General Discussion Race Reports! » PrairieMan Half Triathlon-Aquabike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

PrairieMan Half Triathlon-Aquabike - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Prairie, Texas
United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 14m
Overall Rank = 21st /10
Age Group = 40ish
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

woke up repeatedly through the night as new dog Jack kept shaking his head so hard his ears flapping would wake me up, finaly got up check his ears had the usually bagel and peanut butter. since it was early and the race wouldn't start for a few hours I had a yogurt also.. slammed a ice cold monster energy drink while driving there
Event warmup:

Just a quick swim to loosen up, talked with Clint,Ken and Tommy. Saw Aaron passing out chips
Swim
  • 43m 55s
  • 2140 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Ok let me preface this by sayingn that in the past 10 wks I've done just over 11,000 meters so barely 1,000,meters a week, not great prep for a swim, While I'm not a fast swimmer I'm confident enough in the water that I really slack off on swimmming and it came back to get me today. that said it was a great swim in that I went out at a nice pace and kept it the whole time.. no stopping to sight or take breaks.. when I could feel myself getting a bit winded I would focus on gliding more. I thought I was drafting great off the shiny feet in front of me, but it was my own hands :( I just couldn't find someone to stick with for drafting. so I struck out on my own. My sighting was great about every 6-7 stroke I'd peek my head up which was enough to keep my online. things thinned out in our wave pretty quickly. there were some small waves from some boat's wake but I was able to surf it after I turned the bouy coming towards shore.
What would you do differently?:

find someone to draft off from the start
Transition 1
  • 04m 52s
Comments:

I did this transition a bit different I had a small generator and popped some popcorn to eat, checked my phone for some messages and surfed the web a bit. then saw Clint come into T1 and decided to get going.. or at least these are things I could have done for the amount of time I was there.. I got out of the water fine was doing a nice easy jog to T1 and just before the water stop, something just didnt' feel right started walking, got to my stuff, bent down to get my stuff and Boom!! big time dizziness, so I just stood there waiting for the world to stop spinning. I knew it was bad since I could see a volunteer watching me then he started coming over to ask if I'm ok. I'm thinking of all the dumb ?'s you get asked for head injury's like "what day is it" where are you, who's the president. so hopefully I can stall long enough to allow this all to pass, He keep telling me to sit down but I was able to convince him that I thought I had a cramp coming and was doing preventative maintance stretching.. I think it was the lack of my swim endurance that caused it... after I got back to seeing straight I was able to get going, was able to get on my bike easy enough, got up to speed and was slipped into my shoe's no prob

actually train for a swim event. all that being said it could have been worse
Bike
  • 3h 03m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

things went well, I was taking in fluids well, used the camelback the whole way for H20, and just got the hand up for gatoraid, used that and shot blocks for my calories apx 300-350 an hour, on 3rd lap just didn't think I could stomach any more shot blocks so had the sport beans, (impossible to open package) the big negative was I left my sunglasses in the car so by the 3rd lap it was bohering my eyes a lot. I wanted to go harder the last 1/2 of the 4th lap and was doing well when pffsst.. my rear wheel goes flat, just before 50 miles,, no shade around so I pull over to change the tire, a marshall stopped and told me he was calling the sag wagon for me, talked with him a minute or two then got back to the tire, Unfortunately I screwed up a co2 cartridge without realizing it, so I figured I'd just get the tire ready and when the waggon showed up I'd let them pump it up,, while waiting for them I thought I'd look around and hope someone dropped a cartridge or a hand pump thinking stranger things have happened to me before and presto bango,,, guess what I found a co2 cartridge,, in my wedge bag,, I forgot that I packed two just in case.. so I get the tired pumped up just as the SAG truck pulls up beside me, so I let them top off my tire and get ready to go when BOOOOM!! the tire explodes..from too much air,, so i yell at them before they leave and get a new tire and tube but on. so my time is the actual ride time,, I was there almost 20 min. other than that this was a great ride, I should have put more surscreen on, but it was a good pace without killing my legs,
It's hard to say though since I had a long break,, that might be misleading me into thinking that I wasn't as tired at the end. but up to that point I was feeling better good, if anything my back stiffened up while waiting and could really feel it going aero after the flat tire break.

change the tier faster, bring spare for two flat's
Post race
Warm down:

did a great dismount into transition but we had to leave t2 and run across the finish line,, I remembered that I had a pair of shoe's in my bag so I dug them out, found an extra pair of shorts, got my car keys so I could head back to my car since I didn't think I'd be allowed back into transition, and my t2 time and run time were still good, in fact I was glad to see that my legs weren't feeling bad for the short run [which I did quickly] then again I had a long break for the flat. took a quick dip in the lake to cool off, had some pizzia, got to meet ashley at the awards, actually got an award for 2nd in my AG ..{out of two } I had to get going for some other issue's going on,

What limited your ability to perform faster:

somehow I have this razor burn on my arm,, I was wearing my tri shirt while swimming so it might have rubbed there or on my HR monitor.

I'm in no where near the shape I was hoping I'd be in with Longhorn coming up soon, but for my very limited swim training, things went well..

Event comments:

I can't coordinate three friends coming over to watch the game and get the food/drinks right so the fact that jack does things so well impresses me, It's comforting to know that he is watching every detail to make it safe

Last updated: 2007-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:55 | 2140 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/10
Performance: Good
avg HR 123
Suit: n ope
Course: triangle course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:03:00 | 56 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/10
Performance: Good
looked down and saw my HR at 240 sometimes, other time it was 78,, so I'm thinking it wasn't reading correctly.. when I was looking at it and thought it was working my HR was around 140's
Wind: None
Course: 4 loop course
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-09 11:42 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: PrairieMan Half Triathlon-Aquabike

2007-09-10 8:09 AM
in reply to: #957516

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: PrairieMan Half Triathlon-Aquabike
Great job Gary!  Two words....Body GLide!! 
2007-09-10 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Tough break with the flats.  Been there, and it's so frustrating!  Your swim time was great, especially considering you really haven't put much time into it.

Always good to see you, and congrats on a solid race.  Sounds like this was a great training prep for Longhorn.

2007-09-10 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job Gary! You're going to do awesome at Longhorn!
2007-09-10 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Great race, glad to hear you had some time to pop some popcorn and surf the web during T1, I 'm sure that helped you to mentally prepare for the bike part.
2007-09-10 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

I didn't get offered any popcorn!!  Frown  Man, I see how it is! Smile

Great race, fellow Aquabiker!  I can't believe your misfortune with 2 flats, but it looks like you really overcame the obstacle to finish strong.  Well done!  It was great to meet you! 

2007-09-10 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job Gary! That was a great swim! Look, I do about 2:00 minute per 100 in open water... and I train like 4,000 yards a week... and swimming in the only thing I'm good at. So yea, you smoked it!

I would love you see your average on the bike without the flat. VERY FAST!

Congratulations!

OH... and great job on placing 2nd in your AG.
2007-09-10 3:09 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Good race considering the flat and lack of swim training.  I think you will be fine at longhorn since you have a month till then.
2007-09-11 11:37 AM

User image

"looked down and saw my HR at 240 sometimes"

Did you look at your watch and say "oh crap, this is it!"

Hopefully you've made sacrifice to the "flat" gods and they will leave you alone for Longhorn!!!

Great job on Sunday!!!

2007-09-11 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Great race, Gary.  Sorry, I missed you.  I came late.

You're like me.  I practice swimming just barely enough to get by.  You did great on the swim though.

See ya at Longhorn. 

2007-09-11 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race...especially the swim, considering you really didn't train for it.  Good to see you at the race.

TJ

2007-09-12 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

Looks like this was an excellent warm-up for Longhorn. Well done, GGGGGaaaaarrrrryyyyy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PrairieMan Half Triathlon-Aquabike Rss Feed