Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 22s
Overall Rank = 166/872
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 22/122
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00am
Had Oatmeal breakfast bar and Gatorade AM 20oz
Arrived at the stadium right at 5am and got run transition setup and headed for the bus transfer to the bike transition. Got my transition area set, bike got knocked over (which will turn out to be a recurring theme, but no harm done. Downed one more bottle of gatorade while waiting, and had 1 gel 30 minutes prior to my wave start.
Event warmup:

Got into the water right at the start of my wave. Spent 5 minutes swimming to warm up getting arms loose. Water was very comfortable, 77 degrees.
Swim
  • 26m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did as well as could be expected given lack of pool time lately. Felt good at start, but was fading towards the end. Found myself spotting quite a bit towards the end, which was wasting more time.
What would you do differently?:

More swim training prior to event.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Get to transition area to find bike knocked off rack and aero bottle emptied on the ground. Quickly got out of suit and put helmet and glasses on. slipped socks and shoes on, picked up the bike and ran for the bike start - overall pretty quick transition - just unhappy about being down 20oz of fluids.
What would you do differently?:

Ensure bike is stable on rack. Hooked by seat so front was facing out - must have been hit by someone coming out, since the aisles were a bit narrow.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 35s
  • 23.12 miles
  • 22.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed the bike hard - given my groin injury and not knowing how it would hold up for the run, I wanted to get as much time as I could on the bike. I pushed hard, maintaining a solid pace for the entire distance. As I neared the finish, I pushed hard, knowing that I would be close to breaking 1 hour. In the end, I missed it by 35 seconds, but was still quite happy, averaging 23.4mph on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Great transition - feet were out of shoes, bike racked and helmet off almost at the same time. jumped into shoes, grabbed race belt and took off for the run.
Run
  • 53m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Priot to the race, I was hoping for 9 minute miles. My left groin had been bothering me when running, and was limiting my run pace in training. I had pretty much rested most of the week, which must have really helped. I felt good (well as good as one feels running a 10k after swimming and biking) and pushed through. There weren't any mile markers on the course, or if there were, I missed them in my suffering. I pushed through, working to maintain pace and watching my HR as the guide. I kept an eye on my time, and as I neared the finish, it looked like finishing under 54 minutes was a chance. I kept working to increase my pace, and pushed through to the finish - my reward: 8:34 pace! My leg was killing me and hurt just to stand - but I finished strong!
Post race
Warm down:

MASSAGE!

ICE on Left thigh

Lots fluids, 1 banana, fig newtons, granola bar

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg injury

Event comments:

Great race - well organized - LOTS of cones and volunteers.

Mile markers on the run would have been a + :-)

Last updated: 2007-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:51 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/122
Overall: 205/872
Performance: Average
AVG 166
Suit: sleevless
Course: Counter clockwise loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:35 | 23.12 miles | 22.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/122
Overall: 63/872
AVG 169
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills - Course went from the City dock up main street and out around the state circle. Headed right up Rowe Blvd, past the mall and then out Generals Highway. Nice course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:14 | 06.21 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/122
Overall: 386/872
AVG 169
Course: Course started out with a big loop around the academy stadium, and then headed down Rowe Blvd toward downtown. After looping back towards the stadium, runners were tortured by running away from the stadium down to the river and halfway across the bridge - which = hills. After another turn around, it was back to the stadium for a finish on the 50 yard line of the football field!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1.5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-09 10:32 PM

User image

Regular
Arnold, MD
Subject: Annapolis Triathlon

2007-09-10 7:24 AM
in reply to: #957484

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Annapolis Triathlon

Thanks for the RR - way to tough it out on the injured leg.  Nice top in your avatar!

Were I not aiming for savageman in 7 days, I would have loved to be a part of this one.

2007-09-10 8:23 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Great race! Another fast bike. Too bad your groin was bothering you because you were on your way to crushing this course.
2007-09-10 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Great race. Shame about the injury, because you were definitely posting awesome splits up to the run. Very nice race.
2007-09-10 8:54 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Great race even with an injury!

Good job keeping your composure after finding your bike on the ground. I would have been ANGRY!!

2007-09-10 8:56 AM
in reply to: #957771

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Exactly.  Just imagine what you coulad have done with an injury free race!!

Congrats on the awesome swim and bike splits.  Heal up and the run will come back to you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Annapolis Triathlon Rss Feed