Set Up Events
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = relay
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

**We were a three-person relay team. I was (just) the swimmer. It was fun, but not the same level of accomplishment of all the amazing athletes out there pushing themselves. Kudos to all of them!

Ate a half bagel with my nifty peanut/flax seed pb. Water, and part of a diet coke. Drove with Sarah (our runner), Tracy (biker) had left earlier to pick up her packet and get her bike set up. Got body marked, joked around with our folks.
Event warmup:

It was wetsuit legal, but I opted not to wear mine. That water was WARM, and I would have overheated. I'm buoyant enough as it is.

Went into the water for a bit, checked where it was deep enough to start swimming. Looked at the buoys and the current. The water was chocolate brown and the current was light.
Swim
  • 45m 3s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm disappointed in my swim. Well, not in my swim, but in my navigation. The swim itself felt pretty great--I was moving smoothly and I angled the two turn buoys just right. Then there came the third, heading back to shore leg, that was where things, as they say, went awry.

The sun was directly in my eyes, and when I made the last turn, I looked around and didn't see the buoys. I did see a boat, so I sighted on that, thinking it was taking the place of a buoy. Swam with a bunch of other people. It was taking longer than it should have. Then I looked around and WAY off to the right I saw an orange buoy near shore, and a bunch of swimmers. Instead of the rectangle on the course map, it turned out to be a triangle in from the second turn. DAMN! I angled away from the boat to catch the line of the buoy on a diagonal. There was a little current, but what messed me up (other than totally mis-sighting) was how mad I got at myself. My form deteriorated, and what had been a really strong, comfortable swim became work. I paused to talk to a guy who had done the same thing and seemed to be flagging. I waited until a kayak came up and then went on. It didn't take long, though.

I got myself out of the water, promptly cut my toe, and ran/limped to T1 to hand off the chip.

A race official told us that many people did the same thing, and that we swam an extra 500-800m. Great.
What would you do differently?:

Sight correctly and not get so agitated. It was what it was, and I swam really well until that point. I'll work on being happy with that. :)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

It was a 1/2 mile from the swim exit to T1! Ran up a hill on a partly outdoor-carpeted, partly gravel road, then through a small field. I cut my toes up in several places.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe stash a pair of shoes at the exit.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 56 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2007-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:03 | 1931 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Did an extra 650 m. So did many other people. For 2600 meters that's not a bad time. For 1900, not good. I'd wanted 35-40 min.
Suit: didn't wear it
Course: The race map showed it as a rectangle coming straight out from shore, right turn, straight long second leg, another right, then straight back in. Didn't turn out that way. It was more triangular.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 56 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
Subject: Patriot's Half 2007

2007-09-10 10:51 AM
in reply to: #957920

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Patriot's Half 2007
Nice job with the swim! Navigation on that last leg was very tricky; I got lucky and just went straight toward shore and ended up pretty close to where I needed to be. Shoes to get to T1 would have been a great idea.
2007-09-10 4:17 PM
in reply to: #957920

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Patriot's Half 2007

deepbluesea - 2007-09-10 8:40 AM Great job on the race, and on psyching yourself back up each time you started to flag. The heat was brutal.

Thanks for the props - you are right - that last leg was seriously difficult to sight on.  I made the "bonus" trip too ... it's all good.

The heat was tough, but I guess it's nice to have a challenge like that and pop through it.  Great job on the swim!  BTW, I almost overheated in my wetsuit, and I had a sleeveless.  But, I love the buoyancy.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot's Half 2007 Rss Feed