Genesis Adventures
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 58m 45s
Overall Rank = 53/70
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 7:30 and ate some granola with skim mile and two slices of wheat toast with PB. I had all my stuff laid out so I packed the car and was on the road by 8:00 AM. I stopped for a bottle of gatorade and a coffee for the 1 hour drive. Bridget was coming up later with the dog and her friend so I was solo on my trip.

Got to the site around 9:15 which was perfect for the 10:30 start. I registered and had a bike mech adjust my front derailluer which has been giving me problems. He didn't charge me but I gave him a $5 since he was really helpful. I also grabbed a water bottle and a CO2 from the vendor.

The race was small so transition was much less crowded than the Steelman Sprint I did at the same venue several weeks ago. Found a spot in a rack near the "bike out". I had transition set up in minutes and went down to the water for the start.
Event warmup:

Stood around looking nervous...
Swim
  • 24m 50s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the 2nd and final wave so I knew no one would be swimming over top of me. I pretty much just let everyone go and then started 20 seconds later. I just tried to relax and swim smooth and slow. This was only my 3rd open water swim and in the previous two I went out too hard. This was my best swim yet because I went at my own pace and tried to stay relaxed.

I drafted some and my sighting was good with the exception of the last leg where I veered off to the right a bit. I got out of the water feeling pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing besides more time in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I took my time since I had a 38 mile bike ride ahead of me. I also wanted to get my HR down a bit since the ride started with a nasty climb.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 13m 56s
  • 39.4 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike started with a nasty climb out of the park. Once I was out on the road I started with my nutrition. I had two gels for the ride and a bottle of gatorade and a bottle of water. Took a gel and some water right away and got into a groove. The 1st lap felt long but also felt good. There were some significant hills that caught me by surprise since it was the 1st time I've riddent the whole route.

I kept my cadence up in the climbs anbd tried to stay as upright as possible to get good oxygen flow. On the flats and downhills I was consistently in aero.

Stopped after the 1st loop to refill bottle with gatorade and grabbed a water bottle. Took a gel early during the 2nd loop. 2nd loop was much of the same except my pace was a bit slowed. I was getting a little tired and didn't want to blow up on the run.

Overall I was really happy with a 17.6 mph average on that course.

Train a bit more on hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Again I took more time than usual since this was a long race for me. I forgot to take my Garmin off the bike and put it on my wrist which kind of sucked. Other than that T2 was fine.

Remember my Garmin
Run
  • 1h 15m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh...worst run of my life. I knew almost immediately that I was in trouble. I was severely dehydrated and this run was going to be a struggle. I ran most of the 1st mile but after mile 1 there was a pretty big hill that I walked most of. At the top of the hill was the 1st aid station -- I took water and gatorade and was on my way.

Around mile 2 I started to cramp and had to mix walking and running. I didn't realized how hot it was while I was on the bike. The sun was just baking the road and many people were reduced to walking. At the turnaround I asked if they had salt tabs but no suck luck. It was chicken broth or pretzels -- I tried some broth and it seemed to help. I really should have taken some endurolytes which I had sitting in my bag at transition.

I felt better on the way back and only had to walk some. At the 4.5 mile aid station I took some more broth and gatorade and began the downhill back into the park. I ran most of the last 1.5 and was very happy to see the 6 mile marker. I kicked with whatever I had left for the last .2 and came down the chute with a big smile. I heard Bridget cheering from the left as I finished.

Take salt / endurolytes.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza and regular coke! And then some more pizza :)

Sat around with Bridget and the dog (Forrester our new Boston Terrier pup who was huge hit all day) and tried to relax.

I knew there weren't many Clydes so we waiting around for awards and surprise, suprise I placed 3rd in the Clyde division. I took home my 1st Tri-related trophy and a big bottle of Hammer Gel :) Sure I only beat one other clyde but I'll take it! I was only a minute behind the 2nd Clyde.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather and my lack of consistent training for the past 6 weeks.

Event comments:

Small fun race with good organization. I would do it again.

Last updated: 2007-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:50 | 1056 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 56/70
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Shorts / Top
Course: Clockwise Triangle. Once around.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:13:56 | 39.4 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Overall: 41/70
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 2 loops on roads around the lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:15:37 | 06.2 miles | 12m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 59/70
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on park trails and road.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
Subject: Endurasport Mini

2007-09-10 10:24 AM
in reply to: #957744

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Endurasport Mini
Great job - and congrats on getting some hardware!! Especially in Saturday's heat and humidity with that tough bike course.
2007-09-10 10:37 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

The heat made much of that "run" a death march for people.  I was almost laughing when I was out on the portion on 563 and just looking at dozens of people trudging along the highway (myself included).

Nice job sticking it out and earning some hardware too!

2007-09-10 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey buddy,

Nice race.  I really enjoyed the report and your warm up - "Stand around looking nervous" HA

Great job controlling the swim and outstanding Bike.  Your run sounds a lot like my first OLY up at Mooseman...ugh that day really sucked so I know how you felt during that run.

It will get easier and you get smarter as well.  Next time you might carry a few tablets, GU etc for the run. 

Glad you got in a longer TRI to end the season.  See you in Philly in a couple of months!

2007-09-11 6:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Remember me, I was the guy who was going to trade you $50 for your shades and hat.

Great race under those condition. Impressive biking considering your first time of that course.

Congrats on placing...
2007-09-11 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Great job on congrats on the hardware.  I did this race last year - it really is a small, fun, well run race.  And those hills are TOUGH!!!

2007-09-11 2:10 PM
in reply to: #959473

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

BrianO - 2007-09-11 6:28 AM Remember me, I was the guy who was going to trade you $50 for your shades and hat. Great race under those condition. Impressive biking considering your first time of that course. Congrats on placing...

Yeah, I remember.  You were looking strong even without the hat   That run was tough!  Nice race.

2007-09-11 2:13 PM
in reply to: #959132

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
TC117 - 2007-09-10 7:55 PM

Hey buddy,

Nice race.  I really enjoyed the report and your warm up - "Stand around looking nervous" HA

Great job controlling the swim and outstanding Bike.  Your run sounds a lot like my first OLY up at Mooseman...ugh that day really sucked so I know how you felt during that run.

It will get easier and you get smarter as well.  Next time you might carry a few tablets, GU etc for the run. 

Glad you got in a longer TRI to end the season.  See you in Philly in a couple of months!

Thanks!  It will be fun to have you down in Philly again.  Although I was a bit underprepared, I was glad I did a longer race this season.  Now I have some confidence going into next season.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Endurasport Mini Rss Feed