Columbia Triathlon Association
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 31s
Overall Rank = 203/872
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 22/90
Pre-race routine:

Up at about 3:30. Whole wheat toast with pb&j and a glass of OJ. Hopped in the car and drove up to Naptown, had some water along the way. Got to the stadium pretty early, set up T1. Hopped a bus to the docks, set up T2. Found Dtraining and talked to him for a bit. Just hung around before it was time to get suited up and in line. Had a banana about an hour before the start and a gu about 20 minutes before. Sipped on a bottle of gu20 all the while. Pee'd twice so I knew I was pretty well hydrated.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and arm movements. Separate t1 & t2 make it difficult to do anything otherwise.
Swim
  • 22m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was pretty crowded in the water. Got close to the front but it was pretty jammed there. Got a decent start. There was definitely some jostling around but there were about 175 guys in my wave so them's the brakes. It got pretty clear by the first turn buoy and I found some decent feet to sit on. Kind of bounced around between a few guys, and tried to draft as much as I could. Before the 2nd buoy we hit traffic, and lots of it. The Clydesdales went off in front of us and they were definitely making their presence felt. I took a good shot to the eye from a sidestroker, but it didn't knock my goggles off. The 3rd buoy on home was just weaving around traffic, but I did find a good set of feet from a guy in my wave and I just stuck behind him all the way to the docks.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I felt good about my swim. It took me a little while to get into a good breathing pattern but otherwise I felt strong.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

This was kind of a mess. Got to my rack ok and had my cap and goggles off and my suit down to my waist. I think my HR was pretty high as I felt pretty max'd out and kind of spent/out of sorts. Suit came off ok, definitely took a little bit because I was cramping in my hammies and calves. So that concerned me. Got the suit off, then you had to stuff it into a garbage bag with all of your other stuff and tie it up. Got bike stuff on and then I was out of there.
323/872 OA, 42/90 in AG.

It was definitely way out of routine so that didn't help, otherwise try not to get cramps while taking off the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 52s
  • 23.4 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt ok on the bike, getting into my left pedal I could feel the residual cramping in my left calf and that made it tough to get up the first hills getting out of town. The first part of the course I was kind struggling to find my rhythm. Didn't really get into a good groove until the bigger hill sections and the ride back down Generals Highway. Got passed by a fair amount of the service academy kids early on and then I did some passing myself before settling around a group of people who kept swapping positions. There were some pretty big packs of drafters, but I saw a bunch of them get penalties at least there was good enforcement of the rules. had a bottle of gu20 and about half a bottle of water.

Maybe push a little harder earlier on, but for some reason I just couldn't get into a solid rhythm. Probably still recovering from the rough T1, too.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Another pretty messy transition. I got in there and then headed towards my rack, but I was in the wrong aisle and they didn't number the whole aisle just that section, so I got confused when I went past a rack that was lower than my number and the next one was higher than my number...realized what was up and then got over to my rack. Then I went to the wrong side of the rack. Luckily there was space for me to scoot under to the other side to get my running stuff on. Shoes and socks were on pretty easily, race belt on and then that was it.

Figure out if I can do a 10k without socks. Make a better mental map of where my spot was and how to get there without having to look at the numbers.

37/90 in AG.
327/872 OA.
Run
  • 50m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a bit conservatively. Got into a decent groove after about a mile and was pouring water over my head at the aid stations as it was getting pretty warm out. Felt like it took forever to get out of the stadium grounds. Felt stronger as the run went on until I hit the bridge. Ran to the top of the bridge but I was hurting when I got up there, cruised back down and recovered well and got my stride back. Did much more passing than getting passed so that was encouraging. Saw Dtraining twice out there. Drank GE at a few aid stations and a bit of water.

Not much, I was a big worried about blowing up on the run as I didn't know quite what to expect from myself. I maybe could have pushed harder earlier on but I don't know if that was the smart thing to do for my first Olympic race, either.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and chatted with Dtraining, water and gatorade. met up with Shelly123 and wyecrab and talked for a bit and got some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I put in a solid effort overall. Wish the transitions were a little smoother. I was happy with my time and thought if all went well that I'd come in around 2:30, so going a few minutes faster was nice. Just keep on plugging away, and doing what I'm doing as it seems to be improving my fitness.

Event comments:

These guys are on the ball. There were cops and volunteers all over the course. This race should become a classic. It's kind of a pain with 2 transitions and the fact that you have to be there the day before, but they really put on a good event. Great venue, great volunteers, really nice course. Definitely be back for this one.

Last updated: 2007-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:33 | 1640 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/90
Overall: 46/872
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultrajohn
Course: Started at City Docks in Annapolis. Sort of a counter clockwise rectangle out into the harbor/Spa Creek.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:52 | 23.4 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/90
Overall: 428/872
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: basically and out and back with a loop on the, except that the start and finish were at different locations about a mile or 2 apart. some moderate rollers on the out/back section and then loop had a couple of good descents and good climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:15 | 06.21 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/90
Overall: 268/872
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat around the stadium grounds on various loops, then 2 out and back sections, one towards town and then the other headed to the Severn River Bridge, run to the top of the bridge, turn around and head for home. Finish line on 50 yard line of the stadium with you pictured on the jumbotron.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 12:05 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: Annapolis Triathlon

2007-09-10 12:11 PM
in reply to: #958162

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Annapolis Triathlon

Great race! Especially for your first oly distance! You are very lucky to seem to have all of the pieces of the triathlon down - an excellent swim bike and run!

I was thinking as I came into T2 that I was VERY lucky to find my spot so quickly. I use a hotpink towel under my shoes and that helped me see that in fact I was in the right location. It was hard to really judge where the racks were in the pitch black dark while setting up that morning.

2007-09-10 12:18 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

It's good to see that I wasn't the only one with crappy transitions!!  But take heart in knowing that mine were even slower than yours.

And that was a frickin' smokin' swim!!  Awesome work!!

Congrats on the finish!!

2007-09-10 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great race - really nice times in all three events. Nice RR as well!
Olympic races rule for us fish.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Swimfest!
2007-09-12 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Way to go for your first race at this distance!!!  You did great.  You smoked the swim, even with all the traffic, and were speedy on the bike and run.  I can't imagine how weird it was having two TA's.  Congrats!!!
2007-09-13 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD

Awesome job. Congrats on putting your first Olympic in the books.  You really raced well...it was fun hanging out and finally meeting you.

2007-09-13 11:40 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan

Bring on a Half Ironman!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Annapolis Triathlon Rss Feed