Sunny
Total Time = 7h 19m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0540, got dressed, ate a bagel and headed out the door
Event warmup:

A few minutes swimming in the water to get my wetsuit wet and figure out just how cold the water was
Swim
  • 47m 25s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim felt very comfortable. Navigated well around the 2 turns, but coming into the shore, you couldn't see the bouys because of the sun, and because they weren't were everyone was expecting them to be. On the map it looked like it was a rectangular course and when you came around the last bouy it was actually triangular and you needed to cut way into the shore, but most people just went straight into shore making the swim a lot longer than it needed to be. I followed those people for a bit, but progress coming back in to shore was slow because I just couldn't get a good feel for where I was supposed to be swimming towards. I found one of the guys in a kayak and asked him to point me in the right direction and I was way off course (along with most of the rest of the people out there), and headed back into shore. I cut my foot on a rock coming in to shore, which created major problems for the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Not cut my foot, not get lost! :-p
Transition 1
  • 05m 31s
Comments:

This transition was soooo long. It was about a half mile from the swim to transition, so hard to judge what a good transition time would have been. This was 5 out of 15 in my age group- so not too bad. The path was very rocky in parts, so it was difficult to run on it, slowing me down quite a bit. Bike rack position was good though- towards the front of the transition area. Wetsuit came off fairly well (especially considering I really didn't practice getting it off much) and the rest of the transition went ok. I dropped one of my Clif bars twice heading out of transition- very frustrating!

Not drop my clif bars (maybe get a bento box before IM AZ). Not have to run a half mile :-p
Bike
  • 3h 42m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.09 mile/hr
Comments:

A pretty bad bike leg for me. The cut on my foot made it feel like I had glass digging into the bottom of my foot for most of the ride. I drank 3 full bottles of water throughout the course, but apparently that wasn't enough (see the run comments section).
My new positioning was not that comfortable, and my feet fell asleep pretty quickly, causing my calves to cramp up. I finally got off my bike to get circulation back in my calves on Little Creek Dam Road, and took off my shoe to look at my foot, thinking there was something in it (there wasn't).
My pace was much slower than I would have liked it, mostly because I lost so much power because my calves were cramping. I did pass two people on Carwash hill/Jolly Pond, but overall was a disappointing ride for me. Also, I didn't realize that it was a 57 mile course, so I got pretty pissed at riding over the 56 mile marker and not getting off the bike :-p

Drink more water, adjust my positioning to make sure my feet don't fall asleep. More longer rides to make sure I won't lose power over the distance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Stopped to put on more sunscreen and body glide, grabbed a drink of water and headed off.

Make sure I got sunscreen on my back, not just my arms (maybe try out the spray sunscreen).
Run
  • 2h 41m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was just miserable for the first half. I was dehydrated, and wasn't sweating at all by the time I hit the run course (not a good sign), also with the cut on my foot and the cramps in my calves I wasn't going anywhere very fast. Having Josh at the 1-mile rest stop was a huge lifesaver, because I was just about in tears when I saw him, and he convinced me just to keep moving (always good advice). For the first 5 miles, I pretty much walked, with a bit of running when I could. I concentrated on getting hydrated and cooled off, and started taking two cups of water at each rest stop, one to dump over my head and one to drink. Around mile 6 (when you finally hit some shade) I was actually able to start running in between rest stops and just concentrated on running from stop to stop, and actually managed to keep up a pretty good pace and started passing people (yay!). I saw Steve, which was awesome-- it was so great to see someone I knew! From mile 6 back, I just concentrated on running (I figured since I was miserable and just wanted to get off my foot, at least I would get off it faster if I ran).
About mile 9 or 10, a blister I didn't know I had popped and started leaking out my shoe (gross!)-- this was caused by me altering my stride to avoid putting pressure on my cut foot. But at this point, I really didn't care what else hurt- kind of maxed out on pain, etc so it didn't make much of a difference except grossing me out :-p. Getting back to Josh at the first water stop and heading into the finish was the best feeling though, you can't beat that feeling of crossing that finish line and finally getting to sit down!!!

Pretty much everything- not cut my foot, not get dehydrated before I even started the run. Although I think once I got on the run course I did the smart thing, and worked on taking care of the problems I was having (or at least the ones in my control) instead of just trying to force myself to run and possibly going down and not finishing the race. Disappointing to have such a slow run (about half an hour slower than I have ever run a half before), but nice to be able to say that I negative-split the half marathon at the end of my HIM! I ran about 9:30 to 10:00 splits for the last 4 miles, and overall ran the second half 25 minutes faster than my first half.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

In order: getting lost, cut foot, rocks, dehydration, leg cramps, dehydration again, cut foot again :-p

Event comments:

Considering that I had essentially the worst race of my life, and had a harder course than last year, to finish in the same time I did last year really tells me that I would have been able to do so much more, and makes me feel confident that I can finish the Ironman in April (although I do have to say that I'm incredibly nervous about it!)

Last updated: 2007-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:25 | 1931 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 2 Longjohn
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:42:43 | 56 miles | 15.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/15
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Lonely - pretty hilly, although not big hills- just rolling. Road condition was not great, and sucked up speed early in the course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:41:43 | 13.1 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/15
Performance: Below average
Course: HOT and SUNNY!!!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 6:59 AM

Veteran
Newmarket, Suffolk
Subject: Patriot's Half 2007

2007-09-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: #957600

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: Patriot's Half 2007

I think you did an awesome job!! This was NOT a flat course and with a cut on your foot you manged to suck it up and finish! Many dropped out, You ROCK!!!

2007-09-10 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC

Good for you, especial gutting it out with a cut foot!!  That was a looonnng rough transition from the swim. I cut my foot too, but I was just the swimmer for a relay team so I was done.

And I did SAME thing after the second buoy. I sighted on the pontoon boat because that was the only thing I could see, I didn't see an orange buoy until the last one, when I cut over. One of my friends was friends with a race official, and she said ~100 people did that, and that it was an extra 500-800 m.  Frustrating.

But a nice swim up until that point.

Nice job on the half!

2007-09-10 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Way to tough it out through the pain.  We all found out how hot it can be out there.  Josh was right when he said just keep  moving.  That was my motto the entire run!

Way to go.

2007-09-10 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job! It was a long hot day out there.
2007-09-10 11:38 AM

User image

Williamsburg
Great job! I know it was tough out there for you, but you persisted despite adversity and finished, which is amazing! Having people out there that you know makes a huge difference, so I'm glad you were able to see Josh and gain strength from him. Smart move to address the problem you had and could control. I'm sorry I couldn't stick around after the race to congratulate you then (I blame all the homework I have). I think you did a fantastic job!

And yes, that run up to transition after the swim was awful! We had the same run for the Lady Patriot and those rocks hurt!!

Awesome job! I'm proud of you!

-Carrie

2007-09-10 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia

You did great, the heat was tough on Sat, but we made it. It was good to see you also on the walk(run), I was looking  for you. And hey  it is cool I made it into your race report. Again great job and you will do great in you IM, just keep the training going.

2007-09-11 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Let's see, two of my favorite words come to mind after reading your r/r...Tenacity and Persistence.  You reminded me of The Little Engine That Could.  Great job sticking it out!
2007-09-14 8:01 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

excellent job hanging in there.  Can't say exactly how many folks cut their feet on those blasted rocks.  I got mine during the Lady Patriot--even after warning a few people to watch out for them since at least 4 people from the HIM got theirs...

Good luck at IMAZ!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot's Half 2007 Rss Feed