentum to the next crest. Sometimes I didn't have to downshift past 53x15/16. I did get caught with my pants down on one hill (the only hill of consequence). I misjudged how big it was and thought I could climb it in 53x19. Well, I did, but it hurt. There was a brief flat before the next phase of the hill, so I at least downshifted to the 21 tooth. That still hurt. Caught up with Dave right after that hill. He, of course, wondered why I wasn't going any faster than I was.
Most of the bike course was very tight. It was difficult to pass, and I was constantly up against the traffic cones and a couple times I had to dart outside of them for a few seconds to get around bike traffic. Another hairy moment came turning back onto Bestgate Rd. A volunteer was spray painting an arrow on the course (???!) and the other volunteers were screaming at me to stay to the left, basically right where this guy was standing. I could try to go between him and a cop (3-4' gap) or swing wide around him and hope he didn't try to back up. I got around him and narrowly missed another traffic cone. *Sidebar - if anybody knows how many traffic cones were in use today please let me know. It was mind-boggling.* The inward stretch on Bestgagte / Rowe Blvd was awesome. A slight downhill, where I dropped the chain onto the 13 tooth and flew.
I didn't pass many 40s on the bike, so I wasn't sure what that meant (evidently I passed 23). I was pretty confident I had a strong bike, but, at the time, I was surprised I didn't reel in more fish. Made me wonder how good of a swim I had.

Course knowledge would have helped. Some of the sharp turns were scary. Top 4% - I'm not doing much better than that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Good transition. Took a few extra seconds to grab a drink out of the bike bottle. Socks stuck a little. Lost a little bit of time here, but only a few seconds.

Not much.
Run
  • 44m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Not sure what to think about this run. I really thought I'd keep it closer to 7'/mi than I did. I can blame part of it on loopy nonsense around the stadium. The first half mile we ran on grass that was first rutted up, then sloppy wet (soaked socks in the first 1/4mi, cute). Out onto Taylor and Rowe should have been better, but it wasn't. Saw Dave coming back on Rowe. Passed one M40-44 on the path at the stadium, then couldn't find any more. Hmmm. Passed Linda on the way up the bridge. I saw Dana Dobbs (heading down the bridge), and figured he was first in our AG. Then I saw a few guys with 600 series numbers (I was 655), but hoped they were 45s (no such luck). There were two guys in my AG that were not very far ahead. I had my marks. The first guy started walking once we got going uphill off the bridge. One down. Passed the next guy turning onto Taylor Ave. I had to comment on how ugly his shoes were (I was was wearing my Newtons too). Back onto the stadium property and I remembered from the A-10 finishing uphill (and how much it hurt). Much to my pleasant surprise we turned to go into the stadium before we hit that hill. It was different finishing in the stadium, but I never looked up to see the Jumbotron.

More speed work? Drop 10 lbs? Get younger? Different shoes? Don't know. Top 7%, so I'm pleased with the run, yet I think I could/should have done better. HR was mostly in the low 150s. Last year I was keeping in the 160s for a 10K. More questions than answers after this run, but I know I'm bagging my goal of a half marathon PR at Nutmeg.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran another 4 miles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming ability, speed training, body fat, age.

Event comments:

I had much trepidation heading into this race - two transitions, the bike and run courses were being changed almost weekly. I have to hand it to CTA, from a racer's standpoint, they pulled it off very well. From the viewpoint of Naptown motorists? Not so much. My only beefs were with the run course and the way gear dropoff was handled at the stadium. There was no security at the bag pickup and bags were strewn all over the place by the time Dave got his.
Overall I enjoyed the race. We'll see if they can pull it off again.

Last updated: 2007-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:03 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/155
Overall: 0/1259
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course: Long rectangle. Across Spa Cr, make a left around the moored ragboats, two more lefts, and back along the USNA sea wall.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:00:38 | 23 miles | 22.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/155
5 mile splits: 22.8mph (150) / 23.8mph (148) / 21.6mph (148) / 24.2mph (147) / 22.7mph* (145) * - 3 miles.
Wind: None
Course: Up Main St from City Dock, then out Rowe Blvd / Bestgate Rd to Generals Hwy. A loop through Herald Harbor and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:22 | 06.21 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/155
Performance: Average
Splits: 7:01 (149) / 7:09 (150) / 7:07 (151) / 7:13 (152) / 7:26* (153) / 7:01 (155) * - bridge
Course: Zig-zag, double-back, and loop around the stadium for 2 miles (!), then out and back on Rowe Blvd and out and back on 450 (turnaround on top of bridge ?!)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-09 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: Annapolis Triathlon

2007-09-09 9:19 PM
in reply to: #957389

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Annapolis Triathlon

Yeah, you were motoring out of T1, knew if I stayed with you that it would be a good start for me.

Knowing the course like the back of my hand (I lived in Annapolis for years and many of these roads were ones that I did my road racing training on) I had an advantage throughout the course.  Same thing goes for the run.

Hope you stuck around for the awards!  I believe they were going 5 deep which means you got hardware!!  That rocks!

2007-09-10 7:20 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Great race Z5!!! You are such a stud!

Yes, the number of orange cones were amazing. I am guessing that maybe 100 cops were on duty too????? Are there that many cops in AA County? Amazing!

2007-09-10 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Enjoyed the RR - great performance.  Thanks for dropping Dobbs' name when you saw him... used to x-country coach an an opposing Anne Arundel team for a few really rough seasons.  Let's just say the maturity and motivation of the athletes on each team reflected the comparative fitness of the coaches!

Edited by JoshKaptur 2007-09-10 7:21 AM
2007-09-10 8:02 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Another great finishing time at Annapolis! Enjoyed reading the race report.
2007-09-10 8:59 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
5/155 looks like a damn good day to me.  Nice job!

2007-09-10 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Nice race! Congrats on the top 5. 

Ernie

2007-09-10 12:23 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
great race all around. Top 5 in your AG is truly impressive.  Solid work.  With a good taper you should do great at Nutmeg.  Nice to finally meet you, too!
2007-09-10 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran

Great race Mr. Speedy!!!   Way to go with finishing in the top 5, congrats!!!!

2007-09-10 7:29 PM

Veteran
Dang, Glenn, I need to keep better track of your training.... last I knew, you were just breaking in the Newtons in the hopes that you would be able to have a somewhat competitive run again, and now I see nearly 7'/mi??? EXCELLENT JOB!! All around, something that I'm sure you'll be smiling about for a goos couple of weeks; then of course, you'll somehow top it! Again, congrats! ~ Joe
2007-09-10 9:05 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

WOW!  Great job, Mr. Top 5.  Awesome race report... and I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that every time you mentioned a landmark I was thinking about my old stomping grounds... something about getting engaged on city dock... married on Church Circle... brother at USNA... oh wait... this isn't about me.  Right

In all seriousness, congratulations on a fantastic race.

2007-09-11 9:35 AM

No warmup, bagging your wetsuit, sharp turns and grassy runs. Sounds like you had some challenges to overcome and you still turned out a good swim (yes, good - you're too hard on yourself), a phenominal bike and solid sub-8s on the run. I think this was a good Top of the Pack performance. Be proud. Tink OOO
2007-09-11 10:18 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Great job!  That run course does sound a bit convoluted.  But maybe your ugly shoes slowed you down. 

j/k--looks like a pretty solid pace after a strong ride.  Nice work.

2007-09-13 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
What a performance you put on!  Congratulations on the top 5.  Those Nutmegers aren't going to know what hit 'em!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Annapolis Triathlon Rss Feed