Setup Events
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 32s
Overall Rank = 47/143
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

This race took place at White Lake which is an hour drive from my house. The race start was 8:00. Since I picked up my race packet the day before the race, I decided to arrive at the race site at 7:00 (which meant leaving the house at 6:00). So, I got up at 5:00. I dressed in my red and black tri suit (2 piece). Then I ate breakfast: bagel w/peanut butter and a banana. Then I loaded my bike on the truck and grabbed my bag. We left the house right at 6:00. Since there was almost no traffic, we made it to the race site in about 45 minutes.
Event warmup:

I didn't do much of a warmup. I unloaded my bike and grabbed my bag and took them to the transition area. I went to get my timing chip and body marked. Then I went back and set up my transition area. By this time it was 7:30. So my DH & I headed down to the lake. I saw my sister on way. I spent the next 15 minutes talking to them. I got in the water at 7:45 and swam a couple times between the piers. That was the only warm-up I did.
Swim
  • 24m 15s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was fairly calm for today's swim. I started the swim towards the back of the pack and off to one side. I decided to try not to go out too fast. I started well and got into a rhythm pretty quickly. I settled into a pace that felt right and just kept swimming. I got kicked and bumped a few times, but nothing too bad. I felt pretty good about my swim. Then I got out of the water and realized just how much time I had spent in the water! I was just positive that I had swam better than that!!

Looking at the other swim times, it looks like the course may have been a little long (all times look a little slow), but not long enough to account for my time.
What would you do differently?:

The swim definitely lost me an age group award in this race. I was about 1 minute behind 3rd place and 6 minutes behind 2nd place. If I had swum at the pace I was capable of swimming, I would have at least placed 3rd.

SWIM FASTER!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

My transition went well (I had the fastest T1 time in my age group). It was a long run from the swim to my bike in the transition area (I had the first rack closest to the bike exit). I got to my bike, stepped into my water bucket (to wash off the sand and grass) and then put my wet feet right into my bike shoes (no socks). I put on my helmet and sunglasses. Then grabbed my bike and started running.

Maybe learn to leave shoes on bike and get into them during the ride??? But will need to buy tri shoes first. But I am pretty happy with my transition time.
Bike
  • 46m 18s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Since my swim had gone so poorly, I needed to make up some time on the bike. I did pretty well with this. I passed quite a few people during the bike (I was passed by 2 people). I averaged 20 mph for a lot of the course. But I had to slow a few times. There were a couple of times that I got behind a slower rider, but couldn't pass right away because the roads weren't closed (so I had to wait for cars to pass). Then at the end of the ride, they had up go up a narrow chute back to the transition area. I came in behind a person that thought she needed to slow to a crawl through this section. I lost a bit of time here because there was no way to go around her.

I held back slightly on the bike because I knew my best chance of making up time was on the run. I was worried about not leaving enough for the run. I should have gone harder on the bike and worried about the run when I got to it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

This transition went pretty well. I didn't have far to run with the bike. I got it racked fairly quickly. I took off my bike shoes and slipped into my running shoes (no socks, with speed laces). I took off my helmet. Then grabbed my hat and race number belt. I started running out of the transition area while putting on my hat and race number. Since my bike was close to the bike exit/entrance, it was a long run back to the run exit.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I had a lot of time to make up on this run. I wasn't wearing my Garmin, so I had no idea what my pace was. I just started running and hoped for the best. I passed a lot of people on the run. It seemed that all I did on the run was pass people. They had a water station at the 1 mile mark (so again at the 2 mile mark). I passed on the water. I didn't feel the need to stop for water, I had hydrated on the bike with Accelerade. I passed 5 people in my age group on the run (I was not passed by anyone on the run).

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I met my husband and sister at the finish line. My sister handed me a water, which I immediately started to drink. Then we walked over to the building with the food. I grabbed some orange slices and a little bag of granola bites. I ate those while we walked back to the car where I got the bag I brought with a change of clothes. I changed, cheered on other finishers, talked to a couple of people I saw from my Tri club and then waited for the race to end. They did the awards right after the race finish. The girl I saw from the tri club won 2nd place in her age group (25-29). I didn't pass enough people on my bike and run to place.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim. I need to keep working on my swim. Having a masters class here in Fayetteville would be nice!

Event comments:

This was a women's only race (the first annual for this race). It was a brand new race that I don't think a lot of people knew about (it was actually added suddenly in the middle of the year). So it turned out to be a small race (about 145 people). I liked that it was a small race. Next year will probably be a lot more crowded.

Last updated: 2007-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:15 | 820 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 125/143
Performance: Below average
Average HR for the swim was 161.
Suit: None
Course: The course was a triangle course. We started from a pier on the left. We swam out and to the left, then turned right and swam parallel to the shore, then turned right again and headed to a second pier to the right.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:18 | 14 miles | 18.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 39/143
Performance: Average
Average HR was 158.
Wind: Some
Course: The course was two 7 mile loops around White Lake. It was a pretty flat road (some slight hills). Most of the roads were good, but there was one section that was bumpy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:02 | 03.11 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 15/143
Performance: Good
Average HR was 172.
Course: The run was an out and back course. It was fairly flat with some small hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: Dash for Divas Sprint Triathlon

2007-09-10 11:17 AM
in reply to: #957875

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Dash for Divas Sprint Triathlon

Great race Carol.

You certainly are speedy runner and now I know a speedy biker as well.  That swim will come, I just know it! 

thanks for all the details in your report, felt like I was there with you. 

FWIW.....I also race in black in red    and I haven't mastered the shoes on bike start yet either (and I have TRI shoes), and I still wear socks .  

Congrats on a very nice race.  I like where your bike rack was...if given the choice that sounds perfect (rather run further without the bike than with).

You continue to amaze me.  someday I hope to be able to say I passed a bunch of people on the run!  SOMEDAY.

2007-09-11 9:35 PM
in reply to: #957875

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: RE: Dash for Divas Sprint Triathlon
Great Race.  All of your consistency is paying off.  You conquered the swim, which gave you so much trouble at the WLS, and you kicked A$$ on the bike and run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dash for Divas Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed