Columbia Triathlon Association
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 54s
Overall Rank = 88/1249
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/159
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, took the dog out, loaded things in the car, went to Bloom and bought two Clif Bars and a Gatorade, drove to the race venue.

This was a two separate transition event so we had to go to the stadium to set up the bike-to-run and then hop on a bus and go set up the swim-to-bike. We were also given a large bag to put our stuff in after exiting the water and then we would dump that in a box and they would bring that back to the T2 location for later retrieval.
Event warmup:

Put wetsuit on, briefly stretched, jumped in water and tread water until our wave went off.
Swim
  • 30m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

At the horn I was in the middle/back of the pack and wanted to make a point of staying in the washing machine to get some practice doing that. It was pretty chaotic until the first turn, and even then didn't settle in as much as I would have liked.

I made a strong effort to swim freestyle as much as possible and did pretty well all things considered, about 85 - 90% or so. The breast stroke I did was mainly for sighting issues and to redirect myself whan I got off course or ran into people.

Because there were a lot of boats on the out part of the loop and the sea wall on the return it was a lot easier to stay on course without sighting a lot. But my issue was that I never got into any real rhythm. As soon as I got going well I'd run into someone (even though I was usually going pretty straight) and it would disrupt me so I'd go into breast stroke to get in the clear or back on course.

The return portion I primarily used the sea wall so I was able to stay a little more consistent, but was also starting to get a little tired. Got to the ramp, they yanked me out of the water and I shuffled to the transition.

My watch time was in the mid 31's, but the race timing had me just over 30 and my goal was to break 30. What that meant was that what I had for my T1 time was wrong compared to what I thought.
What would you do differently?:

More open water swim practice, try to find someone to pratice drafting off of, gain more confidence in group swims. I tried to stay calm as much as possible and just go with the flow. This is not my strength sport at all so I just need to gain experience and get better over time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

Because of the longer run to my rack and the longish run from there to the mount line I decided to do shoes on the bike which I do about half the time, so that worked okay except getting up to speed that way going up Main Street (which is almost immediately a hill) was a challenge, so I lost a bit of time there - but that was factored into the bike time, not the T1. I was just dog azz slow here, no real excuse as to why other than I didn't run from the ramp to the bike, I walked .....

At Eagleman I watched the LOTR Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition in T1, today I just watched the theatrical version. I'm taking way too long to get out of there .......
Bike
  • 57m 39s
  • 23.6 miles
  • 24.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Out of transtion I heard a "That's got to be Rick Carter" and looked over and saw Glenn (wyecrab) who was also getting started (even though he started the swim 5 minutes after me). He was on the bike and up the road pretty fast. Knowing he is a great all-arounder I wanted to get up to him as quick as possible so he didn't totally kick my azz! ;-)

I had a little bit of an issues getting into the shoes and knowing that the first hill starts right as you go up Main Street and around the circles that I needed to get into them fast. Once I did that I used him as a marker and paced with him. Once we were up on the flat at Rowe I cut it loose and started my hammer session. Had a little bit of a time getting the HR under control, but finally did after about 3 miles or so.

This is my sport, and I make no bones about the fact that I'd rather go ballz out on the bike and ruin the run than do anything else. I love to ride and I love to go fast!! It is the road racer that was me in my previous excercise life. There is absolutely nothing as satisfying to me as flying by everyone on the course and feeling the legs pushing hard. I didn't care if it was someone in my AG or someone in another, they were all marked and used as slingshots to the next person.

Drinking was good, took a big shot of Gu about a 1/4 of the way into it and just kept the head down and tucked in. I was probably always in the 28 - 30 mph range on the flats and made sure to spin fast and in the small chainring on the few longer hills. I was in the big ring the majority of the time though and just let the legs do what they were best at.

I got passed by ONE person on the ride, and that was early and he was a West Pointer. Two of the top three overall amateurs were West Pointers so I'm pretty sure that was one of them. Later on in the ride another one went by me but we flipped-flopped the rest of the ride and I would have beaten him into the transition if I wasn't futzing with getting out of my shoes (going up the small rise in the parking lot going to T2).

Not much ..... maybe get into and out of my shoes better so I can maintain speed. Basically I rocked the bike, no bones about it. One of the top 2% times overall. I know the course well, so had no surprises.

Blackbird continues to prove her mettle and was worth every penny spent on her. And I don't care what people say .... the Zipps with tubulars are the bomb and the fastest wheelset out there!! I seriously doubt I could go faster with the Slowtwitch issued Disc/Tri spoke with clinchers. ;-P
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Not blazing because I was having issues with the shoes. The lining at the bottom of the left shoe slid and bunched up so I had to take it off and reset it and put it back on and had to kneel to do it. I was trying to move at a decent pace knowing that my T1 sucked, but today was just not my transition day.

I didn't wear socks as that adds time, but in retrospect that might have helped with a later problem that I had as well as solve the insert sliding issue.
Run
  • 42m 21s
  • 6.29 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, what to say about the run. I was only passed by 3 people and none of them were in my AG. But I just wasn't that motivated to push the pace. I knew I was moving along at an okay rate because of passing people, but it felt sluggish. My HR was in the mid 170's while in a stand alone 10k I'm usually upper 180's. So I wasn't really working to my usual level, nor did I really want to.

The run was challenging with a bit of grass running to give it that x-country feel and wound and looped around the stadium and the adjacent roads. They changed the course within the last few days which made it a bit easier than I expected though. If they had gone the original route they planned it would have been even more hilly. As it was it was rolling for a bit, but nothing to really take all the speed out of you.

Both feet started getting "hot" on the outside of the arch. I figured it was because I was running sockless and had dumped a few waters down my back and that made my shoes squishy. I ended up with two long thin blisters, one on each foot in the same location. (After the race I realized that both shoes had rips in the same location along the outside edge. My skin was slipping through it which caused the blisters. Good thing I'd already ordered a replacement pair of the Saucony Fastwitch Speeds that I use for racing).

I did make a point of checking out the AG markings on the calves and making sure I got by everyone from my AG, but I really didn't care if I passed others or not. As we neared the stadium (the finish was on the 50 yard line of the field) two guys passed me, one Army dude who was 20 and another with nothing on his calf. So I asked him, "Before I sprint, what AG are you?" He was like, "Uh, 40." So I said, "That's good, no sprint then, have at it and cruise on in!"

Which is exactly what I did.

Not be complacent. I really didn't feel like pushing here like I should have. I should have had no problem going 2 or 3 minutes faster than this. Double check my shoes the night before ......
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around looking for my parents and Mir and the kids. Found my parents who were standing at the finishing chute but didn't really see me finish. That's too bad, but it is kind of my fault for not telling them what I was wearing! DOH!! ;-P

Mir got stuck in all the traffic so didn't get there until about 20 minutes after I finished. But we sat around with the kids and watched all the other finishes and just had a nice relaxing time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My damn swim!!!! Falling asleep in transitions. Motivation to really push the run.

Event comments:

This was the inaugural for the event but because the Columbia Tri Assoc. was running it, it was exceptionally organized with tons of volunteers and was a fantastic race. I hope they get the approvals to continue doing it as I will definitely sign up again!

But racewise, here's the thing that kills me. I had the 2nd fastest bike split in my Age Group and even with a sub-par run I was 5th in the Age Group for that!! I lost 2-1/2 - 3 minutes in transitions to the top of the AG and around 4 minutes or so on the swim. And even with half of that time back and if my run had been up to my standard I would easily have broken 2:10 and been top 5 in the AG. So I am slightly disappointed overall even though I went under my realistic goal of 2:20.

But I killed the bike, which is where I have my fun!! ;-)

Last updated: 2007-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:04 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 81/159
Overall: 403/1249
Performance: Below average
173 HR average
Suit: Desoto T1 Black Pearl Bibjohn
Course: Rectangular loop counterclockwise through the harbor around the boats.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:57:39 | 23.6 miles | 24.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/159
Overall: 20/1249
Performance: Good
167 HR average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back through downtown and along Generals Highway and through Herald Harbor.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:21 | 06.29 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/159
Overall: 57/1249
175 HR average
Course: Winding loop around the stadium, out and back loop on Rowe Blvd. and then out and back to the Severn River Academy bridge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-09 9:06 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: Annapolis Triathlon

2007-09-10 12:39 AM
in reply to: #957404

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-09-10 7:13 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Annapolis Triathlon
Nice RR.  I'm impressed you can kill the bike and have such an impressive "unmotivated" run like that!

Edited by JoshKaptur 2007-09-10 7:14 AM
2007-09-10 7:15 AM

Elite
Reston VA

Something must have been in the air, because I had an "unmotivated" run too!

I forgot that you were racing! Wish I would have remembered because I would have looked for you!

2007-09-10 7:55 AM

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Great Race! Super fast bike!

I've come across some of your race logs in the past. Our races look very similar (although I can't crush the bike like that). Swimming is my achilles heal as well. Like you, I can't help but think how much higher I could place with a good swim. Good luck at IMFL.

Looks like you crossed the line about 1 minute behind me (I was in the 7:05 wave 30-34). You didn't happen to see the volunteers carrying somebody to the medical tent. That was me. Can't believe I passed out at the finish line.....although I recovered quickly.
2007-09-10 9:23 AM

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Great race, Rick. Your bike split was just sick. I couldn't keep sight of those blue Gu bottles for very long. Exceptional run, as well. Iron out the wrinkles in the swim and transitions and watch out.

2007-09-10 9:38 AM

Regular
Middletown, DE
Great race!  That are some blazing fast bike & run splits. 
2007-09-10 9:39 AM

Master
Reston, VA
Very nice race and great RR. Keep working on that swim and it will come around. Good luck in FL!
2007-09-10 9:50 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Nice race.  Glad you had fun out there. 
2007-09-10 11:19 AM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Rick,

Nice race.  I'm sure that the swim will come around.  Look how much better it's gotten since Eagleman two years ago.  Congrats.

Ernie

2007-09-10 12:39 PM

Master
SMIBville
nice race! great ride split.  your swim keeps improving so it's not all bad there.  just keep plugging away in the water and focusing on your form/get filmed/coached/critiqued and super comfy in OWS situations and you'll be sub 2:10 before you know it.

2007-09-10 12:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Nice Race...by the way, I hope you mean they were Mids (from Navy) and not West Pointers (Army). The Navy team are actually the Collegiate Champs so they have some good athletes...and of course they are my alma mater so I am biased! Alas...the results do show some Army in the top ten....and some Navy.

Edited by Monty 2007-09-10 1:02 PM
2007-09-10 1:51 PM

Expert
Michiana

Super race!

"My HR was in the mid 170's while in a stand alone 10k I'm usually upper 180's. "

I think my heart would break through my chest.  You're an animal.

2007-09-10 1:54 PM
in reply to: #958299

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I know Middies (as I was NAPS c/o '92 and was c/o '96 at the Academy before resigning), and I know my West Pointers.  Unfortunately Army (from what I could see) put the smack down at this race.  And yes, the one guy who passed me was a West Pointer and the other I flip flopped with was also one.

I actually made the subconscious mistake of saying "Go Navy" when the cadet passed me ..... then I was like, "Wow, I mean, Go Army."

2007-09-10 2:53 PM

Elite
Muskego, WI
Way to make that Felt proud Rick!!!!  I say you sell me that used POS and get the new one with the gold trim and matching wheels. 
2007-09-11 7:01 AM

Regular
Arnold, MD

Great race!  I know EXACTLY how you feel - for me, nothing beats the speed and rush you get on the bike course!  Get that swim in order and you will be unstoppable!

Great Job!

Brandon

2007-09-11 2:27 PM

Champion
South Jersey

Great job out there, Rick! Way to post an AWESOME bike split and then follow that up with a strong, albeit unmotivated, run. But, of course, we know it's all because of the wheelset . Just think, if you work on the swim and stop taking coffee breaks during transition, you'll be racing in the 2:05-2:10 range . Sorry to hear about the shoe situation. I'm glad to learn it should be worked out for IMFL.

That's a bummer your family missed the finish. Did they have to drive from the swim start to the finish while you were on the bike and run?

Keep up the good work! Glad it was a good day and your parents got to be there.

2007-09-11 2:27 PM

Champion
South Jersey

Great job out there, Rick! Way to post an AWESOME bike split and then follow that up with a strong, albeit unmotivated, run. But, of course, we know it's all because of the wheelset . Just think, if you work on the swim and stop taking coffee breaks during transition, you'll be racing in the 2:05-2:10 range . Sorry to hear about the shoe situation. I'm glad to learn it should be worked out for IMFL.

That's a bummer your family missed the finish. Did they have to drive from the swim start to the finish while you were on the bike and run?

Keep up the good work! Glad it was a good day and your parents got to be there.

2007-09-12 12:02 PM

Expert
Nice race. Very nice bike split. Good work.
2007-09-12 1:46 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I'd say you blew that 2:20 goal out of the water.  24+ on the bike is smokin!  But you know you could save .0035 seconds with clinchers and that tri-spoke.  don't kid yourself.  :P

Your steady state run was at a nice clip man.  Keep up that work.

2007-09-14 3:56 PM

Master
Des Moines, Iowa

Great race! ( I know you say 'slightly disappointed'....but for us mortals that's an awesome time ).

Good job!

2007-09-15 4:18 PM

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Kick Bike dude!!! I would kill for your "sluggish" pace!! Nice race!!
2007-09-17 10:53 AM

Veteran
Centreville, MD
That bike split of yours was incredible!  An you followed it up with a super run!  Congrats!
2007-09-17 1:48 PM
in reply to: #958455

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Daremo - 2007-09-10 1:54 PM

I know Middies (as I was NAPS c/o '92 and was c/o '96 at the Academy before resigning), and I know my West Pointers.  Unfortunately Army (from what I could see) put the smack down at this race.  And yes, the one guy who passed me was a West Pointer and the other I flip flopped with was also one.

I actually made the subconscious mistake of saying "Go Navy" when the cadet passed me ..... then I was like, "Wow, I mean, Go Army."

You should have just yelled "Whoop Whoop"
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Annapolis Triathlon Rss Feed